Print Wikipost

DIY radar detector and Blackvue camera installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 06:46 AM
Base9se
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you can compile a video series of stupid people driving. I would call mine Drivers of Houston, like the People of Walmart website
Gotta love Houston drivers especially in the rain.
Old 12-30-13, 07:01 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my blackvue installed with the wire hidden without opening the pillar. I will post up a write-up later. (And thanks to Bass Mech)
Old 12-30-13, 07:23 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice install. Report on the performance of the Blackvue, thanks.
Old 12-30-13, 08:41 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am using Vico Vation Camera, Blackvue is also good!
Old 01-05-14, 11:06 AM
phungy
Driver

Thank you writing this up with photos!
Old 01-10-14, 02:22 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

Thank you for the write-up Bass Mech!

I had a couple of questions:

1. How did you know to choose those fuses without causing an issue with the car internal electronics? You say "1 amp" total, was this listed on the instructions for install by Blackvue?

2. I already have a 2-way Viper alarm installed on my 3IS with a tilt sensor, glass break sensor and a black up battery for the alarm. I was wondering if I did your install, it would cause issue? I am also considering have a place to the install, but your write-up made it seem so simple that I might considering doing it myself.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-14, 06:36 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014IS250
Thank you for the write-up Bass Mech! I had a couple of questions: 1. How did you know to choose those fuses without causing an issue with the car internal electronics? You say "1 amp" total, was this listed on the instructions for install by Blackvue? 2. I already have a 2-way Viper alarm installed on my 3IS with a tilt sensor, glass break sensor and a black up battery for the alarm. I was wondering if I did your install, it would cause issue? I am also considering have a place to the install, but your write-up made it seem so simple that I might considering doing it myself. Thanks in advance.
I know the amp draw because in the specifications it mentioned the power consumption in watts it actually draws about 500 milia maps or about .5 amps

The fuses were chosen because they have constant power for the battery connection and a switched power that turns on with the ignition. This wire is only used to tell the power magic the car just turned off and the count down timer begins. Once the car is started again it resets the process over again.
This way the camera will stay on for the parking feature to work
Old 01-23-14, 09:19 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

Bass Mech,

Which system did you use? I purchased the DR550 model and it didn't work with IS 250. The keyless remote was dropped by the car. I had it professional installed. It systems to be causing interference. I am thinking about putting the DR 500. Thanks!
Old 01-23-14, 09:42 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2014IS250
Bass Mech,

Which system did you use? I purchased the DR550 model and it didn't work with IS 250. The keyless remote was dropped by the car. I had it professional installed. It systems to be causing interference. I am thinking about putting the DR 500. Thanks!
i installed the same one DR550GW no problems, if your keyless is not working someone messed with your install.
although I've never had this issue maybe it has something to do with the wifi.
go into settings on your iPhone and set the wifi to off. this way it only comes on when you manually turn it on otherwise it stays off.
also as a suggestion you really should turn all the LED indicator lights off you don't want them on at night it will attract attention to it.
cameras dont do you any good if a thief steals it.
Old 01-23-14, 11:10 PM
RaysurX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i installed the same one DR550GW no problems, if your keyless is not working someone messed with your install.
go into settings on your iPhone and set the wifi to off. this way it only comes on when you manually turn it on otherwise it stays off.
also as a suggestion you really should turn all the LED indicator lights off you don't want them on at night it will attract attention to it.

Agreed.
I also just installed the DR550GW. Installed everything following BASSMECH's tutorial and advice.
I have not had any keyless issues since installation. Your installer might have reset/shorted something in error.

Also you should turn off the indicator lights to avoid attention if you are using the PowerMagic in Park mode.

BassMech... Is it possible to also turn off the rear camera's (white) security LED off like the front cam? I set it to turn off via the app but it remains on both in PARK and DRIVE modes. Even after restarts too. Also my time setting was a pain to get it to display the correct time with the correct region.

