IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is250 f-sport only worth 32,500?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 06:54 PM
Vulaj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is250 f-sport only worth 32,500?

So I paid out the door for a Lexus is250 f-sport with a sticker price of 41,300 out the door for 39,400 ...that's with tax so really I paid 36,400 give or take a few dollars.

I am not satisfied with the 250 to be quite honest and went to Infiniti to take a look at the q50 for the hell of it. They appraised my car to be 32,500 for trade in with 700 miles.!! I'm like are you crazy? I walked out and I guess I'm going to try and sell it privately, but come on 6 grand gone In 2 weeks because I'm not satisfied is ridiculous...i would rather take my is250 and actually drive it!!

Thoughts? Options? What else can I do to minimize the damage I have already done to the bank? don't hate on me I'm already depressed for spending 40k on a car I'm not that pleased with!!
Old 10-14-13, 06:56 PM
Vulaj
Driver

Might I add I am not pleased because I didn't get navigation and power tilting steering as well as other small options that I wish I would have gotten
Old 10-14-13, 07:01 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealers and buyers remorse are like crack to Apple Jack.

- sell it private party. The fact a buyer doesn't have to pay sales tax (I guess depending on state law) may make your unit an attractive sale.

- depreciation is at its worst the closer you are to your purchase date on a new unit.

- mitigate your loss by being patient in the sales process. The buyer for your unit at your price is out there, you have to find them.
Old 10-14-13, 07:01 PM
Jlesz
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You will take a hit now and you will take a hit when you wait and trade so it doesn't matter. That's why you don't impulse buy unless you have test driven and got to play with the car and it's features
Old 10-14-13, 07:04 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which part do you live ? Well, thats how it is when you take your car for a trade in and Lexus dealer probably can give you better deal. If you meet the nice sale person than you can get it better $.
Old 10-14-13, 07:12 PM
RaysurX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vulaj
So I paid out the door for a Lexus is250 f-sport with a sticker price of 41,300 out the door for 39,400 ...that's with tax so really I paid 36,400 give or take a few dollars.

I am not satisfied with the 250 to be quite honest and went to Infiniti to take a look at the q50 for the hell of it. They appraised my car to be 32,500 for trade in with 700 miles.!! I'm like are you crazy? I walked out and I guess I'm going to try and sell it privately, but come on 6 grand gone In 2 weeks because I'm not satisfied is ridiculous...i would rather take my is250 and actually drive it!!

Thoughts? Options? What else can I do to minimize the damage I have already done to the bank? don't hate on me I'm already depressed for spending 40k on a car I'm not that pleased with!!
The six grand or more you might eat is on YOU. If you haven't heard the ol "once your drive it off the lot it depreciates" cliche....then you've just learned a lesson. I don't know you nor do I have any reason to be a jerk, so take my opinion as you wil....your perspective of changing your mind about getting rid of a $30k+ car after 700 miles is irresponsible and somewhat reckless. It's fine if you change your mind on a pair of shoes but it's a diff story on a car. Plus, the dealer is low balling you because they need and want to make money off your car and buyers remorse. You have every right to change your mind, but don't expect it to be painless on purchases such as this, nor should you expect too much sympathy from those who may be scraping by just to someday get or drive their current dream car.

Last edited by RaysurX; 10-14-13 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 07:12 PM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Vulaj, take the car to Lexus of Pembroke Pines and ask for Richard Monivis let him know Jason Fonseca sent you. I highly recommend him as possibly the best sales associate ever. You are not the first person to be disappointed with there 250. I was at lexus of north miami and saw a used 250 owner returned it within a month as well and took a 350. See what they can do and keep us posted Good Luck!
Old 10-14-13, 07:31 PM
Vulaj
Driver

Originally Posted by Stitch626
Vulaj, take the car to Lexus of Pembroke Pines and ask for Richard Monivis let him know Jason Fonseca sent you. I highly recommend him as possibly the best sales associate ever. You are not the first person to be disappointed with there 250. I was at lexus of north miami and saw a used 250 owner returned it within a month as well and took a 350. See what they can do and keep us posted Good Luck!
Thanks!!

