IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 10:47 AM
zerologs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?

I've owned a 2002 IS300 and then a 206 Lexus IS250 AWD which went away when it couldn't fit a rear car seat.

Now that the kids are getting a little older I wanted to buy either a 2014 is250 or a 2014 Infiniti Q50. I really like the looks of the new IS, but when I drive it I can't seem to get past the cup holder location. My wife's arm seems to be right on top of the cup holders and I can't really seem to find a place to put my phone that works well.

What are your thoughts on the cup holders? Are they as bad as they look/seem after having the car for a while or is it easy to adjust too? Where do you keep you phone if not in the cup holders?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-13, 10:51 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the location is also in a bad spot especially if your arm tends to rest over them. Not sure what you can do except being uncomfortable and keeping your arm out of the way. For me, food or drinks are not allowed in the car.
Old 12-06-13, 11:17 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

We just use the slots in the door. We usually have bottles anyway, no open containers in my car.
Old 12-06-13, 11:52 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had any issues with them like them a lot better than my old Camry.
Old 12-06-13, 04:37 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
For me, food or drinks are not allowed in the car.
I agree! I'll have the occasional Starbucks coffee. But definitely no hot food inside or in the trunk. I don't want my car to smell like takeout Panda Express or McDonalds lol
Old 12-06-13, 05:03 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sad but true -- cup holders are an afterthought in most cars now due to having to make room for touchpads, mouses, etc. The new E-series did away with the shifter so I figure they probably have cup holders but wait! What? Where's the cup holders?
Attached Thumbnails Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?-2014-e-class-sedan-gallery-009-goi-d.jpg  
Old 12-06-13, 05:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ It's underneath the wood panel in the console.

For me, the location of the cupholder on the IS is a non-issue as it's my daily driver to work and I don't drink in the car.

Putting the cup holders aside, if you prefer the 3IS, buy it and either use the door pocket cupholder or get one of those vent cup holders. There are some half-decent looking ones.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ent+cup+holder
Old 12-06-13, 06:00 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I know. I was kidding. But my point is that there's now a trade off with most cars.
Old 12-06-13, 07:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Glashub
I know. I was kidding. But my point is that there's now a trade off with most cars.
The cup holders work great in the 3IS... If your the driver

The passenger is the one who suffers, if you have "cups" in the holders.

And it's only slightly better with no cups in the holders..

~ Joe Z
Old 12-06-13, 08:33 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Cup holders position is horrible. No other way to put it.
Old 12-06-13, 08:44 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The cup holders work great in the 3IS... If your the driver

The passenger is the one who suffers, if you have "cups" in the holders.

And it's only slightly better with no cups in the holders..

~ Joe Z
^^^^ I agree Let the passenger suffer haha. The car is more fun to drive when your the only one in it anyway. Its lighter and you dont have to worry about your passenger freaking out because of your aggressive driving
Old 12-06-13, 08:46 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Randre19
^^^^ I agree Let the passenger suffer haha. The car is more fun to drive when your the only one in it anyway. Its lighter and you dont have to worry about your passenger freaking out because of your aggressive driving
So true !!! Lol haha , should've been a 1 seater !!
Old 12-06-13, 09:48 PM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The cup holders are a disaster. There's no other way around it. Not only are they bad for the driver if you're man-sized, but they're straight awful for the passenger. Oh, and if you actually have a drink in the front holder then it makes using the mouse uncomfortable and the little arm rest for it worthless. They're a major design flaw.
Old 12-06-13, 10:29 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

How would you redesign the interior then? What would you move? How would you reconfigure it? No you can't make the nav touch screen to free up space by getting rid of the mouse. The nav is up there because the 3IS is a drivers car -- eyes on the road everything possible in the field of vision. Look at the pic of the MB. Cup holders yes. MMI dial yes. Good arm rests yes. But the removed the shifter to make room. I prefer a shifter over cup holders if I have to make a choice due to space restraints.
Old 12-07-13, 05:29 AM
sveinongen
Driver

Originally Posted by Glashub
How would you redesign the interior then? What would you move? How would you reconfigure it? No you can't make the nav touch screen to free up space by getting rid of the mouse. The nav is up there because the 3IS is a drivers car -- eyes on the road everything possible in the field of vision. Look at the pic of the MB. Cup holders yes. MMI dial yes. Good arm rests yes. But the removed the shifter to make room. I prefer a shifter over cup holders if I have to make a choice due to space restraints.
Like this would be good. At least you get support for the elbow. I wish the 3IS was designed like this one....
Attached Thumbnails Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?-interor.jpg   Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?-interor1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?