IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interior Organizeration Thread (Where to Put Your Phone??)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 12:07 AM
mike927
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
Its not just the center console is bad design, the whole car have almost no storage unless you get the no nav version which have a space for you phone. That space between the heat warmer should be a small storage from the design, but they didn't do it and wasted the space.

I don't understand why designer think everyone will connect their phone and leave them in the pocket, I think most of the people still take it out and put it in the car while driving, I don't like having stuff in my pocket while driving, coz its not comfortable.

And the system only read 3 languages also cause me must have the phone out, can't believe 2014 still won't support Chinese (which a 2013 C class does on my rental... very disappointed on this)

Anyways, I use the cup holder to put my phones, and I carry 2 phones everyday
I feel your pain on the two phone thing. Sometimes I just leave my phone on top of the mouse control covering the seat warmers towards the passenger seat.I have a Galaxy S3 and it does not move much while driving in that position. Don't need to have the seat warmers showing for passenger with no passengers.
Old 12-17-13, 01:55 AM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by abcsoup
If I'm not charging it, then sometimes I place it on the ledge below the navigation screen. If I am charging it, it usually ends up in one of the cupholders or in the center console.
I always place my phone on top of the ledge in front of the nav. My iPhone case and the surface of the ledge keep the phone from sliding off. And since the cord is long enough, it's always connected to the USB charger too.
Old 12-17-13, 01:56 AM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by iamthafeez
All good points! And although the bluetooth makes most of your phone's functions accessible through the car, my main concern is text messages (or even changing songs on Spotify). Since you can't read texts through the navigation screen unless the vehicle is traveling at a slow speed or completely stopped, I have to physically pick up my phone to check which I think is counter-intuitive. Spotify song information doesn't show up at all so I have to use the phone then as well. I just don't like having to (sort of) reach behind me (where the first cup holder is) and/or reach over to the passenger seat to grab my phone.

"I'm going to wait till the END of my 2 hour car ride before I check/answer any of my texts." - Said no one ever.
My nav reads the text outloud while I'm driving. No need to read my texts since the car does it for me. Some of the texts she reads out loud make me chuckle.
Old 12-17-13, 10:43 AM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iPinky
My nav reads the text outloud while I'm driving. No need to read my texts since the car does it for me. Some of the texts she reads out loud make me chuckle.
Haha yeah text-to-voice can be pretty hilarious at times. Although it's great when driving alone, when you have other people in the car and have friends that send some interesting texts it's better to have some privacy lol.
Old 12-17-13, 12:00 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What phone do you have? I have iPhone 5 and read that this feature isn't available with it.
Old 12-17-13, 12:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
What phone do you have? I have iPhone 5 and read that this feature isn't available with it.
It works with my iPhone 5. It's just very finicky to set up.
Old 12-17-13, 01:55 PM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

You have to be connected via bluetooth. Then under settings, go to the phone menu and hit select. After, you'll have a couple of menu options (I don't remember off the top of my head) and you want to select "Messaging." In the messaging menu, it should have an option to read text out loud and at what volume.

I'm not certain about this but you may also have to set the messaging mode to "Full-Screen" instead of "Pop-up."

Hope you get it to work!
Old 12-17-13, 02:11 PM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I keep my phone in my pocket, and if not there then I dump it in a cupholder. Inevitably I have to do that anyway since I find that "read texts aloud" function totally worthless, although unintentionally hilarious. Also, I end up using it for NAV as well since the traffic is often wrong/behind, and doesn't include streets (at least here in LA).

As far as the sunglasses go, I was shocked to not have a sunglasses holder, but based on some recommendations here I bought the "Croakies Shade Dock Visor Clip" off Amazon for $9.98 Prime, attached it to the passenger visor nearest the driver's side, and have been very happy with the quality and usability of it -- although still pretty much outraged in general about the tackiness of not having a dedicated sunglasses holder in a supposed luxury car.
Old 12-17-13, 02:20 PM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by albino1
I keep my phone in my pocket, and if not there then I dump it in a cupholder. Inevitably I have to do that anyway since I find that "read texts aloud" function totally worthless, although unintentionally hilarious. Also, I end up using it for NAV as well since the traffic is often wrong/behind, and doesn't include streets (at least here in LA).

As far as the sunglasses go, I was shocked to not have a sunglasses holder, but based on some recommendations here I bought the "Croakies Shade Dock Visor Clip" off Amazon for $9.98 Prime, attached it to the passenger visor nearest the driver's side, and have been very happy with the quality and usability of it -- although still pretty much outraged in general about the tackiness of not having a dedicated sunglasses holder in a supposed luxury car.
Dude the sunglasses holder you mentioned looks awesome! I think I might have to pick it up since the room in the center console isn't super deep to hold glasses and other random stuff.

Anyone know of any sticky pads that function well and also look aesthetically pleasing?
Old 12-17-13, 02:36 PM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will say that I never in a million years thought that a visor clip sunglasses holder would even be very functional, but the thing is pretty great. It's not cheap, my sunglasses slide in and out of it very easily, and once in there locked in place they're not wobbling around or anything. I've asked several passengers if it bugs them, and all of them have said that the position I've placed them in is completely out of the way and doesn't bother them at all. FWIW, I'd highly recommend it to any IS people who are having sunglasses issues.
Old 12-17-13, 02:49 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My phone sits in my lap.
Old 12-17-13, 04:07 PM
wulfstan
Rookie

Phone sits between gear shift and ML front plate...
Coins go in a coin cup that fits the upholder...
Take pics later...

Johnny
Old 12-18-13, 12:31 PM
iPinky
Driver

Mine is the 5S. There was a thread about troubleshooting the text to speech feature. In your phone's BT settings for your car, Show Notifications has to be turned on. After turning this on, it started working. This is the screenshot of the settings for my car.

Interior Organizeration Thread (Where to Put Your Phone??)-image-4195489655.jpg
Old 12-18-13, 03:17 PM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

Mine is the 5S. There was a thread about troubleshooting the text to speech feature. In your phone's BT settings for your car, Show Notifications has to be turned on. After turning this on, it started working. This is the screenshot of the settings for my car.

Attachment 308637
Umm...how do you change the name of your car?!?!
Old 12-18-13, 06:27 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Attachment 308637
Very helpful, thank you!! Wife is happy now that her 5S will read her texts. Now if only my 5S would work with my camry. My lumia did, which is kind of bizaare.

Quick Reply: Interior Organizeration Thread (Where to Put Your Phone??)