remote touch to be replaced by touchpad

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 09:28 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote touch to be replaced by touchpad

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...#axzz2lLhicpeI

This article confirms that the "clunky" mouse is going to be replaced with a touchpad ... for the new RC

Wouldn't be surprised to see a touchpad as well for the 2015 3IS
Old 11-21-13, 09:32 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eyeball
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...#axzz2lLhicpeI

This article confirms that the "clunky" mouse is going to be replaced with a touchpad ... for the new RC

Wouldn't be surprised to see a touchpad as well for the 2015 3IS
Wonder if that part would work in 3IS when it comes out? If it's just an input device it may be able to be replaced just like if you replaced your computer mouse with touch pad device.

Am I the only one that thinks vertical grille on this looks strange? Also rear corners looks out of place to me..

Last edited by SonyHome; 11-21-13 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 09:38 PM
sveinongen
Driver

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Wonder if that part would work in 3IS when it comes out? If it's just an input device it may be able to be replaced just like if you replaced your computer mouse with touch pad device.

I doubt you will be able to replace it. It will most likley not fit where the existing controller is.

I wish they could implement into next years IS....
Attached Thumbnails remote touch to be replaced by touchpad-lexus-rc-interior-tokyo-6.jpg  

Last edited by sveinongen; 11-21-13 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 09:48 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see any difference. Whether it's a mouse or a touchpad, it's still going to be clunky and a pita to use.
Old 11-21-13, 10:23 PM
greggy23
Rookie

Originally Posted by vbx
I don't see any difference. Whether it's a mouse or a touchpad, it's still going to be clunky and a pita to use.
I do like the new design of the cup holders and mode select. Oh well, you can't keep upgrading when something new comes out unless money isn't an issue. Just be happy with what you have and try not to fixate on the changes that will come every year.
Old 11-21-13, 10:30 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

I like the mouse better, I have the magic trackpad from Apple and hate using it. Plus if you use the center too much it might wear out overtime and start to fade, doesn't seem to be made of glass.

Edit: I like the current position of the mouse as it's a nice spot for me to rest my hand sometimes. I do feel that the mode selection is better placed in the new model, but you actually don't need to see it. All you need to be able to do is grab it and rotate left or right, or push down. At first I didn't like having to reach back for the ****, but now I'm use to it.

Last edited by Oxytocin; 11-21-13 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-22-13, 12:27 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
I like the mouse better, I have the magic trackpad from Apple and hate using it. Plus if you use the center too much it might wear out overtime and start to fade, doesn't seem to be made of glass.

Edit: I like the current position of the mouse as it's a nice spot for me to rest my hand sometimes. I do feel that the mode selection is better placed in the new model, but you actually don't need to see it. All you need to be able to do is grab it and rotate left or right, or push down. At first I didn't like having to reach back for the ****, but now I'm use to it.
I'm not saying I don't like the mouse interface since I haven't even received my car yet to really use it but I think they have so much more options on interfacing with the touch pad. They could enable all the edges to do something with swipe gesture and also enable 1, 2 and 3 finger modes if they choose. Also it would seem to me that new position is better and makes the cup holders bit more useful. Another option would be to switch the position of the cup holders with the touch pad.

Last edited by SonyHome; 11-22-13 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 02:41 AM
IS350AWD
Driver

Interesting how everything else is touch-directed in the 3IS except the NAV unit. I.e., touch temp, changes temp, etc.

A joystick changing into a touchpad will not make this the same (indirect control). In order for the system to work efficiently and with less concentration while driving, they need to return to the touch-direct NAV screen like the 2IS. Too bad that probably won't ever come back...
Old 11-22-13, 04:56 AM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm really digging that yellow interior

Also, seeing as this is an F sport, doesn't the gauge cluster look really far over to the right? Maybe they plan on either 1 giving non F sport models the sport + setting or, 2 changing the F sport cluster.
Old 11-22-13, 05:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kadify
I'm really digging that yellow interior

Also, seeing as this is an F sport, doesn't the gauge cluster look really far over to the right? Maybe they plan on either 1 giving non F sport models the sport + setting or, 2 changing the F sport cluster.
the RC F Sport has not been shown yet, this is a regular
Old 11-22-13, 05:45 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

This is why I lease.
Old 11-22-13, 05:57 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the RC F Sport has not been shown yet, this is a regular
I wonder if they'll get rid of the ventilated seats option (as shown in the picture above) for the RC F-Sport version
Old 11-22-13, 05:59 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
This is why I lease.
Such a valid point hehehe
Old 11-22-13, 06:17 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
This is why I lease.
i agree 100% to nbe truthfull i am getting the IS350 on a 27 month lease because if the IS-F was offered in the new body style i would be getting that. to me this new purchase is just a temporary car until something better comes out.
Old 11-22-13, 06:45 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Me too. Lease. Then maybe buy midyear refresh with most of the bugs worked out.

Quick Reply: remote touch to be replaced by touchpad