IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 02:30 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

My 2016 IS200t has this exact noise in this exact location. Top of the window frame drivers door about midway near the top of the glass. A constant whistling noise at speeds of 40+. Constant. Is there an official fix for this? I'll stuff foam in there myself if I have to.
Old 10-05-16, 02:33 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
No problem. I have to revise my findings about this problem --- originally I though it is the weatherstripping AROUND the door opening as I stuck my finger in the area, the whistle stops. However, I find the precise point is another location as there are various materials sandwiched together in the area. The precise point for the one I show in the following pictures...and the culprit is another piece of weatherstripping which is mildly crooked, which is to the untrained eyes, it is not visually obvious.

And for the speed where the whistle is heard -- at 60km/h, the whistle is already there and it is very, very faint and then at 65-70km/h, any driver with normal ears could start to hear it.

To verify if we have the same culprit, try sticking your finger in the area I show in the picture and see if it is the same.

Now, for if the solution is to replace the trims and weatherstripping, I am not sure if I want to let the dealership do it. There is a lot of materials around the area which are prone to marring such as the B-pillar black trim, the chrome trims and the rubber trims, etc. So meanwhile I may try to see if I could "straighten out" the imperfection of the weather strip....
Extremely interesting. Will verify this today. Did you get yours fixed?
Old 10-05-16, 02:44 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Went out to my car right now. Driver's side piece is extremely flush in that area. and i have a very critical eye! =(
Old 10-06-16, 11:47 AM
Felix3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This probably won't help you but I remember the first week I had my car, I kept hearing this annoying whizzing/wind sound. I thought it was wind noise until I realized the noise was present even when I'm idle which made me super confused... Then finally I realized I had the cooled seats on and the fans in the seats were whizzing next to my ears...
Old 10-06-16, 01:57 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Nope. not the cooled seats. lol. Whistling coming from door frame near glass. 100% certain.
Old 10-07-16, 01:30 PM
OvOxNO
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine has the same problem. Figured it was just my luck. I can actually feel a small breeze coming through, especially at cooler temps.
Old 11-04-16, 10:51 AM
treymoczy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abcsoup
I had some time over the holiday to check out the car and tried this out.

In the first picture, I highlighted the part of the door seal that I think is causing the issue. At the top corner of the door in my car, the rubber seal is slightly thinner than the seal surrounding the rest of the car. Since the other parts of the seal are thicker, I think this thinner part is very slightly lifted from the doorframe when the door is closed, leaving a small airgap and allowing sound to enter the cabin.

My resolution so far was to add two pieces of electrical tape to apply vertical pressure to the seal, which makes it expand horizontally and makes it wider to match more closely to the width of the surrounding seals. After applying this fix, I haven't noticed the wind noise anymore. I don't know if it's placebo, so I wouldn't say this is the definitive fix for me yet until a few weeks more of testing, but I'd love if anyone else having this problem could try this out and report back.
This post may be 3 years old but thought I'd at least ask whether this fixed the issue for you permanently. I have this problem on my IS, which I notice going over bumps more than anything else. Even at slow speeds. I had another 3IS before this one and I had the same issue so I know it's likely to affect many other IS's. I just want a fix as Lexus has tried some things but the issue persists. I'm hoping this ghetto tape fix will fix the problem, but I'd like to hear from others as well. I'm sure this is still unresolved for many; anyone had any success with this solution or another? Hearing this noise every single time I drive out of my garage annoys me to no avail. It's a stupid minor thing that 99% of people wouldn't even hear or notice but it is keeping me from actually loving the car

To clarify the problem I'm having, definitely not a whistle. I think someone used the term wind-drag which is pretty accurate. However, when going over a bump, it's only wind-drag noise for like .5 seconds then it immediately is quiet again. Part of me thinks the door is shifting ever so slightly which is causing this noise (because over speed bumps and such it is so noticeable), but really don't know for sure.

Last edited by treymoczy; 11-04-16 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 02:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I'll have to get a camera mic nearby to verify but I have a feeling its just the door mirror making the sound sound like its coming from the top of the door.