IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Oil changing

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 09:39 PM
anhzie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not good at this, but i heard my friend say they changing oil every 3k miles....idk if it good or not! give me suggestion thanks!
Old 11-11-13, 09:52 PM
semoquer
Rookie

I think a 3k change is overkill.. The 3IS comes with synthetic oil, and toyota recommends a 10k oil change interval.

I feel that if you really want an earlier change, you can change it at a 5k interval. Every time the service light comes on that is.
Old 11-12-13, 05:40 AM
sloosh
Driver

Originally Posted by anhzie
im not good at this, but i heard my friend say they changing oil every 3k miles....idk if it good or not! give me suggestion thanks!
With today's oils and engines, every 3K is a waste of money.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 11-12-13, 05:29 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do oil change in every 3000~5000k
Synthetic oil isn't that expensive now a day.
Driving on fresh oil is much more rewarding.
Old 11-12-13, 05:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Velocity
do an oil analysis and TBN test and youll get to see how much money youre wasting
Old 11-12-13, 06:03 PM
euro.r
Driver

I changed the oil on my GF's 250 at about 5500 miles. Used synthetic Pennzoil Platinum, 0w-20 and Lexus filter/crush washer which took me about 20 minutes with the car on ramps. Sorry, I didn't bother to document however for those who've done this on the 2IS, it's nearly identical.

Also, I've done 3 used oil analysis for my STi with Blackstone and found it's a decent way to know what's going on with your engine oil, though not indicative of all potential problems. It will show you how the oil is holding up (shearing) which is/was a huge ongoing debate in the WRX/STi forums.
Old 11-12-13, 06:12 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Velocity
but here is the thing, if the oil you took out is no worse than the oil that went in other than a different color, why would you do it?
even if you have money to throw away, who has the time or the interest?
i could see throwing money away on waxing your car every week, because some people really enjoy doing that and it doesn't cost much.
but truthfully why waste the money? you could get 3 oil changes out of the intervals your chugging with 1 10,000 interval.

i change the oil in my tacoma every 7500 because what toyota said to do and thats when the maintenance light comes on.

on a side note, i had a friend (who passed away years ago) who used to lease cars. he once had a 2000 toyota 4 runner. since it was a lease his attitude was that he didn't want to spend any more money than he absolutely had to on the car. the payment and insurance was enough, he wasn't poor, just a cheap ***!
we were driving to denver once and he told me he had never changed the oil since he got the truck which now had 17,000 miles on it!
i about freaked out!
he said to me "who cares? it's a lease" as long as it lasts me 3 years, past that time is none of his concern.
well i managed to get him to change the oil in it. the truck was just fine. but i would never go that long between changes even on a leased car.

another oil story. one of my clients has invented some sort of oil refinery that fits under the hood, it apparently cleans or refines the oil while the engine runs! i was told that beyond checking the level periodically the oil will last the life of the vehicle!
apparently they have already got interest from Fed Ex and the local utility company. i was told the utility company is already using it in their trucks.
they are supposedly in process of getting approval on a patent for it.
pretty neat idea if you ask me. I'm sure the oil companies won't like it. it may never make it to market because if i were them i am sure the oil companies will offer him millions to buy the patent and flush the idea down the drain seeing to it that it never makes it to market.

anyway if your changing your oil every 3k miles you have fallen victim to the grease monkeys and other oil change places of the world that cash in on peoples fear of engine damage. the same people who buy all kinds of additives to put into their engine that do more harm than good.
one of the oldest tricks in the book for sales 101 is scaring people into buying things they don't need.
either directly or indirectly i think you've fallen victim to that analogy.
Old 12-03-13, 07:56 PM
lexgolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
on a side note, i had a friend (who passed away years ago) who used to lease cars. he once had a 2000 toyota 4 runner. since it was a lease his attitude was that he didn't want to spend any more money than he absolutely had to on the car. the payment and insurance was enough, he wasn't poor, just a cheap ***!
we were driving to denver once and he told me he had never changed the oil since he got the truck which now had 17,000 miles on it!
i about freaked out!
he said to me "who cares? it's a lease" as long as it lasts me 3 years, past that time is none of his concern.
well i managed to get him to change the oil in it. the truck was just fine. but i would never go that long between changes even on a leased car.

another oil story. one of my clients has invented some sort of oil refinery that fits under the hood, it apparently cleans or refines the oil while the engine runs! i was told that beyond checking the level periodically the oil will last the life of the vehicle!
apparently they have already got interest from Fed Ex and the local utility company. i was told the utility company is already using it in their trucks.
they are supposedly in process of getting approval on a patent for it.
pretty neat idea if you ask me. I'm sure the oil companies won't like it. it may never make it to market because if i were them i am sure the oil companies will offer him millions to buy the patent and flush the idea down the drain seeing to it that it never makes it to market.

If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.
Old 12-03-13, 08:08 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexgolf
If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.
well all i can tell you is the clients are parents of the inventor, i am sure they are excited for their son.
but they tell me they are supporting him in getting this off the ground.
i mentioned in the past i had heard of someone who created a filter of sorts to do something similar. but they said, no this is totally different, it is a process and contraption that he has worked long and hard to get small enough to fit under the hood of a truck. so the local utility company has it installed on a few of the vehicles in their fleet and is very excited about it.

they have absolutely no reason to lie to me, i man after all we were talking about life insurance and retirement for them.
they said they hope the invention takes off because i think they are hopeful to reap some of the benefits being part of the family.
if its true it could literally be worth millions!

but i totally understand your skepticism, i was a little surprised and disbelief myself.
but thats the thing about inventions and patents. if you or i knew this was possible and how it is done we would have already invented it!
i dont pretend to know how to refine oil, or the process involved.
i don't think its totally maintenance free. i am sure you have to add some kind of chemical and probably dispose of the left over gunk.
who knows? maybe it is possible? just because you don't know how to do this, doesn't mean it's not possible.
there was a time when they thought it was impossible to put a man on the moon, and they pretty much busted that theory all to hell didn't they?
Old 12-03-13, 08:13 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

i just looked up under hood oil refinery and this came up. looks pretty promising to me and this is just a fancy filter!
http://www.trasko-usa.com/about/about.htm
Old 12-03-13, 08:28 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

hmm this looks really interesting!
http://www.onboardoiltech.com/OnBoard_FlyerSCRr1.pdf
Old 12-03-13, 08:36 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

well what do you know!
this IS the same company. look at the very last video on this page! check out the label sticker on the door of this truck! what do we see C dot this means COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
this is a CITY vehicle. just like my client told me..

so about that bridge you were talking about? how much did you say it was?

http://www.onboardoiltech.com/index.php/applicationis

see it for yourself!
Old 12-04-13, 08:07 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech

see it for yourself!
Case closed! Always helps to have proof to support your words.
Old 12-04-13, 10:14 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by moose66
Case closed! Always helps to have proof to support your words.
lol I was expecting to get a reply from Lexgolf but I did get a good chuckle out of the post I made.
Old 12-04-13, 11:23 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's like soiled underwear. Why change it if it still works. It just looks dirty and smells terrible. I tend to change my oil between 3.5k and 7k. Oil and filter are cheap and I do enjoy maintaining my cars as well as detailing it.

Quick Reply: Oil changing