IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS350 : Navigation screen re-starts then shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 08:16 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by splat0023
Yeah i got the update a couple weeks ago and now mine is rebooting automatically and it never did that before . My car is getting dropped off tomorrow morning so lets see if my dealer is capable of figuring it out .
Let me save you and your dealer the hassle of diagnosis: the Lexus update is causing the problem and your radio/nav system needs to be replaced (so says my dealer). My system reboots routinely, post update. As was said before, this is now a known issue.

Last edited by UncleSpud; 12-10-13 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 08:16 PM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by McBrain
Its more shocking once you've paid up for the car. I doubt there is a way to pre-diagnose. You can always ask, but reading the various posts, one gets a picture that there is no actual fix at this time which smells like a HW (probably silicon) bug. You're a smart man, because you're reading these forums before you buy the car. I wasn't actually planning to buy a Lexus - it was all by chance.
Thank you for your reply. I wish there is a way I can do to check inside the car and verify if this issue existed on the car am going to buy before saying yes to the salesman
Old 12-10-13, 08:27 PM
McBrain
Driver

Originally Posted by hushero
Thank you for your reply. I wish there is a way I can do to check inside the car and verify if this issue existed on the car am going to buy before saying yes to the salesman
The car is great, don't get me wrong. It took a week for this issue to pop up, so YMMV regarding how long it would take (if it would). Buying a car is like a mini-version of buying a house. You love it, and you make a commitment to deal with the warts that are hiding in it. Buying a Lexus should be like buying a premium house, but it appears its not the case for all models and model years. This issue may take a month to fix or it may take a couple of years. It all comes down to how much you like the car and thus how much pain you're willing to put up with if you get a lemon. If life provided a crystal ball, it may be boring.
Old 12-10-13, 08:46 PM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by McBrain
The car is great, don't get me wrong. It took a week for this issue to pop up, so YMMV regarding how long it would take (if it would). Buying a car is like a mini-version of buying a house. You love it, and you make a commitment to deal with the warts that are hiding in it. Buying a Lexus should be like buying a premium house, but it appears its not the case for all models and model years. This issue may take a month to fix or it may take a couple of years. It all comes down to how much you like the car and thus how much pain you're willing to put up with if you get a lemon. If life provided a crystal ball, it may be boring.
I like your reply and nicely written. I am convinced from your reply tho. My concept of buying a brand new is to live with hassle-free and peace of mind driving experience. I have not had any issues with any new car I usually buy, if am gonna get into such issue with brand new car it gonna hurt me a lot. In fact I sold couple cars in the past just because I got single accident even it was fixed professionally right, but having that feeling that my car was in accident or has issues is killing me :-)
Old 12-10-13, 10:36 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Dont worry, nothing is perfect in life. That's why it comes with a warranty . Things are built by humans, SW will always have bugs.. I was just not expecting these many showstopper bugs shipped with the nav SW! haha
Old 12-12-13, 03:05 PM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

The Nav software in general is just coded horribly. EVERYTHING lags. Which is potentially unsafe because it forces me to divert attention to the screen (possibly out of frustration) instead of concentrating on the road.

Get on this Lexus! Great car though
Old 12-12-13, 03:22 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up my car a week ago. So far my nav + ML is fine although I haven't driven the car much (~70 miles so far). Does this happen over time? I have only used the nav a couple of times, to set the home location and to get me home. Mostly just listened to sweet music over my usb connected ipod or bluetooth connected iphone5.
Old 01-30-14, 08:22 AM
yjacob
Driver School Candidate

