IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Where is the manual transmission option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 10:50 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Well, Americans are Lazy. And a lot of them don't know how to drive manuals. It's a lost art.

You will have a lot of people saying yeah they can drive a manual online. But out in the real world, about 2 out of 10 knows how to drive a manual.
I'm one of the 20% who loves cars with three pedals (and knows how to drive them), and I have since getting my driver's license in 1966. My other car is a '13 Mustang GT 6 MT, and even though its clutch is as stiff as a leg press, I love driving it. I also love driving my IS 350, and I don't blame Lexus for marketing an automatic-only car when just 6% of the American market opts for manuals.

Regrettably, I think manuals are in permanent eclipse with the advent of DSG's and quick-shifting automatics like the great 8-speed in the IS 350 rwd. There's something incredibly satisfying though, about rowing through your own gears and using the clutch. My parents' generation, who drove manual-only cars until automatics made their mainstream entrance in the late 40's, embraced automatics and never looked back.
Old 10-21-13, 07:39 AM
hangandrew
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they made manual transmission for this car. I miss driving stick! =/ except in this Houston traffic lol
Old 10-21-13, 07:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by vbx
Well, Americans are Lazy. And a lot of them don't know how to drive manuals. It's a lost art.

You will have a lot of people saying yeah they can drive a manual online. But out in the real world, about 2 out of 10 knows how to drive a manual.
Actually Americans want manuals, its why the F10 M5 offers it, solely b/c Americans demanded it. Ferrari, Lambo etc are now all automatics. Porsche's new GT3 is PDK only....

Manual Lexus is never coming back. They were not that great in the first place and there isn't a large enough amount of buyers dying to buy a manual Lexus.
Old 10-21-13, 08:16 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No Lexus is available with a manual transmission in any country. The last generation IS220d was offered with only a manual. It was hated. Even some ferrari's dont come with manual anymore. Auto's are much smoother
Old 10-21-13, 09:37 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my 2007 IS250 i was manual and the transmission was just terrible in my opinion, so when i bought my 2014 i made sure i got auto although i still love my manual transmission but not in the IS
Old 10-21-13, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Theride
I dont like automatics too much because they are prone to fail if you own the car out of warranty.
I've owned a couple of Lexus products upwards of 200,000 miles and the transmissions on both were/are as good as new.

Outside of some issues with the 98-03 AWD RX look around the forums, people here with OLD cars with hundreds of thousands of miles. You don't read about a lot of transmission problems.

Does lexus plan on making a manual transmission for the IS in the near future?
I would be shocked if Lexus ever made another manual transmission anything ever again.
Old 10-21-13, 02:27 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexlude
I've been driving a 5spd manual last 15 years. Maybe I'm older now but too lazy to drive a manual in traffic.. And with smart autos lately with smooth rev matching, I'll take a great auto over manual.

Look at the GTR.. No manual there..
I agree 100%. Been die-hard manual driver since I got my license, this auto is the first one I actually enjoy driving. It really is a thing of beauty. Sure using flappypaddles isn't the same as rowing through gears, but whatever, I'm over it.

However, turn my motorcycle into an automatic and there will be hell to pay!
Old 10-21-13, 02:52 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure why people are complaining about manuals. because the stupid mouse used to control the navigation and radio is far worse than using a manual car.

manual cars are more fun to drive plain and simple. and it keeps you awake and aware of your surroundings.

having to constantly apply pressure to my brakes is more tiring than shifting gears and resting on neutral.
Old 10-21-13, 03:00 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

if you want a lexus with standard your last hope is the IS-C if you can find a good used one...good luck ha
Old 10-21-13, 03:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why make the car slower and less efficient. I used to drive manual but I know when to realize the tech is superior to move on
Old 10-21-13, 04:00 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

can you redline and clutch kick an auto?? one of the two maybe partial contributors to wanting the third pedal
Old 10-21-13, 04:25 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
why make the car slower and less efficient. I used to drive manual but I know when to realize the tech is superior to move on
It's called options. Some people still prefer manuals. Why offer different colors like black? It's shows swirls to easily.

Why offer Fsport? A 4 door "sports" sedan is whack. We should all get the non-Fsport for a true luxury experience.

Why offer non-VGRS? the VGRS model is more stable at high speeds.

etc. etc.
Old 10-21-13, 04:34 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
100% agree! Technology is a good thing™.
Old 10-21-13, 04:35 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
100% agree! Technology is a good thing™.
If you want "Technology" you should have gotten the Q50. Which has steer by wire, touch screen navi, and so on.
Old 10-21-13, 05:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by vbx
If you want "Technology" you should have gotten the Q50. Which has steer by wire, touch screen navi, and so on.
I don't understand slamming on no manuals then suggesting a car with no steering column with DAS that has gotten poor reviews.

Both offer the same tech mostly and the IS is the better engineered car.

Quick Reply: Where is the manual transmission option?