Also to those just purchasing the Blackvue... as of 01/22 it looks like the Blackvue sites (Korean/English etc) have been hacked and riddled with malware. So be aware if you try to dload viewer and or firmwares... not a good idea until they get it sorted.
Old 01-24-14, 06:36 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RaysurX
Agreed.
I also just installed the DR550GW. Installed everything following BASSMECH's tutorial and advice.
I have not had any keyless issues since installation. Your installer might have reset/shorted something in error.

Also you should turn off the indicator lights to avoid attention if you are using the PowerMagic in Park mode.

BassMech... Is it possible to also turn off the rear camera's (white) security LED off like the front cam? I set it to turn off via the app but it remains on both in PARK and DRIVE modes. Even after restarts too. Also my time setting was a pain to get it to display the correct time with the correct region.

Also to those just purchasing the Blackvue... as of 01/22 it looks like the Blackvue sites (Korean/English etc) have been hacked and riddled with malware. So be aware if you try to dload viewer and or firmwares... not a good idea until they get it sorted.
i have not found a way to turn the little white led off either, but 2 things. mine is nestled up right at the headliner, its turned down enough where the whet led is just barely visible. i have mine pointed a little low because anything thats going to hit your car will be on the ground. you'll find the field of view is a little wider so you can see things next to the car if you sacrifice height to gain width in the field of view. also its less likely to get street light glare at night.

the second thing is you can simple place a piece of electrical tape over it. problem solved..

but IMO it is so hard to see way up there anyway even from outside i don't think it's an issue

speaking of lights I've often wondered if it is possible to have a strobe effect triggered by a proximity sensor so when someone walks up to the car to look in it will strobe maybe the dome light so it looks like a camera flash. then put a little sticker on the window that says "this vehicle is equipped with video surveillance. if your reading this, your picture has already been taken and uploaded to the cloud. if your smart, leave now!"

maybe if the guy who broke into my car had read that i might not have had to replace my windows and replace 1200 dollars worth of aviation equipment and my flight bag that was sitting behind my seat.

Last edited by Bass Mech; 01-24-14 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-24-14, 07:22 AM
2014IS250
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
Thank you Bass Mech!

The installer had issues with the Magic Pro (he hard wired it into the car), when he plugged in the unit to the Magic Pro, the car wouldn't start (didn't see the key). He then used a manual switch between the Magic Pro and the car to shutdown the system (DR550) completely, but when this switch was on (no power to the DR550), the car still wouldn't start. He had to completely unplug the Magic Pro in order for the car to see the key and start. Strange?

However, if he used just the cigaret lighter (with the cable provided by Blackvue), it worked fine, I checked the camera and it was recording. I should note, I couldn't get my iPhone to see the wifi on the DR550. I think the Magic Pro might be the issue. I purchased a new one and will try it once I receive the unit.

So Bass Mech, have I covered all my bases? Thank you again in advance!

Last edited by 2014IS250; 01-24-14 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-26-14, 05:22 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the detailed tutorial! I will be trying this out once the weather is warmer in Toronto. I am installing the Lukas 7900.

So really, just pull the panels out? how hard should I pull? Skeptical that I won' tbreak something..

Last edited by nonopeno; 01-26-14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 07:26 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bass Mech, thanks for your great write up with detailed pictures. I find it helpful especially the fuse part and what you experienced when taking out the panels.

How do you like the video quality of Blackvue 2-ch so far?
Old 01-27-14, 08:00 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
Bass Mech, thanks for your great write up with detailed pictures. I find it helpful especially the fuse part and what you experienced when taking out the panels.

How do you like the video quality of Blackvue 2-ch so far?
i just pulled a video off that i made yesterday when me and my wife were driving to denver. don't mind the conversation she was looking up a word on the web. and we talked about the white car to the right who had a bad alignment and the tires were wearing real bad on the inside.

choose the view on youtube option on the lower right of the preview windows here so you can see it in 1080p for the front and 720p for the rear

front view
rear view

if you pick the highest resolution and view it full screen you can make your own judgement.

Quick Reply: DIY radar detector and Blackvue camera installation