IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interior Organizeration Thread (Where to Put Your Phone??)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 08:17 AM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Organizeration Thread (Where to Put Your Phone??)

What are some ways you have adapted to the horribly designed center console? Since there is pretty much no space to put change or your phone, has anyone seen or bought something to make their lives easier in terms of organizing the interior of their 3IS?

I was thinking of finding a little holder and putting it between the seat warmer buttons (since it's pretty much open space).

Let me know!
Old 12-16-13, 11:42 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iamthafeez
What are some ways you have adapted to the horribly designed center console? Since there is pretty much no space to put change or your phone, has anyone seen or bought something to make their lives easier in terms of organizing the interior of their 3IS?

I was thinking of finding a little holder and putting it between the seat warmer buttons (since it's pretty much open space).

Let me know!
I keep my iPhone inside the console, plugged into the "cigarette lighter" outlet. Since I use the voice commands to operate the phone, I can keep the phone fully charged and out of the way at the same time.
Old 12-16-13, 12:50 PM
abcsoup
Driver

If I'm not charging it, then sometimes I place it on the ledge below the navigation screen. If I am charging it, it usually ends up in one of the cupholders or in the center console.
Old 12-16-13, 01:34 PM
enoren
Pole Position

I miss the ashtray, which used to hold spare change after going through the drive-through window. Now I don't store change in my car and take it inside with me. It's actually better this way.

With the Bluetooth connection for my phone, there's no need to take it out of my pocket. In the '09, I put the phone in the console plugged into the audio jack. Now the phone stays in my pocket unless I need to charge it. Again, it's better this way than the old way.

The sunglass holder isn't a problem for me because the OEM holder in the 2IS was too small to hold Oakleys. I installed a visor clip, which works just as well in the 3IS.

The glove box was the biggest headache because the manuals and the shelf take up so much space. I removed the manuals and use the manual on my iPhone, if needed. I also removed the shelf to provide more space.

Overall, the 3IS has caused me to change some habits, but I think my new habits are better or no worse than the old ones, so it's a net gain for me.
Old 12-16-13, 01:43 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

How do you remove the tray?
Old 12-16-13, 02:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ Similar to the 2IS (and other Lexus if you owned any). The shelf has prongs on its right and back toward the firewall. So grab the tray in the middle, pull left then towards you.
Old 12-16-13, 02:21 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iamthafeez

Let me know!
Its not just the center console is bad design, the whole car have almost no storage unless you get the no nav version which have a space for you phone. That space between the heat warmer should be a small storage from the design, but they didn't do it and wasted the space.

I don't understand why designer think everyone will connect their phone and leave them in the pocket, I think most of the people still take it out and put it in the car while driving, I don't like having stuff in my pocket while driving, coz its not comfortable.

And the system only read 3 languages also cause me must have the phone out, can't believe 2014 still won't support Chinese (which a 2013 C class does on my rental... very disappointed on this)

Anyways, I use the cup holder to put my phones, and I carry 2 phones everyday
Old 12-16-13, 02:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Incentive to not get Nav:
Attached Thumbnails Interior Organizeration Thread (Where to Put Your Phone??)-phone1.jpg  
Old 12-16-13, 02:40 PM
KumaF
Driver

I am used to keeping my phone in my pocket anyway, since here in Toronto it is illegal to hold on a hand held device when driving, even briefly. If I have my phone out in the cup holder or some other places, I might pick it up once in a while out of habit, which could mean tickets and demerit points
Old 12-16-13, 02:47 PM
antonyw
Driver School Candidate

My iphone 5s goes in the console connected to a cig lighter USB charger via a short amazon cable. Only the ipod nano connects to the dedicated USB ports since the car gets upset when the 5s is plugged into those. If it's a short drive the phone goes in the cupholder(s).
Old 12-16-13, 02:55 PM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

All good points! And although the bluetooth makes most of your phone's functions accessible through the car, my main concern is text messages (or even changing songs on Spotify). Since you can't read texts through the navigation screen unless the vehicle is traveling at a slow speed or completely stopped, I have to physically pick up my phone to check which I think is counter-intuitive. Spotify song information doesn't show up at all so I have to use the phone then as well. I just don't like having to (sort of) reach behind me (where the first cup holder is) and/or reach over to the passenger seat to grab my phone.

"I'm going to wait till the END of my 2 hour car ride before I check/answer any of my texts." - Said no one ever.
Old 12-16-13, 03:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If my phone isn't in my pocket, it's either in the cup holder, charging in the center console, or sometimes I rest it in the handle/grip of the door.

I keep my sunglasses in a case in the center console, where I also keep a small bag for coins, and a tin of Altoids.

I keep a water bottle in the door pocket, along with a microfiber cloth to dust the dash.

And that's it for me.
Old 12-16-13, 03:23 PM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
If my phone isn't in my pocket, it's either in the cup holder, charging in the center console, or sometimes I rest it in the handle/grip of the door.

I keep my sunglasses in a case in the center console, where I also keep a small bag for coins, and a tin of Altoids.

I keep a water bottle in the door pocket, along with a microfiber cloth to dust the dash.

And that's it for me.
I think sunglasses in the center console is fine. It's actually great for that. I don't usually have my phone in my pocket though because of answering texts or changing songs.
Old 12-16-13, 05:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i have a Note 2 so I have to put it in the door handle on the armrest. It doesnt fit in the cup holders.
Old 12-16-13, 06:01 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i have a Note 2 so I have to put it in the door handle on the armrest. It doesnt fit in the cup holders.
You should replace the Nav screen for the note 2 , sure it's almost the same size !!! Lol just playing

Quick Reply: Interior Organizeration Thread (Where to Put Your Phone??)