IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Radio Swap due to Nav Screen Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 10:14 AM
iPinky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine rebooted for the 2nd time while driving, listening to the radio, and I wasn't using the navigation. Screen just went black for like 3 seconds, then navigation screen came back on.
My icons reset to the default order again. Grrrr.
Old 01-04-14, 02:50 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Base9se
Well, my ML rebooted itself 4 times back to back last night. I downloaded the latest firmware almost 2 weeks ago so this is still an ongoing issue I would think for most of us. I'll keep monitoring this and bring it up to my dealer if this begins to happen more often as my baby only has 700 miles.
Your firmware download is most likely the issue. Mine didn't start rebooting until my firmware was "updated." In fact, mine rebooted within five minutes of leaving the dealer after the download. I should add that it's now been two weeks since my radio was replaced, and no issues thus far. Holding my breath though...

Last edited by UncleSpud; 01-04-14 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-06-14, 07:49 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had my radio replaced this past Saturday at Lexus of North Miami Beach, so far I haven't experienced any reboots but I did get 1 iPod error message. But I am I extremely happy its working without any issues thus far. The weird part is I got so use to it always messing up that I am not use to it being normal. Its almost to fast for me now and I keep expecting to see an error or reboot.
Old 01-06-14, 08:07 AM
redcupr
Driver

Lexus replaced my radio unit on Dec. 12th. Since then I've had six "hiccups" (music stops and screen goes blank for about 2 seconds). They always happen within a minute or two of starting the car.

Prior to replacement the radio (that had been updated to the 8500 software) was doing a full reboot, going back the logo screen and starting up.

Other than the hiccups, the system is working very well. So, I'll live with it for now. Eventually they need to solve it.
Old 01-08-14, 11:55 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Its been about 4 days since having my radio replaced and no issues. fingers crossed !
Old 01-09-14, 08:28 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redcupr
Lexus replaced my radio unit on Dec. 12th. Since then I've had six "hiccups" (music stops and screen goes blank for about 2 seconds). They always happen within a minute or two of starting the car.

Prior to replacement the radio (that had been updated to the 8500 software) was doing a full reboot, going back the logo screen and starting up.

Other than the hiccups, the system is working very well. So, I'll live with it for now. Eventually they need to solve it.
You have far more patience than I do. My radio/nav was replaced three weeks ago for constant rebooting after receiving the prior download to fix nav slowness. Had my first screen reboot this evening with the new radio. I live 100 miles from my closest dealer and was without my car for a week while Lexus replaced my radio. After the new radio was installed, it took nearly two hours to download the apps, reprogram the stereo, nav, and program the vehicle settings. PITA.

I don't blame the dealer, but clearly, Lexus needs to pull its head out and find a fix. So much for the vaunted Lexus reliability I bought into.
Old 01-09-14, 09:35 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
You have far more patience than I do. My radio/nav was replaced three weeks ago for constant rebooting after receiving the prior download to fix nav slowness. Had my first screen reboot this evening with the new radio. I live 100 miles from my closest dealer and was without my car for a week while Lexus replaced my radio. After the new radio was installed, it took nearly two hours to download the apps, reprogram the stereo, nav, and program the vehicle settings. PITA.

I don't blame the dealer, but clearly, Lexus needs to pull its head out and find a fix. So much for the vaunted Lexus reliability I bought into.
Sorry to hear about another reboot even on your new Nav!

Were you doing anything that could have made it reboot or just usual usage? I'm curious if using the USB port or Satellite Radio or something like that is causing this.

Check this video out!
Old 01-09-14, 10:26 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Sorry to hear about another reboot even on your new Nav!

Were you doing anything that could have made it reboot or just usual usage? I'm curious if using the USB port or Satellite Radio or something like that is causing this.

Check this video out!
http://youtu.be/wONH9fjIbkQ
Impressive vid Sony. I had no idea you could crash the radio that way. Hasn't happened to me (yet).

My radio crash conditions were similar to the previous radio: engine was cold (had driven the car less than a city block) and I was listening to my ipod, which was plugged into one of the usb ports. The screen blacked out for a few seconds, the music stopped, then the system rebooted, the start up screen reappeared, and the music came on. As I think about it, almost all of the resets happened within the first minute or so of starting the car. I was doing nothing extraordinary or unusual that might have overloaded the system.

Obviously, Lexus has a mess on its hands. It appears as if they have no idea how to fix this.
Old 01-09-14, 11:10 PM
Slust
Pole Position

That's horrible Spud!

This problem seems rampant enough that I am expecting it to happen at some point. Though to put things into perspective...

