Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

DIY radar detector and Blackvue camera installation

Old 01-29-14, 09:48 AM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just reporting back on results.

It was very intimidating as I would hate to be the person that breaks their new Lexus during their 2nd week of ownership. I was able to successfully wire up my Lukas 7900 using OP's instructions - it was extremely helpful!

Just take your time and ensure to make sure you know what you are doing.
Old 01-30-14, 08:53 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i just pulled a video off that i made yesterday when me and my wife were driving to denver. don't mind the conversation she was looking up a word on the web. and we talked about the white car to the right who had a bad alignment and the tires were wearing real bad on the inside.

choose the view on youtube option on the lower right of the preview windows here so you can see it in 1080p for the front and 720p for the rear

front view driving in castle rock - YouTube
rear view driving in castle rock - YouTube

if you pick the highest resolution and view it full screen you can make your own judgement.
Thanks. Bass Mech. The videos look great except some little pixelation which I think is acceptable. For two-channel dash cam, what you have is considered the best in market right now.
Old 01-30-14, 08:57 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nonopeno
Just reporting back on results.

It was very intimidating as I would hate to be the person that breaks their new Lexus during their 2nd week of ownership. I was able to successfully wire up my Lukas 7900 using OP's instructions - it was extremely helpful!

Just take your time and ensure to make sure you know what you are doing.
Nonopeno, I am considering to put Lukas 7900 in the IS soon.. Did you wire it up on the driver's fuse box or the passenger's? Reason is due to the larger size of Lukas 7900, it seems logical to put it on the right side of the rear mirror. The Blackvue doesn't have this problem because it is much smaller. Where the OP put ---- slightly below the rear mirror --- is quite logical if hiding it is a top priority.

Mind showing some pictures?
Old 01-31-14, 05:48 AM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyL
Nonopeno, I am considering to put Lukas 7900 in the IS soon.. Did you wire it up on the driver's fuse box or the passenger's? Reason is due to the larger size of Lukas 7900, it seems logical to put it on the right side of the rear mirror. The Blackvue doesn't have this problem because it is much smaller. Where the OP put ---- slightly below the rear mirror --- is quite logical if hiding it is a top priority.

Mind showing some pictures?
Hi AndyL,

I did mount it to the driver's fuse box as I followed OP's instructions tit for tat (didn't even know there's a fuse box on the passenger side).

It's situated on the right side of the rear view mirror and hidden from view from the driver. I will snap some pictures tonight to show you.
Old 01-31-14, 05:20 PM
morton87
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice setup Base Mech, i am looking at putting in the BlackVue as well but wasn't sure yet how i was going to do since my car is on a lease also. Though i think i need need get my tinting done before i put them in at least for the rear window.
Old 01-31-14, 06:40 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nonopeno
Hi AndyL,

I did mount it to the driver's fuse box as I followed OP's instructions tit for tat (didn't even know there's a fuse box on the passenger side).

It's situated on the right side of the rear view mirror and hidden from view from the driver. I will snap some pictures tonight to show you.
Thanks nonopeno in advance. Actually, sorry for the confusion. For 3IS, there is only one fuse box inside the car -- it is the fuse box under the Driver's seat. I was confused with my previous 2IS as 2IS does have two fuse boxes inside the car -- one on the driver's side and the other one on the passenger side.

Last edited by AndyL; 05-02-15 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 01:54 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

Hi, All-

I wanted to report back on my install and my issue. It turns out that when you have the system hardwired into the vehicle you need to make sure they install a relay switch on the yellow wire. My installer had this issue and by troubleshooting he came up with this solution. The system is working perfectly now! Very happy with the end result. I followed Bass Mech or Bass Man! advice on hiding the silver lining with fabric black tape, I even did the sivler ring around the lens as well!
Old 02-01-14, 01:59 PM
phungy
Driver

I don't think I'm brave enough to do this DIY myself.... I hardwired my V1 to my Scion tC 8 years ago but the steps were different and easier. Anyone in the DFW want to help me? I'll supply booze & food
Old 02-16-14, 07:09 PM
mj7801
Driver School Candidate

Nice write up. I will be installing my V1 tomorrow.
Old 02-18-14, 01:59 AM
morton87
Rookie

I finally got around to order the 2CH BlackVue, should be here tomorrow so i can have fun installing it tomorrow night
Old 02-18-14, 10:20 AM
shreddog
Driver

Thanks for the write up. Actually makes me consider getting one of these.

I take it that these recordings can just easily work against you. Can the courts force you to provide the video if something happens? Ex. if the radio is on loud and I get into an accident, would that be "evidence" that I may have been distracted?
Old 02-18-14, 04:41 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shreddog
Thanks for the write up. Actually makes me consider getting one of these.

I take it that these recordings can just easily work against you. Can the courts force you to provide the video if something happens? Ex. if the radio is on loud and I get into an accident, would that be "evidence" that I may have been distracted?
its your evidence, you can decide to disclose if any or part of it exists depending on your situation, you can also remove the sound if you like.
Old 02-18-14, 06:25 PM
mj7801
Driver School Candidate

I like using the concealed V1 display. Not too many mounting options in the IS. So I disassembled the front panel of the concealed display and set it up on the drivers side. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails DIY radar detector and Blackvue camera installation-image-3847994115.jpg   DIY radar detector and Blackvue camera installation-image-2419432566.jpg  
Old 02-18-14, 06:36 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the install looks ok i guess, personally i think the V1 is a total joke, but hey if you like to hear the thing going off all the time thats up to you.
Old 02-26-14, 11:22 PM
morton87
Rookie

I was finally able to get some time to install the 2CH BlackVue earlier this week. Install went smoothly and this guide was spot on how to get everything installed. Only thing i still need to adjust is the rear camera for angle and sideways to avoid the lines from the defrost lines that i thought i had already compensated for.

Bass Mech did you have tint on your back window, and if so did you cut a hole in it for your rear camera? I ask cause in my case i do have tint though at 18% and the video quality for the rear camera for me is quite low.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY radar detector and Blackvue camera installation