IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Mark Levinson... Worth it? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 10:28 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport79
No regrets had the base and M L, sounds much cleaner and bass is not too over the top
ML is totally worth it especially if you have no interest in doing an aftermarket upgrade.
Sure an aftermarket system MAY sound better if done right, but you have to know what you're doing and it's a hassle. I was in a Mazda 6 and f150 rentals with the base stereo for the last week and let me tell you I'm happy to be back in my car
Old 02-14-16, 11:46 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let me play devil's advocate here. I don't think ML in the IS is as good as Lexus' higher end models. The base system in the GS sounded better to me.

Last edited by Noeh; 02-17-16 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 08:37 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XPERIA
Does anyone else feel that the ML in the 2IS packed more punch and had much deeper bass than the 3IS?
Also the door panel material of the 2IS where the speakers are housed is thicker, softer more rubbery material than the hollow thin grainy plastic on the 3IS
-Perhaps that also effects acoustic quality?
Not sure about how ML sounds in 2IS because mine didn't come with it and so I can't have a comparison with the ML in my current 3IS. But for my buddy who has ML in both his past 2IS and current 3IS, he says so .

I am sure acoustic quality is affected by the interior material, particularly the doors, headliners, etc. The material of door panels of 3IS is indeed not as good as those in 2IS from a acoustic point of view.
Old 03-04-16, 02:45 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wasn't sure if I wanted the ML in my brand new IS (just ordering the car) so I asked dealer to let me compare the sound with the stock version. I sat in two different IS one with ML and another without and listened to my Bach CD. I figured instrumental music would be the best baseline for such comparison. I did notice that ML gave me a more satisfying sound but the stock system wasn't very far behind (I am far from being an audiophile). Whether this difference is worth this $1100 extra is really an economic decision. I could be thousands of $$ up/down everyday due to stock market fluctuations so for me it was a no brainer - I ordered the ML. I would never be a customer for an aftermarket upgrade - that was also a factor in my decision.

Last edited by Olasek; 03-04-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-05-16, 09:56 AM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My take is if you have no plans to upgrade to a aftermarket stereo it's pretty hard to beat the sound coming out that Mark Levinson system vs the standard factory one.
Old 03-06-16, 01:07 AM
NLu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Noeh mentioned, Mark Levinson is not created equal in each vehicle.
For me, the ML in the ES sound much better than the ML in the IS.
ML in the RX is not so good, but ML in the GS is fairly good.

Personally, I'm not an audiophile, and feel that the base Lexus audio systems are good enough.
But there is definitely a noticable difference between base vs. ML for ANY Lexus model.
That difference is just more pronounced in some models...
Old 03-06-16, 02:44 AM
sinakh89
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where are the extra speakers

I know this may be asked before but I couldnt find it. as far as I know there total number of speakers in ML are more than the stock system. however sitting in my friends base system IS I couldnt notice less number of speakers in his car. can someone tell me where are the additional speakers in ML system at?
Old 03-06-16, 06:00 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sinakh89
I know this may be asked before but I couldnt find it. as far as I know there total number of speakers in ML are more than the stock system. however sitting in my friends base system IS I couldnt notice less number of speakers in his car. can someone tell me where are the additional speakers in ML system at?
I don't know about the stock system, but this is from the Mark Levinson website.

http://www.marklevinson.com/lexus-is.html
Old 03-06-16, 10:42 PM
sinakh89
Rookie

thanks I had seen this page. lot of info about the ML but Lexus is kind of silent about the details, speaker numbers and locations and even brand of the base system. I think I read somewhere that the base system is made by Pioneer.
Old 03-07-16, 12:07 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

At least they aren't silent about number of speakers in the base system - 13.
Old 04-29-16, 07:36 PM
MikeWI
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking at a IS 350 F Sport. Local dealers don't have many ML audio systems. Doing a broader search.

$1100 upgrade for ML vs standard

What are non-ML after market upgrades. Many speakers to upgrade and external amp etc.
Where do people get that done?

Thank you for the ML vs. non-ML listening comments. That is more helpful than a non-referenced comparison.

This article is pretty subjective but interesting...

Ten Most Unbelievable In-Car Audio Systems
http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-unb...tems-597594908

Mike
Old 05-14-16, 03:12 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have to admit that when I bought my IS-F I assumed that the ML was going to be a powerful and great sounding system, I mean, how could it not given the cost, the number of speakers, etc. Now, pretty much every day I find myself disappointed in the sound quality, especially if you are turning up the volume, and hoping that if I change some setting that the sound is going to magically get better and it doesn't. I'm no audiophile, but I was in my friends 2014 Pathfinder and that system rocked--very powerful and clean and I'm sure it didn't have the cost or prestige associated with it that the ML does.

Anyways, not much more to say--I'm not changing anything so I guess I just have to live with a serious disappointment. Coming from an 04 G Coupe I figured that the upgrade to the ML would have been like being in a concert hall. Not even close. Thank goodness for the engine note--whenever I get ticked off by the lousy sound quality I just turn it down and bring the revs up.
Old 05-14-16, 11:17 AM
nocxx2
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure what's going on here with people who actually have the ML system and are unhappy with it. Are you sure you have the ML system? Ive read some people even complain that Lexus isn't open about how many speakers the ML system has. I mean, come on!

It's an amazing audio system, 15 speakers in a sedan that size, given the road noise cancellation it's just awesome. You really think Lexus would offer this as an upgrade for the highest trim on their vehicles if it wasn't worth it? I really feel like the guys complaining either don't have the ML system and if they do, they're listening to some real crappy quality music.
Old 05-14-16, 11:25 AM
Jz39
Advanced

I agree. I expected to be blown away by the ML based on the "stats" of the system, but am left totally disappointed. Bass is terrible and surround seems to rely too much on the front middle speaker--I'm not watching a movie! Have you ever listened to music on surround mode on a home stereo? You would never do that bc it sounds awful. And it seems like the system is way underpowered too. I had it turned up full once and couldn't believe that's as loud as it goes.

Anyways, not hating. Like I said, I really expected to be blown away with a crisp, powerful system that actually had some bass, and all I think I got was crisp.
Old 05-14-16, 11:27 AM
Jz39
Advanced

And I kid you not when I tell you that Pathfinder system was way better. My buddy just kept turning the **** and it got powerfully louder with crisp sound all the way up. Unexpected to say the least.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson... Worth it? (Merged Threads)