IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

remote touch to be replaced by touchpad

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 11:17 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps they need Xbox Kinect like interface so we can just waive our finger, hand or arm to interact and hopefully some guy won't think you're making obscene gestures.
Old 11-22-13, 03:04 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Perhaps they need Xbox Kinect like interface so we can just waive our finger, hand or arm to interact and hopefully some guy won't think you're making obscene gestures.
This is frigging hilarious haha! Funniest thing I've read in a while
Old 11-23-13, 09:33 AM
561Lexus
Driver

Imo the 3IS nav is slow and it makes the mouse seem crappy... I would rather have a touchscreen like in the 2IS but I think the mouse is better than the touchpad.... imagine a laggy navigation system with a touchpad... that would be even more frustrating than the mouse
Old 11-23-13, 09:42 AM
choyt
Driver School Candidate

I wasn't sure I'd like the mouse initially but as others have said, after a few days it's incredibly intuitive to me. I also like the positioning - it's exactly where my arm rests and my hand falls naturally when driving.
My ONLY complaint about the interior of my IS is the cupholders. They are a bit small and not in a very good spot to continually pick up and put down my drink... It's awkward on my morning drive with my coffee when I have to continually contort a bit to make sure it's seated correctly.
Old 11-23-13, 10:03 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^
People shouldn't drink and drive. I've been checking out cup holders in other cars and it seems nobody really knows what to do with them when they include a pad or a mouse. Agreed on the mouse. Moving it around the screen is as easy as dropping a file in a folder to me now.
Old 11-23-13, 03:33 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Meanwhile the new 2014 CT200h will not have the touch pad, I'm assuming to cut down on the MSRP
Attached Thumbnails remote touch to be replaced by touchpad-image-361553391.jpg  
Old 11-23-13, 04:15 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

The CT usually has older tech. The current CT has the gen 1 mouse controller that's more joystick like. Looks like Lexus is going to give the new CT an upgrade to the gen 2 controller.
Old 11-23-13, 04:44 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
The CT usually has older tech. The current CT has the gen 1 mouse controller that's more joystick like. Looks like Lexus is going to give the new CT an upgrade to the gen 2 controller.
Thank you for this insight!
Old 11-23-13, 08:13 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Old 11-23-13, 08:56 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
It's a genuine compliment lol. I know nothing about the CT
Old 11-24-13, 06:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Excited for the new RTI

Old 11-24-13, 06:25 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Why is RTI even considered new technology for cars anyway? Laptops have had touchpads for at least 15 years!
Old 11-24-13, 07:29 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Remote touch interface is not the touch pad itself, rather, it is the entire controller system and its integration to the nav software, starting from gen 1 to this gen 3 version. From the video the only special thing from this touch pad is it is suppose to vibrate when you move across buttons to provide haptic feedback, similar to early touch screen phones.

Not having used this yet, I cannot say if it's good or bad. Most of us thought the gen 1/2 controller was not user friendly until we used it. I'm sure Lexus engineers and designers thought it through as much they could. I mean, they even moved its position from the gen 2 model, so there probably is a purpose for it.

Most automative manufactures are moving away from touch screen nav systems, except Tesla, because it's outdated technology for its purpose. Blackberry thought it could stay in the game when Apple released a touch screen phone, look at them now. Sony didn't move into mp3 players quickly because they thought their walkman could keep up, kids don't even know about walkmans now that we're in the era of iPods.

I don't know why people are so persistent in wanting to return to touch screen nav systems when newer technology is available. It may be hard to use at first, but you'll adapt. For those having a hard time, maybe your negativity towards it is providing a mental block from being able to use it without frustration. Also, the current system looks more elegant than the 2IS's infotainment console, IMO.
Old 11-24-13, 08:38 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any word on whether or not this new center console is coming to '15 IS'?

Any other interior differences between our IS' and the RC?

And any video (not the one above) showing how the new interface works?

Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 11-24-13 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 08:52 PM
DIG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyeball
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...#axzz2lLhicpeI

This article confirms that the "clunky" mouse is going to be replaced with a touchpad ... for the new RC

Wouldn't be surprised to see a touchpad as well for the 2015 3IS
I just bought a 2014 IS 350 F Sport and it has a touch pad, works very well.

Quick Reply: remote touch to be replaced by touchpad