I mean if I could swap it for a luxury 250 maybe is keep it or a 350 but to waste 5 grand for nothing funk that thanks for the help guys I need it lol
Old 10-14-13, 07:50 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting, yet another dissatisfied IS250 owner! Why don't you trade for IS350 RWD with Nav and VGRS? Why Infinity Q50?
Old 10-14-13, 07:51 PM
Vulaj
Driver

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Interesting, yet another dissatisfied IS250 owner! Why don't you trade for IS350 RWD with Nav and VGRS? Why Infinity Q50?
I mean if I could just trade in my f -sport for the one with nav and vgrs then I would be happy :/ q50 has a bit more room and the multi media interface feels way better to me for some reason
Old 10-14-13, 08:04 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I mean if I could just trade in my f -sport for the one with nav and vgrs then I would be happy :/ q50 has a bit more room and the multi media interface feels way better to me for some reason
What was your rationale to go with IS250 in the first place? Why didn't you buy the loaded IS350 F Sport?
Old 10-14-13, 08:22 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked kbb.com and edmunds.com to get a "true market value" for your car to see how far off $32,500 really is. Unfortunately, neither website is listing 2014 vehicles. You might want to take it to Car Max and get a cash value appraisal from them.

The car isn't really worth $32,500 with only 700 miles on it. The problem is that you don't have an efficient way to sell it and get the best price the way that dealers do. You'll get the most from a private party sale. With all the people waiting on cars to arrive from Japan, you might even find someone on Club Lexus willing to buy your car from you.

The next best alternative is to sign a lease on the 2014 IS you really want and roll your loss into the payment. The payment will be a little higher, but you won't be upside down after the lease is up. The dealer you originally bought from will probably make you the best deal (better than Infiniti) because they'll be able to sell your car pretty easily. And they're making a profit from you twice.
Old 10-14-13, 08:46 PM
Vulaj
Driver

Originally Posted by SonyHome
What was your rationale to go with IS250 in the first place? Why didn't you buy the loaded IS350 F Sport?
I'm losing sleep over this and can't stop thinking about it :/ unfortunately I decided to pick the Lexus is 250 f-sport because I was all about reliability and was going to purchase a 2011 GS for 35k when I could purchase a new Lexus for 40 I was like shoot why not?? I originally only wanted the GS but the old body style was killing me until I saw the new is sitting there and I fell in love with it..I fell in love with the look of the interior and the exterior. Not only one week later I notice the multimedia interface is just awful ;/ especially without the navigation. I noticed the bucket seats were really something I don't want to be with for the next 6-7 years..I came from a 300c with a lot of room and wanted a complete change and there ya go it was a complete and utter change lol..

Like I said it's really getting to me I'm not loaded to not worry about losing 5 grand I just wish I can erase the past two weeks and search for a car the right way and actually test drive others and not one car lol. Blah all I can say is blah
Old 10-14-13, 10:52 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seriously, dont think about it too much man.. how old are you? from the way you sound youre probably in your early to mid 20s.. some guys @ your age can only afford civics, scions or BRZ (not saying those are bad cars but..). you have a luxurius lexus that may not have all the bells and whistles but those come with a price, your car is still is a great car. reading up on these forums can also give you the "want more" and "never satisfied" syndrome so i'd say give it a rest and just enjoy your car. The grass is not always greener on the other side...

Save that 5-6k and enjoy your purchase!
Old 10-14-13, 11:55 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I'm losing sleep over this and can't stop thinking about it :/ unfortunately I decided to pick the Lexus is 250 f-sport because I was all about reliability and was going to purchase a 2011 GS for 35k when I could purchase a new Lexus for 40 I was like shoot why not?? I originally only wanted the GS but the old body style was killing me until I saw the new is sitting there and I fell in love with it..I fell in love with the look of the interior and the exterior. Not only one week later I notice the multimedia interface is just awful ;/ especially without the navigation. I noticed the bucket seats were really something I don't want to be with for the next 6-7 years..I came from a 300c with a lot of room and wanted a complete change and there ya go it was a complete and utter change lol..

Like I said it's really getting to me I'm not loaded to not worry about losing 5 grand I just wish I can erase the past two weeks and search for a car the right way and actually test drive others and not one car lol. Blah all I can say is blah
All the things you liked about the new IS are still there. Don't let few minor things distract you from the fact you have one of the hottest cars for 2014.

Few short comings could be overcome through after market options probably for a lot less than $6k.

Did you check with the dealer to see if they can install factory navigation in to your car?

Quick Reply: Is250 f-sport only worth 32,500?