IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 05:28 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abcsoup
I had some time over the holiday to check out the car and tried this out.

In the first picture, I highlighted the part of the door seal that I think is causing the issue. At the top corner of the door in my car, the rubber seal is slightly thinner than the seal surrounding the rest of the car. Since the other parts of the seal are thicker, I think this thinner part is very slightly lifted from the doorframe when the door is closed, leaving a small airgap and allowing sound to enter the cabin.

My resolution so far was to add two pieces of electrical tape to apply vertical pressure to the seal, which makes it expand horizontally and makes it wider to match more closely to the width of the surrounding seals. After applying this fix, I haven't noticed the wind noise anymore. I don't know if it's placebo, so I wouldn't say this is the definitive fix for me yet until a few weeks more of testing, but I'd love if anyone else having this problem could try this out and report back.
Thanks for pointing out the area which you suspect is the culprit for the excessive wind noise. I started to experience it too. It is audible when that speed is over 70-80km/h regardless of how windy it is. It means when it is calm outside, I can still hear the extra noise coming from the area you pin-pointed.

To be exact, it is whistle noise. While I am driving at the speed where the noise is heard, I put the finger near that triangle and the noise is gone.

The strange thing I find is it only happens on the driver's side. But in terms of construction, the driver's door and the front passenger door are the same. The only thing I see is a very slight difference in terms of how the rubber lining around the inner opening.

Back in 2IS or the current RX, the upper door inner frame is covered with plastic frame rather than just a corner with a triangular plastic piece. This kind of excessive noise is originated with the cost-cutting measure by Lexus. I am curious if the same problem occurs in ES, and NX where they also use the same treatment for the upper inner door frame -- i.e., just the corner is covered with a triangular piece....

Last edited by AndyL; 04-14-15 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-13-15, 09:47 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like the wind noise coming out of the driver's side window at above a certain speed happens with NX as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-a-new-nx.html

I bet it is the same issue
Old 04-16-15, 09:59 AM
250Fsprt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I saw this thread but didn't decide to look into it. But after owning my car for 2 months now I too have noticed this noise coming from my window. Im going in to lexus for my first check up in about two weeks and will bring this up with the Tech and see if there are any resolutions. then we can put all our gathered info and see if we can come up with a proper resolution for this stuoid problem we should not be having with a $45000 plus car!!!!
Old 04-16-15, 11:24 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 250Fsprt
Wow I saw this thread but didn't decide to look into it. But after owning my car for 2 months now I too have noticed this noise coming from my window. Im going in to lexus for my first check up in about two weeks and will bring this up with the Tech and see if there are any resolutions. then we can put all our gathered info and see if we can come up with a proper resolution for this stuoid problem we should not be having with a $45000 plus car!!!!

I think the culprit lies in the contact between the seal around the door opening and the upper black metal door frame. The interesting thing is it happens on the driver's door and not the passenger door. I observed the speed at which it starts to happen today and it is consistently at 45mph/70 km/h. It is when the air pressure builds up. When I am driving, I stick a finger in the gap between the inside surface of side window and at where the plastic trianglular piece ends and it stops the whistle noise. I would think it is due to the design, the tolerance of the seal must be high enough to prevent this from happening.
Old 04-16-15, 03:25 PM
250Fsprt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndyL
I think the culprit lies in the contact between the seal around the door opening and the upper black metal door frame. The interesting thing is it happens on the driver's door and not the passenger door. I observed the speed at which it starts to happen today and it is consistently at 45mph/70 km/h. It is when the air pressure builds up. When I am driving, I stick a finger in the gap between the inside surface of side window and at where the plastic trianglular piece ends and it stops the whistle noise. I would think it is due to the design, the tolerance of the seal must be high enough to prevent this from happening.
Thanks Andy I figured it had to do with some type of seal on the window, from what Ive read so far.
I will let Lexus now this coming week that ANDYL from club lexus says this cheap piece of rubber crap needs to be better quality and to please replace it ASAP.
lol..
I let you guys know what happens after.
Old 04-16-15, 08:29 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 250Fsprt
Thanks Andy I figured it had to do with some type of seal on the window, from what Ive read so far.
I will let Lexus now this coming week that ANDYL from club lexus says this cheap piece of rubber crap needs to be better quality and to please replace it ASAP.
lol..
I let you guys know what happens after.
No problem. I have to revise my findings about this problem --- originally I though it is the weatherstripping AROUND the door opening as I stuck my finger in the area, the whistle stops. However, I find the precise point is another location as there are various materials sandwiched together in the area. The precise point for the one I show in the following pictures...and the culprit is another piece of weatherstripping which is mildly crooked, which is to the untrained eyes, it is not visually obvious.

And for the speed where the whistle is heard -- at 60km/h, the whistle is already there and it is very, very faint and then at 65-70km/h, any driver with normal ears could start to hear it.

To verify if we have the same culprit, try sticking your finger in the area I show in the picture and see if it is the same.

Now, for if the solution is to replace the trims and weatherstripping, I am not sure if I want to let the dealership do it. There is a lot of materials around the area which are prone to marring such as the B-pillar black trim, the chrome trims and the rubber trims, etc. So meanwhile I may try to see if I could "straighten out" the imperfection of the weather strip....
Attached Thumbnails Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door-front_driver_door_view_2.jpg   Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door-front_driver_passgner_window_weatherstripping.jpg  
Old 04-20-15, 12:41 PM
usuariof
Driver School Candidate

took my car to the dealer, they said all cars sound like that and there is nothing they can do.
Old 04-20-15, 01:43 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usuariof
took my car to the dealer, they said all cars sound like that and there is nothing they can do.
That's the response I might expect from a Hyundai dealer, but from Lexus? Obviously there is a problem here, if the dealer can't fix it then let Lexus Corporate know.

I test drove a 2015 IS 350 prior to special ordering mine, and I can assure you that they DO NOT "all sound like that".
Old 04-20-15, 08:06 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would just apply some weatherstrip adhesive, the less they mess with the car the better.
Old 12-04-15, 01:01 PM
darkarmy
Rookie

having hte same wind noise issue on my 2016 IS 350AWD FSport. Took it to the deaelership and they confirmed its a engineering problem as they tested it on other cars and they all had the same noise.

Total bs if you ask me, a Honda Fit doesn't even have that problem and yet my $60k Lexus does.
Old 12-04-15, 01:23 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by darkarmy
having hte same wind noise issue on my 2016 IS 350AWD FSport. Took it to the deaelership and they confirmed its a engineering problem as they tested it on other cars and they all had the same noise.

Total bs if you ask me, a Honda Fit doesn't even have that problem and yet my $60k Lexus does.
Mine has 200 miles on it and I'm not hearing it yet...
Old 12-04-15, 01:24 PM
darkarmy
Rookie

I heard it right off the start with only 15km's on it. they replaced the seal for me and still does it.
Old 12-04-15, 01:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

16k miles on my '14 IS and no wind noise...
Old 12-04-15, 01:29 PM
darkarmy
Rookie

its more of a wind drag rather than a whistle.
Old 12-04-15, 01:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by darkarmy
its more of a wind drag rather than a whistle.
Yeah, I know exactly what you are referring to. My RX sometimes has it around the sunroof. No such noise on my IS except in strong cross-wind gusts. Nothing during normal cruising up to 75 or so.

Quick Reply: Excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window/door