IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

6-speed transmission in IS350 AWD F-Sport inferior?

Old 10-19-13, 06:45 PM
blum3416
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-speed transmission in IS350 AWD F-Sport inferior?

Hello everyone!

New to this forum and first post. I am currently in the market for a new sports sedan. I am cross-shopping a few different brands and models. AWD is a must for me, since this will be my DD and I live in the Northwest where there is a decent amount of snow and inclement weather. I am looking at the 2014 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport, Audi S4, and the upcoming 2015 Audi S3 sedan.

I was able to go and test drive some cars the other day. Took the Audi S4 out for a spin, and man is that thing a beast! Has a great engine and smooth, quick-shifting transmission. It was never lacking in power and the interior is very nice. Also, the Audi S3 looks very promising and has some great reviews over seas. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test drive the Lexus IS350 to compare since the dealership didn't have one on their lot. Took the IS250 F-Sport instead and I absolutely loved the interior and LFA gauge. The reliability, fit & finish, and features are stellar with the Lexus. Really wanted to compare the performance of the Audi to the Lexus though, but that will have to happen when the dealership gets another one in stock.

I have a question for those who got the Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport. It's at the top of my list, but I noticed that the new 8-speed transmission that was placed in the IS350 RWD wasn't put into the AWD version. Is the current 6-speed transmission inferior? Does it hinder the performance and drivability of car? Also, is it ever not in the right gear to get the most out of the engine? I know there are a lot of great reviews and comparisons with the competition, but it is always with the IS350 F-Sport in RWD with the 8-speed transmission.

Lastly, for everyone who picked the Lexus IS350 over the competition, what cars where you cross-shopping it with? How did the Lexus compare with them in regards to performance, drivability, fit & finish, features, etc.? What made you pick the Lexus IS350?

Just want to see how everyone likes their new rides and how they perform, especially with the IS350 AWD F-Sport. Thanks everyone for your responses and feedback!
Old 10-20-13, 05:52 PM
KumaF
Driver

Hi blum, I test drove and ordered a 14' IS350 awd F sport this week. To me the 6sp transmission is still a great one despite having two fewer gears. Assuming this 6sp is a carry-over Aisin unit from 2IS with some improvements, which in the 2IS had pretty aggressive ratios especially for the first three gears. Also a 6sp transmission feels more racie, as least to me.

Performance wise, Motortrend tested both RWD and AWD models of IS350, and they got exactly the same 0-60 time, and identical 1/4 mile time and trap speed.

Fuel economy doesn't differ too much between RWD and AWD either.
Old 10-22-13, 05:19 AM
blum3416
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input. I'm axious to be able to test drive the Lexus so I can get a feel for it too. Hopefully my dealership will be able to get one in stock in the next 2 weeks. That's good to hear that the 6-speed is still a good transmission. I'm just kind of put off by the fact that Lexus didn't implement the new 8-speed transmission across their whole line-up if it is a superior transmission. I'm just debating whether or not I want to get the IS 350 F Sport AWD with all the features or an Audi S4 with only a few additional features. Anyone's input on cars that you compared the Lexus with before ultimately pulling the trigger on the Lexus, and what made you choose the Lexus over the competition. Any comments would help!
Old 10-22-13, 06:17 AM
KumaF
Driver

I tested BMW 335i xDrive M sport, great engine and transmission. But steering and brakes feel kinda rubbery and not crisp, even worse than my 2006 X3 IMO. Don't know why BMW just can't get their electric steering right.
I thought about and S4, but it has already gone through mid-cycle facelift and I am purchasing instead of leasing a car, so might as well get a brand new model. So I didn't bother to test it out. Plus, Audi's are pretty over priced here in Canada.
By comparison the IS350 feels more focused and more engaging to drive, while Lexus has way better service than BMW from what I have experienced. Plus the design of the new IS is just awesome if a bit polarizing but I happen to like it. To me the most important factor is that value that Lexus offers. The price I am paying for my car is about the same of an equivalently optioned BMW 328i, but the IS is faster lol.
Old 10-23-13, 05:16 PM
bwykle
Driver School Candidate

Blum - I was looking at the same cars you were. I had it narrowed down to 3 cars just recently: S4, is 350 F sport, and the Dodge Charger SRT.. The SRT is a bit different than the other two listed, but, when you take the thing for a ride, you may understand?? Maybe gas mileage was another deciding factor.. LOL

After i got the SRT out of my system, i narrowed down to the S4 and F Sport. I drove them both, but ended up with the F Sport because of the end price. After i added everything i wanted on the S4, i was pushing the price up and could not justify the costs since it was included in the F Sport. Another deciding factor was the reliability. I put on 25,ooo miles per year and needed something I would not have to worry about. I dont think the S4 has a bad rap, but when it comes to repairs out of warranty, it would be an expensive fix.

