IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

AWD is a must - is it worth getting the 350?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 02:55 PM
Redcastle
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AWD is a must - is it worth getting the 350?

I test drove a 2014 IS 250 and the power is great for around town - taking the car to open track nights or pushing it on winding canyon roads would be fun, but AWD is a must have feature for me for winter. I'm guessing you can't have as much fun on the track with AWD as you would RWD - do you think it's worth getting the 350 with AWD? Any of you with the 250 have regrets for not going with the more powerful 350? Are the 350's harder to come by (I've only seen 250's at my local dealer)?
Old 10-15-13, 03:29 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford it and want it, go for the 350. I don't regret the 250 AWD, but I don't particularly need the extra power and didn't want to spend an extra $80 per month. 350s are harder to find because Lexus expects that 80% of their IS sales will be the 250, so they're everywhere.

I can't compare RWD to AWD (like you, AWD is a must), but I understand that there are actually some benefits to driving AWD on a track. The handling is supposed to be pretty good with all four wheels in play.
Old 10-15-13, 03:51 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that choosing th 350 is not only about the extra horsepower. Sport + mode and AVS (adaptive variable suspension) are exclusive to the 350 F Sport
Old 10-15-13, 04:16 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

as well as the VGRS option (if you care about that...)
Old 10-15-13, 04:17 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alexlude
as well as the VGRS option (if you care about that...)
RWD only, I think
Old 10-15-13, 04:34 PM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Remember that choosing the 350 is not only about the extra horsepower. Sport + mode and AVS (adaptive variable suspension) are exclusive to the 350 F Sport
This. The Sport+ mode does make a noticeable difference in steering feel/stiffness, suspension travel/stiffness/body roll, plus it rev matches by locking up the torque converter on downshifts. Sport mode only increases throttle sensitivity and shift speed. The change in suspension behavior is the key, and not possible on the 250 F-Sport or standard 350.
Old 10-15-13, 05:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

All valid perspectives above. Personally, 250 AWD is what I twice own now, and ZERO regrets. I find the car very peppy and love the smooth 2.5L V6 (even smoother than the 3.5L in the 350)

However, we're not all with the same needs.

One question, what car(s) have you owned? This will help determine and steer you to the right IS.
Old 10-15-13, 05:42 PM
Redcastle
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
All valid perspectives above. Personally, 250 AWD is what I twice own now, and ZERO regrets. I find the car very peppy and love the smooth 2.5L V6 (even smoother than the 3.5L in the 350) However, we're not all with the same needs. One question, what car(s) have you owned? This will help determine and steer you to the right IS.
I currently own a '97 4cyl Camry - owned another used Camry before that and an old '89 Accord. Dependable but boring to drive. I've never had a 6 cyl and never had a new car or a sport sedan. I'm mid thirties and feel it's time to treat myself after getting by for years with old used vehicles while in college. Was looking at used IS's but I absolutely LOVE the new IS - never felt this way about a car before

At first I thought there was no way I'd spend this much on a car, but after test driving a BMW 328i Xdrive (which was really fun to drive but I'd NEVER buy one), then after test driving the new IS, I am certain the IS is for me. Trying to decide which one to get. I'd probably be happy with the 250, just not really sure how much I 'll be comfortable pushing it. I wish Lexus had a driving school like Porsche or BMW so I could really test drive the two before deciding.

Just wish there weren't so many trade-offs with the packages. For example, I really want the ventilated seats for 100 degree summers, but you can't get ventilation with the Fsport package which I want. Choices choices
Old 10-15-13, 05:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Redcastle
I currently own a '97 4cyl Camry - owned another used Camry before that and an old '89 Accord. Dependable but boring to drive. I've never had a 6 cyl and never had a new car or a sport sedan. I'm mid thirties and feel it's time to treat myself after getting by for years with old used vehicles while in college. Was looking at used IS's but I absolutely LOVE the new IS - never felt this way about a car before

At first I thought there was no way I'd spend this much on a car, but after test driving a BMW 328i Xdrive (which was really fun to drive but I'd NEVER buy one), then after test driving the new IS, I am certain the IS is for me. Trying to decide which one to get. I'd probably be happy with the 250, just not really sure how much I 'll be comfortable pushing it. I wish Lexus had a driving school like Porsche or BMW so I could really test drive the two before deciding.

Just wish there weren't so many trade-offs with the packages. For example, I really want the ventilated seats for 100 degree summers, but you can't get ventilation with the Fsport package which I want. Choices choices
Thanks for the history. I'm practically the same age as you and I also had 4 cyl cars in the past. It's now black and white to me, the IS 250 AWD will easily fulfill your expectations not to mention the monthly savings making this a truly sensible choice. You can push this car believe me thanks to the wonderfully stiff and nimble chassis/suspension combo across all IS's. You came from a 98 hp carburated (or 120 hp fuel-injected) '89 Accord and later 2.2L 130 hp Camry, the 250 is a rocket ship. Your only dilemma is options but if cooled seats are your main criteria, test them out first since cooled seats on several Lexus models (I know as a fact, the latest ES and my RX) are very weak and nearly useless... this can sway you to an F-Sport model perhaps...

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-15-13, 05:55 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

From what you share about your driving background/preferences here, sounds like a 250 non f sport might be the car for you.
Old 10-16-13, 01:43 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The IS250 is by no means a slow car. It is faster than your average car.
Old 10-16-13, 06:05 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

From your past vehicles I'd say get the 250 but the 350 is a different car. Puts a smile on your face. Just not as big as the ISF would
Old 10-16-13, 06:52 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a 2014 IS 250 and the power is great for around town - taking the car to open track nights or pushing it on winding canyon roads would be fun, but AWD is a must have feature for me for winter. I'm guessing you can't have as much fun on the track with AWD as you would RWD - do you think it's worth getting the 350 with AWD? Any of you with the 250 have regrets for not going with the more powerful 350? Are the 350's harder to come by (I've only seen 250's at my local dealer)?
You should go with 250 AWD Non F Sport.
Old 10-16-13, 07:55 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like corrado said, cooled seats are sometimes useless. Definitely try them out and see if you can feel the difference at all. I've had loaner ES's where the cooled seats, even on their max setting, aren't noticeable at all.
Old 10-16-13, 08:02 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carderoni
Like corrado said, cooled seats are sometimes useless. Definitely try them out and see if you can feel the difference at all. I've had loaner ES's where the cooled seats, even on their max setting, aren't noticeable at all.
When I was purchasing my car, dealer had the 3IS luxury model on the demo room and I tried the cooled seats and it worked very well. It will definitely help during hot summer days!

Quick Reply: AWD is a must - is it worth getting the 350?