IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How much below MSRP you paid?

Old 12-15-13, 06:48 PM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face How much below MSRP you paid?

I am new in car prices negotiation stuff. Now, am getting close to find the IS am looking for. So before heading my dealer I want to know how much you guys paid below the MSRP?

Also, what about invoice price? Can dealers show it to me? Can I get below the invoice price as well?
Anything else I have to consider in my price negotiation?

Many thanks
Old 12-15-13, 07:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you can check edmunds for the invoice pricing
Old 12-15-13, 08:00 PM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you can check edmunds for the invoice pricing
That's great and will help me. Thanks a lot :-)

I hope other guys here can share their experience too. Looking forward to know more please
Old 12-15-13, 08:26 PM
fast350
Driver School Candidate

Well they cant sell below invoice because that is what they pay lexus for the car. So you're going to have to be somewhere between msrp and invoice. I think you will have a little wiggle room if you are negotiating for a car that's on the lot rather than something you are ordering or they will have to get from another dealer.
Old 12-15-13, 09:03 PM
jimthegree
Driver School Candidate

It's the end of the year and you can get invoice or below.

I just bought my IS250 F-sport for 900 under invoice last weekend.
Old 12-15-13, 09:36 PM
klrgoten
Driver School Candidate

I was at the dealer today negotiating my price for an IS350. MSRP was $48,062. Negotiated price = $43,710. Fsport, nav + ml, blind spot, peff acc package.
Old 12-15-13, 10:48 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hushero
I am new in car prices negotiation stuff. Now, am getting close to find the IS am looking for. So before heading my dealer I want to know how much you guys paid below the MSRP?

Also, what about invoice price? Can dealers show it to me? Can I get below the invoice price as well?
Anything else I have to consider in my price negotiation?

Many thanks
Many dealers have an internet sales associate because many transactions happen over the internet these days and dealers need to be prepared for people like us who come in and say, "Look here is the KBB quote, here is the Edmunds quote, here is the USAA quote and I want this price or I walk." So they need someone who can handle people like us. On top of that the internet salesman has a different invoice price than the typical salesman because the cars they sell have to be more competitive as they're competing regionally than city wide. There is more margin to bargain with on a IS 250 than a IS 350 though so the higher price you go the less room you have to negotiate with. So you could ask for their internet sales trader. That is who I go through here.

Denver is better than where I live as it looks like there is 3 dealers in your area. We have one in ABQ and one in Santa Fe. Both dealerships have the same owner so we lack competition. Places like California have multiple dealers so if you don't like one you can just go down the street. There is nothing stopping us from buying from one of these dealers as well but keep in mind you can't see the car they are going to send you (and I've heard horror stories ...like 5k miles on a brand new car, ya joy ride miles from the dealer) and you have to pay a shipping fee on top of that so you have to factor that price into your negotiation if you go that route.

If you don't like the dealerships there than you can consider places you feel comfortable driving it yourself from if you wish to avoid the transport fee. Dealerships do treat you better if you buy the car from them so if that means something to you than it might be worth the premium price to have a good rapport you will be taking your car for maintenance.

Don't come in empty handed. Bring in quotes. I like multiple websites because if you come in with just say KBB they may say something retarded like, "We don't recognize KBB as their values are off." Then you say fine, I also got USAA (or TrueCar ...same engine), and Edmunds. At that point they know you did your research and will take you a bit more seriously.

Not sure how these links will work out as I've never tried posting them on a forum before but here is pricing for the same option package (had to cheat on one since it doesn't have the port options) in your area.

TrueCar - Lexus IS 350 F-Sport w/ ML Nav, BSM and one option to push MSRP up to $48k

Kelly Blue Book - Lexus IS 350 F-Sport w/ ML Nav, BSM and trunk mat option

Edmunds - Lexus IS 350 F-Sport w/ ML Nav, BSM and trunk mat option

If you look at TrueCar you can see $45.6k for a $48k car is your target. So maybe aim for the moon at first and settle on that. Is it as sexy as the CA guy getting $43.7k for his? ...ya no but he has more options. If you ship from CA than you are probably looking at a price approaching $45k, and that is assuming you negotiate hard enough to get that CA dealership to sell to you for $43. If you go to Longo Lexus in CA they are a massive volume dealership so your chances of negotiating are higher. Though everyone has their own opinions on mass volume dealers.

Also if you are trading a car in, make sure they don't give you a good deal on the car you are buying but screw you over on trade in. So also price out your trade in and take those values in.

I find Lexus to be very reasonable to deal with. Even though they know I have NO car (I'm in their loaner), I have no other options in the state and I want a car that is currently not on their lot I am getting a "Great" (TrueCar/USAA) price even for CA. It's not sexy and I still wish it was $1.7k less but car-less drivers can't be too picky.

Originally Posted by klrgoten
I was at the dealer today negotiating my price for an IS350. MSRP was $48,062. Negotiated price = $43,710. Fsport, nav + ml, blind spot, peff acc package.
Always wanted to ask this question for the people scoring $43.7k deals - lease or own?
Old 12-16-13, 05:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by klrgoten
dunno how you Cali guys are getting such good deals. In my area true car was saying about 46500 for my build is a good price, I got mine for $45500 or so so its better than the TMV of the area but still not as good as some Cali prices I've seen. Oh well
Old 12-16-13, 05:39 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

I went to the dealer yesterday for an is250 bone stock. They said they were out and could offer me a 350 fully loaded with nav and all. I have it a go and started negotiating. I walked out with a 47000 is350 for 41,000. They did say they were losing a lot of money. Their loss my gain 😃
Old 12-16-13, 06:16 AM
McBrain
Driver

The problem with these threads is that most deals are not the same.

For example comparing a lease vs cash buy or financing. With a cash buy, the dealer makes no money on the financing or lease. Unless you buy cash, you're paying a lot more for the car than you really think, especially leases.

Also, don't compare a popular color combo vs an unpopular one. For example, here in Texas, you can get a great deal on a black-on-black (in the thousands better).

Lastly, invoice has _nothing_ to do with what the dealer paid for the car. Any car they sell at invoice, they are making a very tidy sum of money.
Old 12-16-13, 06:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRGS300
I went to the dealer yesterday for an is250 bone stock. They said they were out and could offer me a 350 fully loaded with nav and all. I have it a go and started negotiating. I walked out with a 47000 is350 for 41,000. They did say they were losing a lot of money. Their loss my gain 😃
youll enjoy the 350 a LOT more, congrats. Sometimes dealers will lose money on the car on purpose so they can get a factory incentive. If they need to sell 5 more cards quick to get $20k worth of incentives then they could take a small loss on the car to gain a $4k incentive per car if they meet a quota. Good deal for the customer
Old 12-16-13, 09:50 AM
fast350
Driver School Candidate

Man sounds like yall got some good deals. Congrats on the new cars!
Old 12-16-13, 10:22 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oh how I am wishing this happens to me! I want a 350 so bad!
Old 12-16-13, 04:42 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wednesday
Oh how I am wishing this happens to me! I want a 350 so bad!
I actually didnt want to pay more that 400 for a 250 but for 30 bucks more on a 350 loaded, I couldnt pass up that deal. Hope you get a good deal when you go!!
Old 12-16-13, 05:54 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I actually didnt want to pay more that 400 for a 250 but for 30 bucks more on a 350 loaded, I couldnt pass up that deal. Hope you get a good deal when you go!!
I think I will see what they can do on a 350, I told her I really wanted a 350 but needed a lower payment so we will see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much below MSRP you paid?