IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Old 10-13-13, 07:33 PM
ras1325
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

I took delivery 11 days ago on an AWD 350 F-Sport and it appears the battery is already dead. I drove it a few times yesterday with no problems but when I tried to start it tonight there was a harsh repeated clicking noise coming from the instrument cluster then everything went dark. The BSM lights on the mirror were flashing and the red light next to the parking gear was on for a minute or two. Those lights eventually went off and now nothing is illuminated and pressing the start button doesn't do anything.

Both keys were in the house all night, at least 100 feet away from the car, all doors were closed fully and none of the interior light buttons were in the on position.

From searching all forums it seems like this has happened multiple times with GS owners. Anyone with a 3IS have this problem yet? I can't check the battery voltage until tomorrow.

Ironically before I tried to start it tonight I was looking into purchasing HID powerhouse bulbs for the interior because I grabbed something out of the car earlier and thought they were too dim. Looking at the comparison photos the stock lights look pretty dim anyway so I'm not sure if they were like that because the battery was drained or if they are just like that.
Old 10-13-13, 07:35 PM
enoren
Pole Position

I haven't heard of this happening yet with the 3IS. What was the explanation for the GS?
Old 10-13-13, 07:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The cars sit a lot, especially on the boat ride over and then on the lot. I wouldnt worry about it. a bit of a hassle but Im sure your lexus dealer will replace it for free
Old 10-13-13, 08:06 PM
RaysurX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ras1325
I took delivery 11 days ago on an AWD 350 F-Sport and it appears the battery is already dead. I drove it a few times yesterday with no problems but when I tried to start it tonight there was a harsh repeated clicking noise coming from the instrument cluster then everything went dark. The BSM lights on the mirror were flashing and the red light next to the parking gear was on for a minute or two. Those lights eventually went off and now nothing is illuminated and pressing the start button doesn't do anything.

Both keys were in the house all night, at least 100 feet away from the car, all doors were closed fully and none of the interior light buttons were in the on position.

From searching all forums it seems like this has happened multiple times with GS owners. Anyone with a 3IS have this problem yet? I can't check the battery voltage until tomorrow.

Ironically before I tried to start it tonight I was looking into purchasing HID powerhouse bulbs for the interior because I grabbed something out of the car earlier and thought they were too dim. Looking at the comparison photos the stock lights look pretty dim anyway so I'm not sure if they were like that because the battery was drained or if they are just like that.
Probably just a defective cell or cell(s) in your battery. Rapidly clicking dash during attempted start is indicative of not enough power to start car (battery issue). While its a bad start on your new ownership, I wouldn't be too worried....however when the dealer replaces your battery and it happens again....THEN start to be concerned.
Old 10-13-13, 11:03 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

really weird but this happened twice on my wife's Nissan Murano as well after only 1k miles... had to jumpstart once, brought into dealer and there was no issues. They checked battery / cell / starter and no issues and hasnt happened since (it was a 2011 Murano and she has 40+k miles on it now)

coincidentally i overheard a salesman talking while i was in lexus about her new IS battery being dead while she was out and had to call roadside assistance... hope its a non-issue!
Old 10-14-13, 12:54 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He drove 600 miles so the battery should have been charged bh the alternator.

Hopefully just a bad battery and not the electricals draining the battery.
Old 10-14-13, 02:14 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Can't say I am too surprised had 4 batteries die in the first two years of owning my Toyota Camry between 2008 and 2010. The last one they gave me has lasted the last 3 years.
Old 10-14-13, 04:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

I've heard more and more stories of batteries being defective or dying out prematurely across multiple brands on new cars. My neighbor's new Odyssey had it replaced weeks after and I also needed my new RX boosted weeks after ownership (but still original battery) after only listening to the radio for about 20 minutes without the car on while I was cleaning it. Lesson learned, today's cars have so many electronics and sensors running even without the key in proximity that prudence requires you to start your car if you want to use any of the interior functions.

The other thing is that if you have too many short trips (~5 mins or less) to the corner store as my wife had with the RX, that does not help recharge the battery...
Old 10-14-13, 05:08 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Forgot to add my wife's Toyota Highlander had 2 batteries die in the first year.
Old 10-14-13, 11:02 AM
ras1325
Driver School Candidate

I was able to jump it and everything else seems ok. I'm taking it in tomorrow to tell them I don't just want it checked and recharged, I want a new battery.
Old 10-14-13, 11:10 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

^^ Let us know how that goes. . Curious to see how Lexus is with customer service for new vehicles.
Old 10-14-13, 11:28 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ras1325
I was able to jump it and everything else seems ok. I'm taking it in tomorrow to tell them I don't just want it checked and recharged, I want a new battery.
They should give you a new battery without any fighting with them. Toyota did that for us and Lexus customer service is supposed to be better.
Old 10-14-13, 04:34 PM
ras1325
Driver School Candidate

This is the 10th car my family has bought from the same dealership so they never hassle me on stuff like this. I'm not really worried about it, it's just annoying to have to deal with.
Old 10-15-13, 08:34 AM
ras1325
Driver School Candidate

As expected, they tested the battery and said it was fine. They suggested that I turned the car off before putting it in park, which would drain the battery quickly. I guess there's a small chance I did this, but I park on a slight hill in my driveway and always put it in park, then the e-brake, then turn it off.

They're keeping it for 24 hours to monitor the battery. If nothing else at least they're getting it inspected for me while I wait.
Old 10-15-13, 08:40 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would the battery drain quicker when u turn the car off in park?

Turning the car off in drive leaves all the the electronics on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)