The 2013 Nissan Altima rental car I was driving had the ENTIRE dash go black when I stopped at a light. I mean clock and all it was nuts! The only thing that let me know the car was still on was the engine noise. It came back just as the light turned green fortunately.

My Benz and BMW friends have all taken their cars in for electrical problems. In fact they told me when I was considering the 335i and C/E350 that be prepared to have electrical problems because it WILL happen. And they aren't hating because they would gladly purchase BMW and Benz again but the common phrase is, "Germans are great with mechanics but horrible with electronics." Then say the opposite about the Japanese. Perhaps things are going the opposite direction or perhaps we are just experiencing growing pains with a new model year. Sure the IS isn't new but outside of the engine everything is practically brand new in the 3IS. I always said I wouldn't be beta tester for a car but I absolutely needed a car and the 3IS was just way too good to pass up on.

I'm not sure if this will work but after reading this thread I am going to try and make a strong effort to not do the following:
  • Not leave the radio in BlueTooth or Auxiliary mode when I turn the car off
  • Not have everything sync'd ...that vid guy says his dealer told him not to have address book auto update turned on
  • Not leave the radio running before turning the car off. I had to do this in several cars to prevent radio issues so I'm used to this habit anyway.
  • Not leave the radio in its buffer cache mode. If I Pause/Rewind radio to hit the 'Live' button before turning the car - learned this from home DVRs

I'm not going to pretend any of that will work but at least I will be able to rule some things out if this issue does hit my car.

Last edited by Slust; 01-09-14 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-10-14, 02:47 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slust
That's horrible Spud!

This problem seems rampant enough that I am expecting it to happen at some point. Though to put things into perspective...

The 2013 Nissan Altima rental car I was driving had the ENTIRE dash go black when I stopped at a light. I mean clock and all it was nuts! The only thing that let me know the car was still on was the engine noise. It came back just as the light turned green fortunately.

My Benz and BMW friends have all taken their cars in for electrical problems. In fact they told me when I was considering the 335i and C/E350 that be prepared to have electrical problems because it WILL happen. And they aren't hating because they would gladly purchase BMW and Benz again but the common phrase is, "Germans are great with mechanics but horrible with electronics." Then say the opposite about the Japanese. Perhaps things are going the opposite direction or perhaps we are just experiencing growing pains with a new model year. Sure the IS isn't new but outside of the engine everything is practically brand new in the 3IS. I always said I wouldn't be beta tester for a car but I absolutely needed a car and the 3IS was just way too good to pass up on.

I'm not sure if this will work but after reading this thread I am going to try and make a strong effort to not do the following:
  • Not leave the radio in BlueTooth or Auxiliary mode when I turn the car off
  • Not have everything sync'd ...that vid guy says his dealer told him not to have address book auto update turned on
  • Not leave the radio running before turning the car off. I had to do this in several cars to prevent radio issues so I'm used to this habit anyway.
  • Not leave the radio in its buffer cache mode. If I Pause/Rewind radio to hit the 'Live' button before turning the car - learned this from home DVRs

I'm not going to pretend any of that will work but at least I will be able to rule some things out if this issue does hit my car.
Slust, I hope your precautions help, but no one should have to go through a five-minute checklist before shutting down just to keep the stereo from going TU. We're driving a luxury car (in theory)--we're not piloting a 747 on final to JFK.

Here's the thing: I broke a longstanding practice of not buying a revised model in its first year of production. There are always teething pains. Why did I go against intuition? Because I was buying a LEXUS, a marque formerly known to be in the relentless pursuit of perfection. Lexus is now more like Microsoft, a company known for doing its beta testing on paying customers.
Old 01-10-14, 02:39 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Slust, I hope your precautions help, but no one should have to go through a five-minute checklist before shutting down just to keep the stereo from going TU. We're driving a luxury car (in theory)--we're not piloting a 747 on final to JFK.

Here's the thing: I broke a longstanding practice of not buying a revised model in its first year of production. There are always teething pains. Why did I go against intuition? Because I was buying a LEXUS, a marque formerly known to be in the relentless pursuit of perfection. Lexus is now more like Microsoft, a company known for doing its beta testing on paying customers.
It's more like a 5s checklist - press 'Mode' button, press the Volume button to turn it Off

I do agree with you but issues always arise in new/revised model years ...to EVERY car company. I had a 2IS before this and it was solid. The only thing I took it in for outside of normal stuff (mileage checkups, tire and oil change, etc.) was one time I spilled a coke in the car and it hosed my seatbelt ...Lexus fixed it free of charge. Lexus cars deserve their reputation despite this Nav problem. Lexus treats you like a luxury car company should too. Their customer care has always been spot on.