I got my IS 350 F-sport about 5 months ago and it worked perfect till last night. The navi screen keeps rebooting non stop with the radio. I took it in this morning to Lexus, they said they had some kind of software update for me. So i waited like 1 and half hours, and went outside to look for my car. They guy said its in the wash and gave it back and said they need to order a new radio to fix the problem. So now I have to go back 5 days later when they get it in to get it installed. What a joke, I expect to get a worry free car, and now they need to take the dash apart and put a new radio in. I will be taking tons of pics to make sure they don't damage it. I guess this is real problem for them, in the show room all the is350's were gone, and only suv's were being displayed.
Old 01-30-14, 04:44 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yjacob
I got my IS 350 F-sport about 5 months ago and it worked perfect till last night. The navi screen keeps rebooting non stop with the radio. I took it in this morning to Lexus, they said they had some kind of software update for me. So i waited like 1 and half hours, and went outside to look for my car. They guy said its in the wash and gave it back and said they need to order a new radio to fix the problem. So now I have to go back 5 days later when they get it in to get it installed. What a joke, I expect to get a worry free car, and now they need to take the dash apart and put a new radio in. I will be taking tons of pics to make sure they don't damage it. I guess this is real problem for them, in the show room all the is350's were gone, and only suv's were being displayed.
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but chances are the new radio won't fix the problem--I'm on my second, and there's at least one other forum member who's on his third radio--we're still both plagued by intermittent reboots. I checked with my dealer on Monday, and as of then, Lexus corporate still didn't have a fix for the problem.

My dealer informs me that Lexus is aware of these issues, but I wonder if the sample of those having problems is too small for Lexus to act.
Old 01-30-14, 05:16 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but chances are the new radio won't fix the problem--I'm on my second, and there's at least one other forum member who's on his third radio--we're still both plagued by intermittent reboots. I checked with my dealer on Monday, and as of then, Lexus corporate still didn't have a fix for the problem.

My dealer informs me that Lexus is aware of these issues, but I wonder if the sample of those having problems is too small for Lexus to act.
It is not my business and it should not be but I am curious if this repetitive problem that does not seem to have a permanent fix is a valid reason to lemon a vehicle?
Old 01-31-14, 08:37 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After 2 months and 453 miles, driving at 45mph, my nav screen turned black and rebooted itself. At the time, i was playing music from ipod hooked up via usb. Hope it isn't going to be a recurring issue.
Old 01-31-14, 11:12 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
After 2 months and 453 miles, driving at 45mph, my nav screen turned black and rebooted itself. At the time, i was playing music from ipod hooked up via usb. Hope it isn't going to be a recurring issue.
The history of those with these problems suggest that it will be. For heaven's sake, the next time this happens to you, call your dealer and explain. Tell them to get in touch with corporate. If there are enough complaints, maybe Lexus corporate will get their thumbs out and engineer a fix.

Keep in mind, an upload and a new radio will not fix this problem. Initially, my reboots happened when listening to my ipod through USB, but the problem spread.
Old 01-31-14, 11:26 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salvadorik
It is not my business and it should not be but I am curious if this repetitive problem that does not seem to have a permanent fix is a valid reason to lemon a vehicle?
There's a fair amount of brain damage associated with going that route. The laws vary from state to state (my state is not known for being consumer-friendly), and you'll probably need an attorney before you're through. You'll also be dealing with corporate as opposed to your dealer, which I don't think is an advantage.

It would be much simpler if Lexus stepped-up and addressed the freakin' problem.
Old 01-31-14, 12:04 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
There's a fair amount of brain damage associated with going that route. The laws vary from state to state (my state is not known for being consumer-friendly), and you'll probably need an attorney before you're through. You'll also be dealing with corporate as opposed to your dealer, which I don't think is an advantage.

It would be much simpler if Lexus stepped-up and addressed the freakin' problem.
Roger that
Old 01-31-14, 03:26 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my car for 3 weeks and so far I have not had any Nav reboot issues but I'm not plugging anything to the USB port just incase that triggers this issues. I hope Lexus addresses this soon for you guys.

Also this could be a reason why Lexus should just replace/revamp our software with one that works with Siri Eyes Free when that comes out! Anyone think that could happen?

Quick Reply: 2014 IS350 : Navigation screen re-starts then shuts off