IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS350 : Navigation screen re-starts then shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 09:46 AM
fasa3225
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Just got my 2014 is 350 f sport 2 weeks ago ... Nav shuts down new head unit on order car already had the new update ..
Old 03-24-14, 08:08 PM
Pralix
Rookie

I've had the rebooting problem since about day one. Screen goes black, music stops. Screen returns to where I was, Continue screen comes up and music starts playing. Sometimes it happens many times on a trip and sometimes it doesn't happen. It is at the dealer now for diagnostics. They hope to have a plan of action tomorrow. The funny thing is, it is almost consistent in having a reboot as soon as I drive off of the dealer lot. I've had that happen twice so far.
Old 03-24-14, 10:24 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pralix
I've had the rebooting problem since about day one. Screen goes black, music stops. Screen returns to where I was, Continue screen comes up and music starts playing. Sometimes it happens many times on a trip and sometimes it doesn't happen. It is at the dealer now for diagnostics. They hope to have a plan of action tomorrow. The funny thing is, it is almost consistent in having a reboot as soon as I drive off of the dealer lot. I've had that happen twice so far.
Pralix, this is the "chronic" pattern described by many on this forum. This is exactly what my car does after a failed upload fix by the dealer and having the nav/radio replaced. Seven months after buying the car, the problem persists, no cure in sight.

If your dealer has any fresh ideas on how to address this, please share them with forum members.
Old 03-25-14, 09:08 AM
Pralix
Rookie

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Pralix, this is the "chronic" pattern described by many on this forum. This is exactly what my car does after a failed upload fix by the dealer and having the nav/radio replaced. Seven months after buying the car, the problem persists, no cure in sight.

If your dealer has any fresh ideas on how to address this, please share them with forum members.
At least the dealer isn't denying that it is happening. They seem to know that the issue happens. I thought they were going to need proof of it happening but that doesn't seem to be the case. I was starting to setup a webcam connected to my laptop to record my drives in hopes that I could document it on video.

Whether or not they can fix the issue is another story. The Enform system is written by more than one company. I know there are at least two. One of my friends works for one of those companies. Not sure who the other company(ies) are. I have my doubts about Lexus being able to diagnose this on their own. They will have to track down which part of the software is causing the issue and then getting that vendor to fix it (assuming it is a software issue).
Old 03-25-14, 01:15 PM
Pralix
Rookie

So the dealer just called. They did not see any failures. They did say that Lexus and it's infotainment vendors are working under a theory of the media unit being corrupted by USB and BT connected devices. I didn't leave my iPod or phone for them to test with. Supposedly there is a FW update coming out for this next month (this is in addition to the Enform update email). They want to keep it overnight and let a service manager drive it to see if something happens. If nothing happens, I get my car back until the FW update happens.
Old 03-25-14, 02:09 PM
zhawks
Driver School Candidate

Does this happen with both versions of the Nav (with and without ML)? I noticed on my 350 f-sport test drive last week that the Nav was really slow and looked like it might crash. No where near as smooth as the Audi and BMW systems, but I imagine that they have their issues too. If this is the only major issue I have to look forward to when I order my IS later this year, I can deal with that. It is better than the half-lemon car I have now. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on the progress of this issue and if it will likely carry over to the 2015 models.
Old 03-25-14, 02:46 PM
Pralix
Rookie

Originally Posted by zhawks
Does this happen with both versions of the Nav (with and without ML)? I noticed on my 350 f-sport test drive last week that the Nav was really slow and looked like it might crash. No where near as smooth as the Audi and BMW systems, but I imagine that they have their issues too. If this is the only major issue I have to look forward to when I order my IS later this year, I can deal with that. It is better than the half-lemon car I have now. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on the progress of this issue and if it will likely carry over to the 2015 models.
I'm not sure that there are any differences in the head unit. I think ML adds the better speakers, speaker locations and amp. I may be wrong though and someone will say so if I am.
Old 03-25-14, 04:44 PM
zabone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard it happens to both units.

My unit hasn't rebooted as of yet (knocks on wood), but I would see a quick blue flash once in a while. The music does not cut out though, and it doesn't affect anything.

Would love to see when and if lexus will fix all of this mess...
Old 03-25-14, 09:13 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pralix
So the dealer just called. They did not see any failures. They did say that Lexus and it's infotainment vendors are working under a theory of the media unit being corrupted by USB and BT connected devices. I didn't leave my iPod or phone for them to test with. Supposedly there is a FW update coming out for this next month (this is in addition to the Enform update email). They want to keep it overnight and let a service manager drive it to see if something happens. If nothing happens, I get my car back until the FW update happens.
Pralix, thanks for the update. You've just provided more information than I've been able to get out of Lexus in the last three months. I sure hope they can figure this out.
Old 03-26-14, 10:46 AM
Pralix
Rookie

The dealer called today. No failures last night. They want me to drive around without my iPod or phone connected for a couple of days. If no failures, we will wait until the FW update. If there is a failure, they will replace the radio. I can't wait to return the ES300h that I have as a loaner.
Old 03-26-14, 10:58 AM
Hou250
Driver School Candidate

Is it just the IS models that are having these issues? Mine doesn't shut off, but will flash blue for a split second once in a blue moon. Dealership told me they would call me when they get the upgrade software, but now I'm wondering if that will even help.
Old 04-09-14, 12:11 PM
Pralix
Rookie

I think I narrowed down the cause of the reboots in my IS. It appears to be my ipod Classic. I have had BT turned off on my phone as well as not connecting it to the USB port. I wonder what is up with the ipod.
Old 04-10-14, 11:07 AM
g15e22
Driver School Candidate

Default 07 IS350 ML Navigation Black Screen

I don't know if this is the same issue I'm having. But Tuesday morning while driving my screen lost the image but it was still on, I turn off the car and the screen did not turn on I had a black screen and the ac buttons don't work, the lights are off but the radio worked fine. since I carpool that same day in the afternoon while driving home the screen turned on by itself. Wednesday it did the exact same thing. So today I went into the hidden service menu and had a navigation and audio red Error dated 9/3/13. So I cleared the codes and it has not turned off so far. I checked with my wife and it did the same to her on 9/3/13. I will keep you guys posted if this fixed my issue.
Old 04-10-14, 01:16 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

My car was doing the random restarts a few times a week. then I pulled my iPod out of the USB port since I was using BT streaming anyway and it just never did that after.. kinda strange but even I'd say its linked to that
Old 04-10-14, 05:26 PM
g15e22
Driver School Candidate

I don't have USB port just auxiliary and iPhone connection. I have the 2007 the bluetooth is only to answer calls. Now that I remember the screen was off and I was listing to Pandora on my phone w I th the auxiliary and when the screen came back on it switch me to the radio. If clearing the codes don't work I will stop using the auxiliary.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS350 : Navigation screen re-starts then shuts off