IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ticking noise coming from the engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 01:01 PM
Motivated1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise coming from the engine

Hello guys, this is my first Lexus so I'm still getting use to how the car runs and sounds. The thing that i have notice the most about my new 21014 IS250 F sport is the ticking noise coming from the engine. This is one beautiful car and there are so many great things I can say about the car, but the ticking noise is really bothering me. I was also told that this is a common thing with all Lexus brands (ticking noise). When the car is on and I'm inside its quite, but when i stand next to the car i hear an overwhelming amount of ticking noise. I do have an appointment with the dealership to take a look at the source of noise but can anyone help me out and reassure me that this is normal.
thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-13, 01:06 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Direct Injection engines

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 11-05-13, 01:18 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also talked about already in this forum (Searched on "Tick")

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ur-engine.html
Old 11-05-13, 02:13 PM
Motivated1
Driver School Candidate

thank you guys..
Old 12-18-13, 08:43 PM
asavage1
Driver School Candidate

I have the same noise problem in my 2011 LS 460. This is my 9th Lexus, and the first one to have this annoying ticking sound. My dealership told me that it is a common sound in the new Lexus V8 engine, and nothing can be done about it. A friend in San Francisco with a 2007 LS 460 complains of the same problem, and has been told the same story by his dealership. If this is a ubiquitous problem with all their newer engines, I would expect Lexus to do a re-call or otherwise fix it. The noise is very irritating.
Old 12-18-13, 08:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by asavage1
I have the same noise problem in my 2011 LS 460. This is my 9th Lexus, and the first one to have this annoying ticking sound. My dealership told me that it is a common sound in the new Lexus V8 engine, and nothing can be done about it. A friend in San Francisco with a 2007 LS 460 complains of the same problem, and has been told the same story by his dealership. If this is a ubiquitous problem with all their newer engines, I would expect Lexus to do a re-call or otherwise fix it. The noise is very irritating.
There's nothing to fix, because nothing is wrong. The ticking is a characteristic of direct injection engines, as already noted in this thread.
Old 12-18-13, 09:31 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asavage1
Too Funny
Old 12-18-13, 09:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

All direct injection engines tick. This has been going on for about ten years now. Nothing is wrong, it's normal. At least with Lexus, their makes a higher-pitched tick sound. With some other brands like Honda, they sound like rumbling diesels. Count your blessings, as it could be way more unpleasant.
Old 11-19-18, 10:36 AM
AMM87
Driver School Candidate

Default Did u ever figure out what the sound was?

I have the exact same issue that only happens under all the exact circumstances that you described. The only difference is that its coming from my 2002 Lexus ES300 with about 179,000 miles on it.

So, I am very interested in knowing if you ever got it figured out/resolved?

THX!
Old 11-19-18, 12:02 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by AMM87
I have the exact same issue that only happens under all the exact circumstances that you described. The only difference is that its coming from my 2002 Lexus ES300 with about 179,000 miles on it.

So, I am very interested in knowing if you ever got it figured out/resolved?

THX!
Your ES 300 has a different engine from the IS models listed in this thread. If I understand correctly, it is a port-injected unit, not direct-injected as in the IS engines. You should post in the ES forums if you want a good answer.
Old 11-19-18, 12:40 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Engines are extremely complex and violent objects. I always find it funny when people (usually non car people) complain of noises. The rotational force an engine produces does not come from the power fairy. Engines work by creating hundreds and hundreds of explosions with fireballs to power your car down the road. There's plenty of things going on under the hood. Engines are supposed to make noise.

If you have a new Lexus or even an older Lexus, the engines are nearly invincible and nothing except extreme abuse and isolated defects would cause abnormal noises. This is mostly the rule for all cars, but especially for a Lexus engine, and a new Lexus engine at that!

Your particular "noise" is just direct injection doing direct injection things. Same w/ BMW and any other car using a similar system.

Just relax and enjoy your Lexus =)
The following users liked this post:
Bigtwin (08-15-21)
Old 11-19-18, 01:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by E46CT
Engines are extremely complex and violent objects. I always find it funny when people (usually non car people) complain of noises. The rotational force an engine produces does not come from the power fairy. Engines work by creating hundreds and hundreds of explosions with fireballs to power your car down the road. There's plenty of things going on under the hood. Engines are supposed to make noise.

If you have a new Lexus or even an older Lexus, the engines are nearly invincible and nothing except extreme abuse and isolated defects would cause abnormal noises. This is mostly the rule for all cars, but especially for a Lexus engine, and a new Lexus engine at that!

Your particular "noise" is just direct injection doing direct injection things. Same w/ BMW and any other car using a similar system.

Just relax and enjoy your Lexus =)
???

Port-injected engines like the one in the aforementioned ES 300 are not commonly known to have noticeable ticking sounds in the same way that direct-injected engines are. I'd be concerned especially if the engine hasn't always made the noise, and it's a new thing.

However, the general sentiment of your post is something I agree with. The engine isn't broken - mine's been ticking since I drove it home with only 7 miles on the odometer, and I know it is supposed to. No need to be paranoid about a brand-new car. In the case of that older ES, I might raise a question if it hasn't been ticking since day 1.
Old 11-22-18, 08:03 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Engines work by creating hundreds and hundreds of explosions with fireballs to power your car down the road.
Actually, this is incorrect. Combustion isn't an explosion, that's detonation. Combustion is a controlled burn, converting the potential energy in the fuel to kinetic energy via oxygen and flame.

I agree that some noise is normal, but we all know that there are very quiet engines out there, and those with a lot of noise. It's the DI system that creates most of the noise for us, but not all. It's just a noisy engine.
Old 06-26-19, 01:07 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
There's nothing to fix, because nothing is wrong. The ticking is a characteristic of direct injection engines, as already noted in this thread.
If that is true, why doesn’t the DI make the noise when vehicle is new? My 2015 RX didn’t start making the ticking noise until millage reached 15 thousand k’s. It very well be the DI as you suggest, however, it is not normal for these cars to be doing this. My 2015 RX has only 20 thousand kilometres on it. There is a lot more to this noise then DI being loud. Lexus wouldn’t be able to sell these cars if they made this noise when new(I purchased mine new)so it sounds like there is something fishie in the Lexus camp
Old 06-26-19, 01:29 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by novaman
If that is true, why doesn’t the DI make the noise when vehicle is new? My 2015 RX didn’t start making the ticking noise until millage reached 15 thousand k’s. It very well be the DI as you suggest, however, it is not normal for these cars to be doing this. My 2015 RX has only 20 thousand kilometres on it. There is a lot more to this noise then DI being loud. Lexus wouldn’t be able to sell these cars if they made this noise when new(I purchased mine new)so it sounds like there is something fishie in the Lexus camp
I don't think your RX has the same engine. In fact, your car has a 2GR-FE engine, which, in RX form, only has port injection. If you are concerned about the noise, you could ask in the RX (3rd gen) forums or take the car to your mechanic or dealership.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise coming from the engine