IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

burning rubber smell when driving on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 03:28 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default burning rubber smell when driving on freeway

Took the car on the hwy earlier today. A/C was on and wss going about 60 mph when all of a sudden I got this horrible burning rubber smell inside the cabin.

I exited the freeway and the smell eventually subsided. Anyone else have this issue? I'll try agsin tomorrow to see if the smells comes back.
Old 10-21-13, 05:42 AM
GreyCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check if there is any plastic bags that got stuck onto your exhaust?
Old 10-21-13, 06:01 AM
KumaF
Driver

Did you release the parking brake?
Old 10-21-13, 09:05 AM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 31 Posts

When you drift, you get that smell sometimes!

Like another poster said, check to see if some road debris may have got caught on the exhaust. Secondly, drive the car for a couple of miles and then park it while idling (be safe, set the parking brake, etc.). Pop the hood and sniff around, then check all four corners of the car to see if you can pick up on the smell from a particular part of the car If you don't smell anything, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you do, especially in the engine compartment, I'd probably take it by the dealer for an inspection if you cannot see anything on the exhaust pipes.
Old 10-21-13, 09:16 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

was gonna say your tires might be rubbing but i doubt your modded?
Old 10-21-13, 10:39 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

]Parking brake was released and no plastic bag anywhere. Smell leaks from the vents only when driving on the freeway.

Car is stock and windows were shut closed. Cabin air was set to recirculation.
Old 10-21-13, 11:13 AM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time my car smells like that is in my garage. It gives off a burnt aroma when it's parked.
Old 10-21-13, 12:10 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 31 Posts

How many miles are on it? My 2013 Accord Touring had a burning smell until around 2,000 miles. My 2012 F150 Ecoboost had it until past 3,000 miles, especially if I got on it. It takes a while to burn off all oils, coatings, etc.
Old 10-21-13, 12:12 PM
sloosh
Driver

Originally Posted by amoney805
The only time my car smells like that is in my garage. It gives off a burnt aroma when it's parked.
Shipped car engines are sprayed with some kind of chemical to help protect it from the salt air/water during it's trip overseas. It takes a little bit of time for it to burn off. That's most likely what you're smelling if it's new....it might explain vbx's as well.
Old 10-21-13, 03:40 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Drove on the freeway this morning. This time under "normal mode" no burning smell.
Old 10-22-13, 07:31 AM
redcupr
Driver

I get a smell similar to burning rubber after driving the car hard, then coming to a stop. Must be a coating somewhere on the engine that is burning off. I'm at 3,000 miles and the smell is getting less noticeable.
Old 10-22-13, 10:10 AM
Fsportlex
Driver

the car is new and it will make some smells that slowly go away over time....remember your car is being broken in and thats the way it goes...mine did that twice on the highway and now im at 4000 miles and it doesnt anymore...also when parked from driving a little hard it will have a weird smell but thats just he motors fluids and metal being broken in ...not a big deal i had my car checked by lexus because mine had some type of electrical wire burning smell and its nothing
Old 10-22-13, 10:30 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fsportlex
the car is new and it will make some smells that slowly go away over time....remember your car is being broken in and thats the way it goes...mine did that twice on the highway and now im at 4000 miles and it doesnt anymore...also when parked from driving a little hard it will have a weird smell but thats just he motors fluids and metal being broken in ...not a big deal i had my car checked by lexus because mine had some type of electrical wire burning smell and its nothing
Why would the burning smell seep from the vents when the system is set to recirculate. Isnt it an enclosed system?

I bought my g35 brand new. It didnt suffer from any burning smell.
Old 10-22-13, 11:03 AM
jeonglee74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sloosh
Shipped car engines are sprayed with some kind of chemical to help protect it from the salt air/water during it's trip overseas. It takes a little bit of time for it to burn off. That's most likely what you're smelling if it's new....it might explain vbx's as well.
I have IS350 F-Sport package and I had that burning smell when the car was brand new. I asked the salesman from the dealership who drove my old car back to my home (the car I drove to the dealership) as he noticed the smell too and he explained that this is due to the protective coating the factory sprayed in the engine bay on the brand new cars. The salesman explained the smell would go off eventually. I now have 2,200 miles on the car and I don't have that smell any more. I believe your smell would go away soon.
Old 10-22-13, 11:09 AM
Fsportlex
Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
Why would the burning smell seep from the vents when the system is set to recirculate. Isnt it an enclosed system?

I bought my g35 brand new. It didnt suffer from any burning smell.
it is indeed but do this....drive above 50 mph and put your hand by the drivers side door handle and feel the air coming in....its noticble when its freezing outside...it seems the doors are not sealed completely and air gets in bc i can feel a jetstream of air coming in throught the handle inside and by the window buttons etc...so the smell comes in thru there from the engine bay etc

Quick Reply: burning rubber smell when driving on freeway