IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did you consider Mercedes?

Old 11-11-13, 03:22 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you consider Mercedes?

Just came across this article regarding Mercedes trying to take over BMW in global sales:

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...tml?cmpid=yhoo

I see threads on this forum debating whether to buy 3IS versus Audi, BMW, Infiniti, and Cadillac.

What about Mercedes though? I personally am not a fan ....
Old 11-11-13, 03:35 PM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I did but the interior is about 10 years behind the times.
Old 11-11-13, 03:41 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeball
Just came across this article regarding Mercedes trying to take over BMW in global sales:

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...tml?cmpid=yhoo

I see threads on this forum debating whether to buy 3IS versus Audi, BMW, Infiniti, and Cadillac.

What about Mercedes though? I personally am not a fan ....
I've never been a MB fan. BMW and Audi definitely yes, but MB just does not appeal to me. Also, it seems most of the affordable German cars are migrating toward four bangers.

I was really leaning toward a BMW435i, but I have a family member that works for Toyota, and the family corporate discount is really great. Also, after driving my wife's ES300h for several months, I am sold on Lexus quality. Since I work in QA for a Fortune 500 company, quality is high on my list. Then Lexus introduces the 3G IS which is a knock out gorgeous and innovating looking car. While I would have preferred the IS350, I really don't need the power or added insurance and excise tax cost.
Old 11-11-13, 03:49 PM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Also went to 2 Benz dealers and both sales guys were jerks. Asked them to sell me the car over a Lexus IS and both had a smug "This is a MB the name speaks for itself." I am German but both those guys were just asshats.
Old 11-11-13, 03:56 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

IMO, just on exterior appearance, Benz has it down really good on the C and E Class. Absolutely luxurious and stunning. C63 is freaken hot.
Old 11-11-13, 03:57 PM
js1011
Rookie

I have never been a BNZ fan, so to directly answer your question... no.

I would have went BMW 335i first, but i didn't like the body style. They all look the same, even though the 335i is better than the IS 350 (you all can debate it all you want - it is), I just couldn't get past the body style. Next on the list was the Q50, because I was really into their technology, but yet again it came down to the body style. So, here I am with the IS 350 - nice aggressive lines on the outside, "okay" power, and a great suspension.
Old 11-11-13, 03:58 PM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

The outside of the C and E are nice but the interiors are crap.
Old 11-11-13, 04:42 PM
WWM
Rookie

I had a C63 coupe before the 3IS and the interior was really lacking. The C63 was a 2012 but it really felt dated. Much better sound system though, which I miss.

After driving some non-AMG C and E class models, they just aren't very fun. If you want a sporty ride, you either have to get an AMG or something like an SL, which is serious money. Whereas you can get an IS350 F-Sport or 328i/335i and still have a relatively sporting feel without having to step up to an F or M.
Old 11-11-13, 06:17 PM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I sure did I went to check out the new CLA with sport package n crap but they wanted $6k down for a 399 payment I laughed at them and walked out and honestly didn't like ride quality n crap
Old 11-11-13, 06:44 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
Also went to 2 Benz dealers and both sales guys were jerks. Asked them to sell me the car over a Lexus IS and both had a smug "This is a MB the name speaks for itself." I am German but both those guys were just asshats.
That's really arrogant lol. I would leave, too!
Old 11-11-13, 09:54 PM
semoquer
Rookie

I saw the new CLA on the road and nearly threw up.. I'm shocked that MB actually sells a car like that. It's almost like an older Hyundai.
Old 11-11-13, 10:17 PM
F350
Pole Position

was actually waiting for the CLA45, but when i saw the 3IS in the flesh and test drove it ... rest is history.
Old 11-11-13, 10:26 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I saw a CLA on the road last week. I about peed my pants because of how bad it is and what they must have paid just to have that tri star on the hood. MB is relying on exactly that, their name. If you like to spend thousands on a name go for it. If you are searching for reliability, resale value, and a overall good value, German is never the way to go.

I looked at MB as well. They are full of themselves as others have said. I wish to be sold on what I am looking at and not told it sells itself. If that were the case, MB wouldn't need car salesman.
Old 11-11-13, 10:36 PM
semoquer
Rookie

MB dealers are certainly rude... I walked in with my gym clothes and they thought I was some chump looking for a test drive. There was one salesman who was helping me, but as soon as he saw another gentleman in a suit and tie, he actually left me to go deal with him! WOWW I just walked out. I went to a Lexus dealer not too far in the same outfit. The salesman actually had a conversation with me that was not even Lexus or car related! He did not care wether I was serious to buy or not. He did not care how I presented myself. I actually special ordered my car that night and paid a cash down payment. Lexus' gain, MB's lost.

Now the moral isn't to dress down to see who takes care of you. The moral is that Lexus has the best customer service I have ever had the pleasure to experience. I don't care what car you are selling; you as a representative of a company will go much further treating each and every customer with dignity rather than scanning for the next sale.
Old 11-11-13, 11:53 PM
abcsoup
Driver

These MB horror stories are awful. I hope they are specific to certain dealers or salespersons. Few things are worse than dealing with people who don't take you seriously nor with respect. Makes me angry just reading about it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did you consider Mercedes?