IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dinging Notification Alarm Noise Upon Shut Down

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 07:58 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dinging Notification Alarm Noise Upon Shut Down

My car makes a dinging notification alarm noise upon shut down (only one press of the start-stop button for shut down) when the door is open, even though the lights are on automatic and everything has been properly shut down. When I step out, shut the door and lock the car, the it locks properly and the noise goes away. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 11-20-13, 08:12 PM
JLex23
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you open the door before you turn the car off it will do this.
Old 11-20-13, 08:14 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLex23
If you open the door before you turn the car off it will do this.
But I have turned the car off...

Car is on, I press start-stop once, it shuts down, I open door and hear dinging, making me think I've left something on, but I haven't. Confused!
Old 11-20-13, 08:19 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
But I have turned the car off...

Car is on, I press start-stop once, it shuts down, I open door and hear dinging, making me think I've left something on, but I haven't. Confused!
Did it do this before? What if you turn off the light does it still make the sound?
Old 11-20-13, 08:21 PM
semoquer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you leave your lights on auto?
Old 11-20-13, 08:33 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Did it do this before? What if you turn off the light does it still make the sound?
Don't think my mind is playing tricks on me, but no, I believe this is new, as it's annoying and hasn't bothered me before; not sure what's changed!? Have to see if flipping my light switch from auto to off back to auto silences the chime.

Originally Posted by semoquer
do you leave your lights on auto?
Yes, I leave them on auto.
Old 11-20-13, 10:00 PM
semoquer
Rookie

it is probably that. turn your headlights off manually and see what happens.
Old 11-20-13, 11:41 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is normal. My 2IS does the same thing and so does my 3IS. I think it has to do something with the steering when lock not engaging due to the door being open when the car is turned off. Kind of like leaving the key in the ignition.

You'll notice the noise stops when the door is closed and the steering wheel look engages. If you can't hear the steering wheel lock engage with the door closes, leave the door open and press the light button in the door jam. You'll hear it engage and the dinging will stop.
Old 11-21-13, 02:28 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Don't think my mind is playing tricks on me, but no, I believe this is new, as it's annoying and hasn't bothered me before; not sure what's changed!? Have to see if flipping my light switch from auto to off back to auto silences the chime.

Yes, I leave them on auto.
It's not playing tricks on you. I noticed the same thing on my 3is and yes my lights are on auto. I only noticed this ha
Ones since the time changed.
Old 11-21-13, 05:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

It's happened to me the other day actually, only once and it puzzled me. It hasn't happened again.
Old 11-21-13, 06:50 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

my 2013 GS 350 does the same thing
Old 11-21-13, 07:47 AM
redcupr
Driver

I get this if I turn the car off and then open the door a split second later. It's stops dinging once you close the door.
Old 11-21-13, 07:55 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
This is normal. My 2IS does the same thing and so does my 3IS. I think it has to do something with the steering when lock not engaging due to the door being open when the car is turned off. Kind of like leaving the key in the ignition.

You'll notice the noise stops when the door is closed and the steering wheel look engages. If you can't hear the steering wheel lock engage with the door closes, leave the door open and press the light button in the door jam. You'll hear it engage and the dinging will stop.
Yup it dings when you open the door then shut the car off. Took me a while to realize why my wheel would not lock every time I shut the car down.
Old 11-21-13, 09:18 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

This is strange. I don’t recall this happening when the car was new and only recall it starting about a week ago. Did someone say this has to do with the recent day light savings time change??? Anyway, it’s annoying and shouldn’t work like this. Yes, it’s the noise one would hear if you were to leave your key in the ignition (or as I said earlier, when the lights are left on). Why has this happened for some only once, whereas others and I are continuing to hear same? Correct me if I’m wrong, but if it has to do with the steering wheel locking are we saying we should wait in the car after shut down, wait to hear the steering wheel lock and then open the door to not hear this? There’re several peculiar traits of this car, as if Lexus were a start-up like Tesla. Any additional insight is welcome.
Old 11-21-13, 09:43 AM
enoren
Pole Position

Can anyone lay out, step by step, how this is occurring? From the OP on, I'm not even clear what ding you're hearing when. Is the car in park? When was the door opened? Are any windows or the moonroof open? Is it one ding or a constant dinging?

Quick Reply: Dinging Notification Alarm Noise Upon Shut Down