IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My Brand New IS 350 shows as Previusly Repaired at a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 10:02 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles did the car have? I try to avoid cars that have more than 15miles. Any more than that it's "used".
Old 11-24-13, 10:22 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbx
How many miles did the car have? I try to avoid cars that have more than 15miles. Any more than that it's "used".
Completely agree and can't stand salespeople who make it difficult to obtain accurate odometer readings or state anything over 40 or so miles is normal.

Different, but true story: Was in a car with a salesperson about take a test drive when another salesperson passed by, did a double take, came back, knocked on the window and said "hey, wait" and that he already sold the car we were in. Salesperson in car said something along the lines of "oh, come on" in an arrogant-like way and we were off; could, but couldn’t believe it.

Last edited by dbs600; 11-24-13 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-25-13, 04:27 AM
gobase2008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill go to the dealer today and will find out what happened and why they changed the shock.. obviously the changed it for a reason. it has to be defective, nobody change a piece that is good.

The car was 18 miles when I got it,, I think with 18 miles is fair to say it was "brand new"., I wouldn't complain about those 18 miles.
Old 11-25-13, 07:20 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

If they only changed the shock, then the defective theory may be legit. Possibly discovered by the dealer in the pre-delivery inspection. It would be pretty hard to have severe enough damaged to a shock that it has to be replaced AND not have other damage to the wheel, and in the quarter panel area. Good luck.
Old 11-25-13, 08:02 AM
amorales
Driver School Candidate

I would definitely look into this more, ignore all the "enjoy your car" "forget it" crap. You pay a high price tag on a damn good "new, NEVER USED OR REPAIRED" car. I agree that this car might be fine and these things happen but, you should have been informed prior to final sale and possibly even recieved a discount for it. Please keep us updated on this issue.
Old 11-25-13, 09:23 AM
gobase2008
Driver School Candidate

I just called the dealer that replaced the shock.
They read the information on their screen and it says that during Pre-Delivery inspection the discovered a faulty shock and they replaced it.

I wonder how that sounds,, and I wonder if I dig more I would discover anything else.
To me it sounds ok, I dont see anything weird under the car and if the computer at the original dealer that replaced the shock doesnt say anything else, I wonder if I would ever be able to obtain any more information.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-25-13, 09:33 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gobase2008
They read the information on their screen and it says that during Pre-Delivery inspection the discovered a faulty shock and they replaced it.

I wonder how that sounds,, and I wonder if I dig more I would discover anything else.
To me it sounds ok, I dont see anything weird under the car and if the computer at the original dealer that replaced the shock doesnt say anything else, I wonder if I would ever be able to obtain any more information.

What do you guys think?
You probably have gotten all you are going to get. I would certainly write corporate a letter and send the same letter to the GM of the dealership where you purchased the vehicle stating how you would have appreciated full disclosure. Granted everything may be all well and good, I think it is merely the principle of it. The dealer should have disclosed whatever happened with the vehicle and not let you find out on your own. That makes it look shady, even if it isn't.

Last edited by moose66; 11-25-13 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 11-25-13, 10:42 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gobase2008

What do you guys think?
I think I would just pretend you never got this info and move on with life. it's a non issue, its just a car and its still under warranty should anything else happen.
Old 11-25-13, 11:28 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
You probably have gotten all you are going to get. I would certainly write corporate a letter and send the same letter to the GM of the dealership where you purchased the vehicle stating how you would have appreciated full disclosure. Granted everything may be all well and good, I think it is merely the principle of it. The dealer should have disclosed whatever happened with the vehicle and not let you find out on your own. That makes it look shady, even if it isn't.
It is very likely that the dealer that sold the car to him did not know about the repair. Repairs take time before they hit national history, so if the repair took place shortly after they got the car off the truck, then the dealer trade happened a few days later, there would be no way the dealer would have ever known about the repair. Repair orders have to be closed, finalized, and warranty sign off on them before they become part of national history... so i wouldnt fault the dealer that sold you the car. They didnt know. The dealer who did the dealer trade.. while service dept knew about it, i highly doubt the sales dept knew. This is just a giant miscommunication if you ask me.. The defective part is replaced and your warranty is still in tact. Sure, it would have been great to have that disclosure, but its hard to find the person to blame, and what outcome would you expect once you placed the blame?
Old 11-25-13, 11:57 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RTIS250
It is very likely that the dealer that sold the car to him did not know about the repair. Repairs take time before they hit national history, so if the repair took place shortly after they got the car off the truck, then the dealer trade happened a few days later, there would be no way the dealer would have ever known about the repair. Repair orders have to be closed, finalized, and warranty sign off on them before they become part of national history... so i wouldnt fault the dealer that sold you the car. They didnt know. The dealer who did the dealer trade.. while service dept knew about it, i highly doubt the sales dept knew. This is just a giant miscommunication if you ask me.. The defective part is replaced and your warranty is still in tact. Sure, it would have been great to have that disclosure, but its hard to find the person to blame, and what outcome would you expect once you placed the blame?
I totally agree with all of your observations. I am not sure you gain, or get anything at this point. Maybe a free oil change or two as a gesture of good business. But think of it this way. Do you think anyone would pay for that car, sold as new, if when you inquired about it you were told, one of the shocks was replaced? I wouldn't. That puppy should have been discounted and sold as a demo in my opinion. Yes, it is a new car, since it has not been titled. But it has already had a repair to a major component.

