IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Will the 2015 Mustang lure potential 3IS buyers??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 06:28 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2IS people kept jumping in to attack the 3IS and used those pics as evidence that we bought inferior cars and that the IS was going down the toilet and that they owned the last true good IS.
Old 12-07-13, 06:46 AM
McBrain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
The 2IS people kept jumping in to attack the 3IS and used those pics as evidence that we bought inferior cars and that the IS was going down the toilet and that they owned the last true good IS.
That's pretty funny. I don't understand why 2IS owners wouldn't be excited about the fact that the IS has finally become an exciting car. I never considered Lexus till the 3IS - always respected the brand for its comfort and reliability, but never associated it with real "design" or excitement. The 3IS actually evokes some sort of reaction/emotion (especially Fsport, but I love the side rear profile also). You still get the comfort and reliability (best of both words really). I really like where Lexus is heading here. Hopefully this will be my first of many Lexus in the future.
Old 12-07-13, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by McBrain
That's pretty funny. I don't understand why 2IS owners wouldn't be excited about the fact that the IS has finally become an exciting car. I
It just doesn't work that way unfortunately. You see it all over the internet. People want to validate their own purchase. They may be incapable of trading their 2IS for a 3IS and are trying to cast that decision in some different light than their inability to make the swap, perhaps they are used buyers, used buyers commonly use the tactic that they "really like the old car better" instead of the obvious truth...they can afford the used car but not the new car. I will agree the 2IS owners here are especially persistent. The funniest thing I've seen in a while happened just now in the thread about the new RC (which is a beautiful car) where one of the 2IS fanboys responded to something about the RC's mirrors (which he mistook as positive in the first place) posting pictures of his 2IS mirrors saying they were the best looking mirrors ever made and Lexus should go back to them LOL.

There are some legitimate beefs, but overall I agree I don't see any reason for the level of the diatribe.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-07-13 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-07-13, 08:07 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It just doesn't work that way unfortunately. You see it all over the internet. People want to validate their own purchase. They may be incapable of trading their 2IS for a 3IS and are trying to cast that decision in some different light than their inability to make the swap, perhaps they are used buyers, used buyers commonly use the tactic that they "really like the old car better" instead of the obvious truth...they can afford the used car but not the new car. I will agree the 2IS owners here are especially persistent.
I'll be the first to admit that when the 2RX came out while I was still driving the 1RX, I just had to upgrade (which I did). I wasn't going to delude myself into thinking that the 1RX was still better haha
Old 12-07-13, 08:23 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to buy a new mustang gt. I've wanted one for a long time, but I hate the interior that it has right now. From what it sounds like they have made improvements.
Old 12-07-13, 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eyeball
I'll be the first to admit that when the 2RX came out while I was still driving the 1RX, I just had to upgrade (which I did). I wasn't going to delude myself into thinking that the 1RX was still better haha
People did though, I remember. You were capable of upgrading...
Old 12-07-13, 05:14 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeball
the 2RX was superior though. Much improved turning circle, material grade improved dramatically, more agile (albeit a bit dodgy), efficient etc..

___

Back on topic, question is:

not

Will the 2015 Mustang get 3IS buyers to sell there car, nor is this about 2IS vs 3IS

DISCUSS!
Old 12-07-13, 06:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Back on topic, question is:

And the answer is, IMHO no. I just don't see it, they are ENTIRELY different segments being coupe and sedan. The RC and 4 Series are at least also coupes, but even then...a buyer who is considering a $50,000+ personal luxury coupe such as an RX, 4 Series, A5, etc is not going to cross shop a Mustang no matter how great a Mustang it might be.
Old 12-07-13, 07:52 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cross-shopped the Chevrolet Camaro, VW Beetle and Touareg, Audi A5 and Q5 and Porsche Cayenne, all of which are not direct competitors, as well as all of the direct competitors, including the Cadillac ATS and CTS, before deciding on the IS, albeit, doubtful anyone else would have done same.

I wanted a manual, which the Camaro, Beetle (would've been an R-Line!), A5 and Cayenne offered, but the IS won! And to further complicate matters, it replaced a Range Rover.

Very happy with the choice, and the way it drives, but not happy with several issues.

Otherwise, personally, I'd never consider a Mustang, ever; Camaro as low as it goes.

Last edited by dbs600; 12-07-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 11:44 PM
Coldfuzion
Driver School Candidate

I didn't read through the thread, but I got into an accident about 5 weeks ago, and I got a Ford Mustang as a rental, and holy **** it was terrible. I returned it within a week and have been driving a Kia Optima and am perfecty happy with it. Looking to pick up a IS350 F Sport within the next three weeks though .
Old 12-08-13, 11:10 AM
McBrain
Driver

Originally Posted by Coldfuzion
I didn't read through the thread, but I got into an accident about 5 weeks ago, and I got a Ford Mustang as a rental, and holy **** it was terrible. I returned it within a week and have been driving a Kia Optima and am perfecty happy with it. Looking to pick up a IS350 F Sport within the next three weeks though .
The difference between a rental grade Mustang and a top of the line GT or Boss 302 (or the new one for that matter) is pretty huge. Its like driving a Subaru Impreza base and inferring that the STI must be rubbish.

Having said that I owned a Mustang GT many years ago (2K model bought new - yeah, that long ago). It was a fun car, had lots of character, but build (e.g. panels) and interior were awful. After 5 years many interior bits fell apart (and I was very careful and had no pets or kids at the time). Japanese cars hold up so much better. I think another reason folks buy Lexus is to hold on to them for a while and it really is tough to do that with Ford, but maybe things have gotten better.

Overall, these are different markets. 3IS and Mustang will not be cross-shopped.
Old 12-08-13, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ford's build quality nowadays is FAR better than in 2000 though.
Old 12-08-13, 05:12 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bucanero
Hahaha, which model?
2012 Ford Edge Sport
Old 12-08-13, 05:18 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iRock
I plan to buy a new mustang gt. I've wanted one for a long time, but I hate the interior that it has right now. From what it sounds like they have made improvements.
Ford always makes improvements but in the end they always fall short.
Old 12-08-13, 05:21 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Ford's build quality nowadays is FAR better than in 2000 though.
Yes far better than when my dad has his POS 1999 Ford Explorer but I thought that getting into my 2012 Ford Edge would be nice but have taken it to the dealership dozens of times for multiple issues. When your drivers side mirrors some how starts falling off that's when you know Ford still doesn't have their **** together.

Quick Reply: Will the 2015 Mustang lure potential 3IS buyers??