IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Organizing your USB flashdrive

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 02:04 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sloosh
iTunes is ****...and it does not allow you to customize sorting of your library folders at all last I checked.

As I stated in a previous post, use MediaMonkey. This allows tagging and will auto-organize based on pretty much anything you want - genre, artist, album, etc. Before you do that though you likely need to convert the WAVs to MP3. I used AudioGrabber years ago for that. Probably something better out there than that. If you're not "techie," find someone who is.

Edit: scratch that, I guess you don't need to convert to tag WAV files. So just use MediaMonkey. I've got mine organized like: {GENRE}/{ARTIST}/{SONGNAME}.mp3
Great; I'll definitely give it a go! But does it cost anything? The link mentions upgrading to MediaMonkey Gold for $25. Are there limitations to the free download? ALSO, to confirm, it organizes folder structure automatically, right (not just when the program is open)?

THANKS!
Old 11-07-13, 02:55 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Does MediaMonkey add GraceNote tag info (i.e.: album cover, artwork, etc.)?
Old 11-08-13, 05:48 AM
sloosh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MediaMonkey free version will do everything you need to regarding tagging and organizing. A quick google search looks like it provides tagging of album art as well. Also, no spyware, etc.

And just a FYI - GraceNote isn't a tag - it's a company that has a database that contains information on music.
Old 11-08-13, 12:58 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do MediaMonkey work on Macs?
Old 11-08-13, 01:27 PM
sloosh
Driver

Originally Posted by Randre19
Do MediaMonkey work on Macs?
Technically no...but people have gotten it to work via a workaround (Wine) - http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/vie...hp?f=1&t=65996
Old 11-08-13, 07:55 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Bought a 16 gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit for $15. Amazing how small these things are!

As inexpensive as the memory is, don't understand why our cars don't have same built in.
Old 11-08-13, 08:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600

As inexpensive as the memory is, don't understand why our cars don't have same built in.
I dont want to know how much it would cost to replace if built in memory burned up
Old 11-08-13, 08:20 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I dont want to know how much it would cost to replace if built in memory burned up
Understood, but I've never had either a USB drive or an in-car hard drive go bad.

Many years ago I did have a laptop hard drive go bad, however.
Old 11-08-13, 11:52 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Earlier tonight I organized folders containing WAV files in each on the USB drive, was excited to plug same into my car to see the fruits of my labor, but was disappointed when the car kept randomly jumping from file to file stating “1”, “2”, “3”… and so on. From the main screen, I wasn’t able to skip from folder to folder either and would need to click on the blank square box (where I believe album art should have been) to move to the next folder. Sorry, but this is difficult to describe. Has anyone seen this, where the car keeps skipping from track to track, with not playing anything? Can someone please lead me in the right direction? Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 11-09-13 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-09-13, 12:26 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

The same USB drive I'm having problems with in my Lexus works in my BMW; the files are WAV files. Those of you who have saved music to and play music from USB drives, can you please describe the way in which your files are organized on same (simply folders containing WAV files?)? This is why I never got into saving music on my computer / iPhone, etc. Thanks!
Old 11-11-13, 06:46 AM
sloosh
Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600

There is some "built-in" memory, hence why you can "rewind" the radio station. You just can't copy music from the flash drive to it. What they really needed to have was a SDCard reader for music. That would've been the cleanest solution.

Earlier tonight I organized folders containing WAV files in each on the USB drive, was excited to plug same into my car to see the fruits of my labor, but was disappointed when the car kept randomly jumping from file to file stating “1”, “2”, “3”… and so on. From the main screen, I wasn’t able to skip from folder to folder either and would need to click on the blank square box (where I believe album art should have been) to move to the next folder. Sorry, but this is difficult to describe. Has anyone seen this, where the car keeps skipping from track to track, with not playing anything? Can someone please lead me in the right direction? Thanks.
You sure you don't have randomize or randomize folder enabled? Mine plays all the files sequentially in a folder unless that is enabled.

Also, as a side note, the randomize functionality is kind of screwed up. Sometimes it will repeat a song it's already played and if you accidentally skip a song and hit "back" to try to play it, the previous song really isn't the previous song - it's just a random song. Retarded. Even my 4 year old mp3 player keeps track of songs correctly.

The same USB drive I'm having problems with in my Lexus works in my BMW; the files are WAV files. Those of you who have saved music to and play music from USB drives, can you please describe the way in which your files are organized on same (simply folders containing WAV files?)? This is why I never got into saving music on my computer / iPhone, etc. Thanks!
Really you shouldn't be using WAVs - you should be using MP3s (encoded at at least 192 kb/s, but preferably 320 kb/s) or OGGs (though I don't know if they're supported). You're wasting a lot of space by using WAVs. My MP3s, as I've stated, are organized by genre then by artist. I'd say you need someone tech savvy to help you set it up dbs600.
Old 12-08-13, 09:28 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

USB Music Playback Help Needed! :|

Can't figure out how to play music from a USB flash drive!?

Has bothered me since I took delivery and any help would be appreciated!

When I plug in the flash drive and go to USB as a source, the system scrolls through each of the folders and files on the drive (Folder 1 - File 1, Folder 1 - File 2, Folder 1 - File 3… Folder 2, File 1… etc.). It takes a long time to get through everything and when done it says something to the effect of “No Music Files”. All I have on the drive are regular WMA files, which are a supported format according to the manual, and what’s strange is that when I click “Browse”, I see the correct folder and file names, but cannot play same.

I’ve used different flash drives, formatted each multiple times, organized folders differently, all to no avail.

I’m really impressed with the quality of the standard sound system, but can’t believe our cars don’t have an on-board hard drive for a music collection!?

FYI, I’m able to play music form the drive on two of my other vehicles without problem.

Thanks. :|
Attached Thumbnails Organizing your USB flashdrive-photo_1.jpg   Organizing your USB flashdrive-photo_2.jpg   Organizing your USB flashdrive-photo_3.jpg  
Old 12-09-13, 07:05 AM
jizoe
Rookie

I just put my music into specific folders and hit random.
Old 12-10-13, 10:45 AM
detroit1
Driver School Candidate

can anyone confirm that the new Lexus's with ML can play WAV ? I thought it only will play mp3 and WMA
I just came back from the dealer and I am getting a GS350 2013 with ML and I had WAV, FLAC, PCM 5.1 and mp3 files in different folders and Only the mp3 would play
I would love to play Wav files
Old 12-10-13, 11:18 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by detroit1
can anyone confirm that the new Lexus's with ML can play WAV ? I thought it only will play mp3 and WMA
I just came back from the dealer and I am getting a GS350 2013 with ML and I had WAV, FLAC, PCM 5.1 and mp3 files in different folders and Only the mp3 would play
I would love to play Wav files
Not sure, as I can't get anything to play; sorry. :|

Quick Reply: Organizing your USB flashdrive