I really love the car. The dash is awesome and the AWD really digs in on the corners. Was hoping for the snow already, but nothing sticking yet to test it out
Old 10-23-13, 05:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's not inferior and they still use the 6-Speed on many applications in the line-up. I believe they havent married the 8-Speed to AWD model because of hardware compatability or until they can build a 8-Speed to match the AWD hardware though maybe someone can confirm that. The difference in fuel economy between the 6 and 8 seems to be roughly 1-2 mpg. Not really that big a difference. Both transmissions are super smooth and have proved reliable. Drive the 350AWD to get a feel for it.
Old 10-23-13, 05:35 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's not inferior and they still use the 6-Speed on many applications in the line-up. I believe they havent married the 8-Speed to AWD model because of hardware compatability or until they can build a 8-Speed to match the AWD hardware though maybe someone can confirm that. The difference in fuel economy between the 6 and 8 seems to be roughly 1-2 mpg. Not really that big a difference. Both transmissions are super smooth and have proved reliable. Drive the 350AWD to get a feel for it.
I'll respond to OPs Q with another Q. Why didn't the Lexus put the 6-speed on IS-F?

http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_p...rticle_id=1519
Old 10-24-13, 06:45 AM
blum3416
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bwykle
Blum - I was looking at the same cars you were. I had it narrowed down to 3 cars just recently: S4, is 350 F sport, and the Dodge Charger SRT.. The SRT is a bit different than the other two listed, but, when you take the thing for a ride, you may understand?? Maybe gas mileage was another deciding factor.. LOL

After i got the SRT out of my system, i narrowed down to the S4 and F Sport. I drove them both, but ended up with the F Sport because of the end price. After i added everything i wanted on the S4, i was pushing the price up and could not justify the costs since it was included in the F Sport. Another deciding factor was the reliability. I put on 25,ooo miles per year and needed something I would not have to worry about. I dont think the S4 has a bad rap, but when it comes to repairs out of warranty, it would be an expensive fix.

I really love the car. The dash is awesome and the AWD really digs in on the corners. Was hoping for the snow already, but nothing sticking yet to test it out
Thanks for the response and sharing your experience! That's how I feel right now. You get a lot more bang for your buck with the Lexus. If I was going to get the Lexus I could get it in F-Sport package with AWD and all the options, but if I get the Audi S4 I can only get the 6-speed manual with navigation and possibly the B&O sound system or the DSG with sports diff and B&O sound system but it will still cost about 1-2k more and I have to make some sacrifices to allow it to fit into my budget. Also, I know that reliability of the Lexus is the best in the buisness, which is great peace of mind. After test driving the Audi, I really enjoyed the power of the engine and interior. However, I haven't been able to drive the IS350, which I am hoping to be able to do next weekend. I'm planning of trying the manual & DSG S4 and IS350 the same day, so I can have a direct comparison.

How was the power of the IS350 compared to the S4? I know the S4 has a more powerful engine, but did the IS350 feel underpowered compared to the S4? That's great to hear that the AWD system of the Lexus works well and has good traction. That something that I need!
Old 10-24-13, 07:00 AM
blum3416
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah, thats what I was thinking too. I can imagine the 6-speed is still a good transmission, but why weren't they able to implement it across their whole line-up, especially with the IS350? I wonder if they ran out of time to pair it with AWD or put it on the back burner until later. It's just a little discouraging, because I feel like if the 8-speed is a superior transmission they cheated the customers who have to get an AWD based car. Also, it makes me wonder if they will expand the 8-speed transmission into the AWD IS350 next year or the following year, which would make this current car inferior since it will have the out-dated 6-speed transmission. I'm sure it isn't a big deal. I'm just concerned it will affect the sportiness and performance of the car with less gears to play with. I agree that I need to just drive the car to get a feel of it.
Old 10-24-13, 04:13 PM
bwykle
Driver School Candidate

Well, its hard to say if i feel it is underpowered. If i had the S4, i would probably want more power also.. LOL My last car was the Nissan Maxima Sport. It supposedly had the same 0-60, but the F Sport feels a lot faster. The only thing that stopped me from the S4 was the price and what was included in the Lexus.
Old 10-28-13, 06:25 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

I need to get to my local store and try the two back to back. The thing that I most care about are whether the convertor locks like it did on the IS-F to make give the car stellar throttle response and cracking, proper, rev-matched downshifts. Both of these things are lacking on the IS350AWD we have now. I THINK this is available on both the 8-speed and the 6 speed now, but I'm not sure. It was already available on the 8-speed because of the IS-F and the LS460 F-Sport.
Old 10-28-13, 09:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Actually, the 6 speed is geared more aggressively than the 8 speed auto. The overall final drive on the 6 speed is shorter than the 8 speed so more torque to the wheels is available in lower gears with the 6 speed.

Yes, the 8 speed auto does lock the torque converter when you put it in manual mode (since it is really the IS-F transmission).