IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interior Organizeration Thread (Where to Put Your Phone??)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 10:07 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my sunglasses I keep it in its case and I put the case in the door cup holder area. For my phone I put it in the door hand slot thingie.
Old 12-18-13, 10:11 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iPinky
Mine is the 5S. There was a thread about troubleshooting the text to speech feature. In your phone's BT settings for your car, Show Notifications has to be turned on. After turning this on, it started working. This is the screenshot of the settings for my car.

Attachment 308637
Thank you for the information. I was following that thread but I must have stopped reading it after I saw it wasn't possible with iPhone5. I'll give this a try when I get my car, hopefully next week.
Old 12-18-13, 10:22 PM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by iamthafeez

Umm...how do you change the name of your car?!?!
From your car's nav, hit the Menu button, select Phone, select System Settings, highlight Bluetooth Name and select it, delete the default name and enter your desired name.

I'm glad to hear your wife is happy with the text to speech!

Originally Posted by SonyHome

Thank you for the information. I was following that thread but I must have stopped reading it after I saw it wasn't possible with iPhone5. I'll give this a try when I get my car, hopefully next week.
Glad I could pass along the info and help.
Old 12-19-13, 01:19 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 2 5s, one personal one for work, I just connect my personal one, and sure it will read text from the screen; but when it encounter abbrev, it will sound stupid.

And I have wechet, whatsapp, and BBM; these all the mostly use one and will have to pick up the phone to read it becoz of work stuff(of coz when stop )

I don't understand why they change the design for the center console, the old one will slide back a bit and open, I know it is because it only have one cup holder in the old one; but the should keep that feature, it will be easier to plug your phone

I had thought put the phone on the panel, but I have element case, which is metal and don't want to scratch it (and some idiot scratch it already when they detail the car before deliver, clearly is dirty cloth )

I tired to put it over the nav screen, but it is too far to reach it... so still end up in cup holder which will move around when turn

I really think will eventually switch to AMG if Lexus don't do some updates on the system and the engine also Tesla was also a consideration LOL
Old 12-19-13, 07:57 AM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

From your car's nav, hit the Menu button, select Phone, select System Settings, highlight Bluetooth Name and select it, delete the default name and enter your desired name.

I'm glad to hear your wife is happy with the text to speech!

Glad I could pass along the info and help.
Thanks for the info! Also, I don't have a wife..LOL
Old 12-19-13, 11:18 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is not a great spot for my iphone. I like to be able to see the screen of my phone and not have to pick it up to see who is texting me or email notifications. The seats are so low that even laying it on the passenger seat was a pain to reach over and grab it.
So basically the phone has been on my lap most of the time which I dont like.
I have a hard case on my phone so I was concerned with scratching the dash up if I was to put it anywhere in plain sight.
I just moved in a new house so I noticed my wife cutting this black shelving liner for a drawer when I had the idea to use it for my phone. Its super soft, and anything placed on it is locked into place and will not slide! I just cut a piece out to fit and now I have a perfect spot to lay my phone and not scratch up the dash! It covers the seat heater buttons but you can still see the lights and use them normally. Plus its simple to remove in a second if you dont want to be "embarrassed" when friends are with you. But honestly it looks pretty good. It matches well with the design and looks better in person than this pic!

Anyways, thought I would share!

Old 12-19-13, 03:23 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used the same solution in my car.
I used an anti sliding mat tho, the kind that are made for putting on top of the dashboard to prevent loose items from sliding around.
I also cut it a bit more, so the buttons for the heated seats can be operated without having the mat in the way.

Originally Posted by gocubs08
There is not a great spot for my iphone. I like to be able to see the screen of my phone and not have to pick it up to see who is texting me or email notifications. The seats are so low that even laying it on the passenger seat was a pain to reach over and grab it.
So basically the phone has been on my lap most of the time which I dont like.
I have a hard case on my phone so I was concerned with scratching the dash up if I was to put it anywhere in plain sight.
I just moved in a new house so I noticed my wife cutting this black shelving liner for a drawer when I had the idea to use it for my phone. Its super soft, and anything placed on it is locked into place and will not slide! I just cut a piece out to fit and now I have a perfect spot to lay my phone and not scratch up the dash! It covers the seat heater buttons but you can still see the lights and use them normally. Plus its simple to remove in a second if you dont want to be "embarrassed" when friends are with you. But honestly it looks pretty good. It matches well with the design and looks better in person than this pic!

Anyways, thought I would share!

Old 12-19-13, 05:59 PM
McBrain
Driver

Here is a thought that might explain the lack of "misc" storage. I think the designers envisioned the BT connectivity allowing the driver to just keep their phone in their pocket or handbag (for the ladies). This allowed them to make the interior look less utilitarian.

That aside, I put my phone in one of the cup holders
Old 12-19-13, 08:04 PM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by McBrain
Here is a thought that might explain the lack of "misc" storage. I think the designers envisioned the BT connectivity allowing the driver to just keep their phone in their pocket or handbag (for the ladies). This allowed them to make the interior look less utilitarian.

That aside, I put my phone in one of the cup holders
And probably also to promote safer driving. I think they did it on purpose so that we wouldn't have an easy access to our phone. I will say, having my phone up on the ledge in front of the nav screen has discouraged me from wanting to check my phone as often as I used to.
Old 12-20-13, 01:10 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And probably also to promote safer driving. I think they did it on purpose so that we wouldn't have an easy access to our phone. I will say, having my phone up on the ledge in front of the nav screen has discouraged me from wanting to check my phone as often as I used to.
That is the idea; however, it is not working... since most of the details is not showing on the nav screen; unless they do full iOS and Android sync, it will never work. I believe one of the car in Ford or other brand is going to fully support iOS

Lexus... please just update your aging system to support multi-language !!!!!!!! It is 2014 !!!!! And lets forget about your own system, just use Google map, much better and update quicker... those live traffic is never correct... shows yellow when there is nothing on the road 7am in the morning on the strip in Vegas... come on!
Old 12-21-13, 08:05 PM
addienicho
Driver

i put mine in the side door so its easy to access. but when i lived overseas almost everybody had these side door holders for their cell phones, cigs, and stuff.