I understand the frustration but have you seen the issues some of the competition to this car (S4, 335i, Q50, etc.) is seeing? I'll take the Nav problem over those issues ALL DAY. I'm talking 47 pages of steering issues for the S4. "Support groups" for other issues like water pump. You go to the BMW forums and the common phrase there is "You don't want to own these cars out of warranty" ...and no one argues. You'll see them arguing over petty stuff but no one argues about that statement because half the people there are experiencing problems. The Q50 is also going through revised model growing pains but I'm sure they'd take our nav issue over the steering issues ...especially since there are multiple threads stating how the car hates cold weather. Should be noted they are also experiencing Nav issues. ATS owners are also experiencing radio and steering issues.

The way I see it, no matter what car you pick you're gonna get a good car. I think it's unreasonable to think any of them will be bullet proof though, especially on new/revised model years. Every car has dirty laundry. If reliability is important to you and it sounds like it is than I truly believe Lexus is a solid choice. The ONLY reason I'm not still driving my 2IS to this day is because some punk kid took it out.

PS: Microsoft was NEVER known to be a problem free company so comparing Lexus to Microsoft is dubious at best.
Old 01-10-14, 03:29 PM
morton87
Rookie

Prior to my radio being swapped, I could not reproduce the problems I was having on the spot--the reboots were random. My dealer was aware of the problem before I brought my car to them, so I wasn't faced with the issue of having to convince anyone. I've had my car back from the dealer for a week and all is well so far.
Yeah mine is still acting up after the dealer did a "Hard Reset" back in late December, so i took it in today at lunch. So far they haven't found anything nor did any of the current TSLB's match for the software and firmware already in my car. So they came back with a page full questions and said they are talking to Lexus also to see if they know anything about it. Considering mounting a GoPro cam pointing at the screen while i drive so i can capture it for them or something.
Old 01-10-14, 03:40 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motivated1
Hey guys,

So I have had the same issue as most of you on here. I have taken my IS250 F to the dealership for the navigation glitch and they installed the new software but the glitching continued. I made an appointment to have the car checked again and the dealership ended up replacing the radio/Nav unit with a new one. After a week of driving the car the glitching came back. I am now bringing the car back to the dealership for the third time to resolve the problem.

There was another member on this forum that mentioned something a bout a Lemon....would this be considered a lemon if the problem is not resolved??

thank you guys,
What part of CA are you located?

I had this problem but it stopped after an update flash.
Still getting the dreaded "iPod" error."
Regardless, the problem is still affecting my vehicle and I'm very unhappy.
Paid several thousands of dollars, and they can't even get the radio working correctly.

I've brought my vehicle back at least 4 times, I lost count after so many returns.
I informed them of the Nav issue I was having and the ipod error disrupting me when syncing.
They checked it and told me, "Sir you have too many components connected to the USB device and it's obvious that's the problem. We removed everything and tested with our iPod everything works perfectly fine."

I do have a USB switch connected to one of the USB ports, and a USB drive in one.
I am confident this isn't the problem because I tested this with and without the USB hub and the problem still exists. I gave up on arguing with them, but will return once I see a fix for it.

What we can all do is request to open a case. From what my adviser said, the more cases that are open the more pull we'll have, to get Lexus's attention and possibly account for a recall.

Day one I was very happy with the car, but after several months of usage, multiple returns to the service department I'm not pleased at all.

My car is still in the shop as we speak, they're currently fixing a window issue and I brought the Nav to their attention. We'll see how they address this.

Last edited by waxy; 01-10-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-10-14, 03:45 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by morton87
So they came back with a page full questions and said they are talking to Lexus also to see if they know anything about it. Considering mounting a GoPro cam pointing at the screen while i drive so i can capture it for them or something.
Not a bad idea.
My flash issue has always happened after start-up so I was able to make a video with my phone and sent the link to my dealer. Now, they have a record of it; I don't plan on having anything done until they come up with a sure fix unless my whole radio craps out. Especially since radio replacement doesn't guarantee a fix.
Old 01-10-14, 04:31 PM
morton87
Rookie

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Not a bad idea.
My flash issue has always happened after start-up so I was able to make a video with my phone and sent the link to my dealer. Now, they have a record of it; I don't plan on having anything done until they come up with a sure fix unless my whole radio craps out. Especially since radio replacement doesn't guarantee a fix.
Yeah i just picked up my car from the second round of testing still nothing from them other than after getting the list of answers to their questions, they came back ans said they think i could be my phone (Motorola RAZR MAXX HD) and asked if could drive the car for about a week without my phone paired nor connected to the USB ports.

Quick Reply: Radio Swap due to Nav Screen Flashing