The shame on you award should definitely go to the dealer who sent over the swap. And maybe the letter I suggested needs to go that dealer instead of the selling dealer, with a carbon to corporate of course. Just to keep them in the loop.
Old 11-25-13, 01:59 PM
LSIII
Rookie

Replacing a defective shock during PDI does not make a new car now a used/demo car, even if one thinks it should be so they can get a discount. If they would have left it be and you noticed it on your drive home and had to bring it back for a warranty replacement, then I'm sure some would tell you that your dealer was incompetent for not noticing it during PDI.

Just enjoy the new car!
Old 11-25-13, 02:36 PM
gcam77
Driver

In my opinion, I believe that in today's world if you spend 50K on a car, or anything for that matter, you are entitled to have a "peace of mind" for your purchase.

"Peace of mind" is relative to the individual and some may see this incident as nothing while others may have a big issue with it. In my opinion, just as how if a registration record exits for a car, whether it has been driven or not, that car is considered a used car, I believe that if a repair record exists then that car should be considered a used car, because the car was repaired after it left the factory and I am sure that will have some impact of the value of the car. So the question is "Are you ok with it?" if yes do as others say and enjoy the car or try getting it replaced for a truly "NEW CAR".
Old 11-25-13, 03:00 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gcam77
In my opinion, I believe that in today's world if you spend 50K on a car, or anything for that matter, you are entitled to have a "peace of mind" for your purchase.

"Peace of mind" is relative to the individual and some may see this incident as nothing while others may have a big issue with it. In my opinion, just as how if a registration record exits for a car, whether it has been driven or not, that car is considered a used car, I believe that if a repair record exists then that car should be considered a used car, because the car was repaired after it left the factory and I am sure that will have some impact of the value of the car. So the question is "Are you ok with it?" if yes do as others say and enjoy the car or try getting it replaced for a truly "NEW CAR".
My only question is... How is the value of the car impacted by the replacement of a shock? I mean, its a shock. I can see if the car was crashed and a bumper was replaced... or a fender repainted... but come on, its a shock.
Old 11-25-13, 04:08 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Purchased my IS straight off the hauler with 5 miles on the odometer. I watched them remove the protective wrapping on the exterior and interior of the car. So, I assume that these miles are attributed to factory testing and transport. The car did have a small paint chip on one of the wheels and a slight scuff on the top that I didn't discover until waxing the car the next day. Bottom line...I have never purchased a car that's perfect, so these minor cosmetic defects were not reported to the dealer.

Shipping, dealer lot and test drive interior and exterior damage is not unusual. Having purchased over 20 new cars and trucks over the years, I've never ordered an automobile. I now only consider purchasing new cars that are fresh off the truck or in-transit where an inspection may be completed without a purchase commitment. Also, I have a family member that works for Toyota, and you must purchase a dealer inventory vehicle in order to receive the family team member discount.

My local dealer indicated that Lexus trades must be transported by truck, and they won't allow the buyer to complete a dealer trade. But, no matter how a car is transported, every time someone touches the car, damage is likely to occur.

In your case, if the shock was leaking, and it was replaced without resulting in any damage to the car, you are lucky. If you would have discovered that a fender, bumper or interior electrical component had been repaired, I would be more upset than if a shock was replaced. I have heard of problems resulting from cars being tied down too snugly damaging springs or suspension components. Measure the distance from the ground to the top of your fenders on each side of the car. Mine IS measures perfect in the rear and is off by 1/8 inch in the front which is likely normal.

I've heard of wheels and cuts in leather seats on new BMWs being repaired by dealers prior to delivery. Damage to new cars is considered normal, but I disagree unless all repairs are disclosed.
Old 11-25-13, 04:21 PM
gcam77
Driver

Originally Posted by RTIS250
My only question is... How is the value of the car impacted by the replacement of a shock? I mean, its a shock. I can see if the car was crashed and a bumper was replaced... or a fender repainted... but come on, its a shock.
If you went out to buy a "NEW CAR" and the dealer told you that there has been repairs done to this car before you bought it, I am sure you would either ask for a discount or move on to 1 that has not been repaired.
Also, let's say, for arguments sake, the op were to take in the car to a dealer for a trade in right now as is, when the dealer sees that the car already has repairs it will more than likely affect the trade-in value. I agree that over time it will be less important as the car gets older.

Quick Reply: My Brand New IS 350 shows as Previusly Repaired at a dealer