IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear Sunshade..and Accy Pkg..Really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 05:12 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
You can have it down all the time, but if you have it up it WILL go down when going into reverse. It will go back up when in drive and going at lease 5 mph.

Personally I don't like the rear sunshade and didn't care to have it in my IS, but I didn't have a choice. Just my luck I found the last and only car in N CA with vgrs and Ml but it was fully optioned with pcs and ppf. I think this car has every option possible.

I had the sunshade in my GS and in 3 years I probably used it 10 times and 5 of those was...look what my car can do.
Just to get a bit more clarification from you Prepboy607, basically what you're saying is that in the 3IS you can manually control the powered rear sun shade?

For example, let's say you only want to be come out when the car is parked for hours. In that cast, I'd rather have it off completely and then when I'm going to leave my car parked in a parking lot for hours, I want to "enable" it to so it blocks out some sunlight while I'm gone.

Is this possible? If so, do you have to go through a bunch of menu options or is it pretty simply/straight forward to do (can be done quickly)?

Thanks in advance,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 12-11-13, 05:16 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Just to get a bit more clarification from you Prepboy607, do you happen to know if in the 3IS you can manually control the powered rear sun shade?

For example, let's say you only want to be come out when you are parked for hours?

Like for example, I'd rather have it off completely and then when I'm going to leave my car parked in a parking lot for hours, I want to "enable" it to so it blocks out some sunlight.

Is this possible? If so, do you have to go through a bunch of menu options or is it pretty simply/straight forward to do (can be done quickly)?

Thanks in advance,

~ Im2bz2p345
It's operated with a button. Press the button to move it up into place, or if it is up, press the button to fold it down. You can leave it up all the time, or down all the time. Sort of like the moon roof. You are in control. I might add, the only time you are not in control of the shades movements, is when it is up, and you put the car in reverse. It will automatically retract, and then once you put the car in drive and get the car above 5MPH, the shade will go back up automatically.

Last edited by moose66; 12-11-13 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added text.
Old 12-11-13, 05:23 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
It's operated with a button. Press the button to move it up into place, or if it is up, press the button to fold it down. You can leave it up all the time, or down all the time. Sort of like the moon roof. You are in control. I might add, the only time you are not in control of the shades movements, is when it is up, and you put the car in reverse. It will automatically retract, and then once you put the car in drive and get the car above 5MPH, the shade will go back up automatically.
Ahhh ok, that makes it a lot clearer! I never had a chance to experience a 3IS with the rear sunshade option.

I was assuming the controls might have been part of the Navi/Center Console instead of a physical button (as you mentioned, similar to the moon roof controls).

Thank you so much moose66 for the quick and informative response.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 12-11-13, 05:51 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Ahhh ok, that makes it a lot clearer! I never had a chance to experience a 3IS with the rear sunshade option.

I was assuming the controls might have been part of the Navi/Center Console instead of a physical button (as you mentioned, similar to the moon roof controls).

Thank you so much moose66 for the quick and informative response.

~ Im2bz2p345
Sure thing. This may be a no brainer, but if the shade is already down, it does nothing when you put the car in reverse.
Old 12-11-13, 06:06 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think it'll be useful in summers to keep your car cooler. I'm getting tint but in MN legally you can only go 50% dark and with rear shade I should be able to block out most of the heat from the rear and at $210 it's good deal in my opinion.
Old 12-11-13, 09:39 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
Sure thing. This may be a no brainer, but if the shade is already down, it does nothing when you put the car in reverse.
moose thanks for helping the im2bz out.

Im2bz...sorry was traveling and couldn't reply.
Old 12-12-13, 05:23 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
moose thanks for helping the im2bz out.

Im2bz...sorry was traveling and couldn't reply.
That's why we are all here. Sharing the knowledge!
Old 12-12-13, 02:22 PM
iPinky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I really think it'll be useful in summers to keep your car cooler. I'm getting tint but in MN legally you can only go 50% dark and with rear shade I should be able to block out most of the heat from the rear and at $210 it's good deal in my opinion.
I had 20% tints in my previous 2IS, and always had my shade up. Honestly, it was still cooking in my car during the summers.
Old 12-12-13, 03:45 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iPinky
I had 20% tints in my previous 2IS, and always had my shade up. Honestly, it was still cooking in my car during the summers.
I'll also get good window tint that reject heat. I've seen good ones can reject ~55% of the heat. It should make things a bit better.

I really wish car had cooled seats.
Old 12-12-13, 04:50 PM
iPinky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I'll also get good window tint that reject heat. I've seen good ones can reject ~55% of the heat. It should make things a bit better.

I really wish car had cooled seats.
Ah ha! That should help a lot. I agree, I'm going to miss not having the cooling option for the seats.