IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 03:38 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
Where's the dealer in Florida (just the city, not the name please)?
Too bad I didn't know this earlier, I would have suggested you go to the Tampa dealer. The Tampa Bay area dealers are all owned by the same company so it doesn't really matter which one you go to, but Tampa has it all over Clearwater when it comes to knowing what they are doing. And the dealership is much, much nicer too!
To make it even worse, I bought this car from the Clearwater dealer. Figured I'd be taken care of.

Now I have to go start up a fight with Lexus corporate and the Jacksonville dealer.

On a side note, I got an extended warranty when I bought this car as a CPO. 100k or 4 years. I'm guessing I'm still covered if I can't get this resolved by 50k miles, right?
Old 06-09-16, 03:51 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
On a side note, I got an extended warranty when I bought this car as a CPO. 100k or 4 years. I'm guessing I'm still covered if I can't get this resolved by 50k miles, right?
I'm not familiar with the terms of the CPO extended warranty, but if you file a complaint with Corporate now about the problem (at < 4 years, 48K miles) I would think you are safe regarding warranty coverage, CPO or not. When you call Corporate be sure to be polite, explain your frustration, point Corporate to this thread, tell them about going the extra mile to have the selling dealer take care of the problem, and let them know that the geographically closest dealer "won't take care of you". The word 'disappointed' works better with Corporate than "mad" or "upset". Good luck!
Old 06-09-16, 09:37 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I would seriously take a break from complaining here, call corporate tomorrow and get them on it . That way you won't have to waste your time next time you go to the dealer.

In my case, the service advisor told me they knew exactly what I was talking about when I brought up gateway ecu and that corp was aware of the issue.

My invoice stated that they tested the ecu and found a .2A draw with the vehicle turned off. Took a day to order a replacement and swap.

In case anyone was wondering, I dealt with Cherry Hill Lexus. Btw, the NX200T is pretty decent.

Last edited by evident; 06-10-16 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-14-16, 07:00 AM
AlexTheMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the battery replaced 6 months ago. It was totally dead after just sitting for 2 days in my garage. Dealer just replaced the battery. Happened again yesterday. Towed the car to the dealer. Will see if they will replace ECU this time.
Old 06-14-16, 07:44 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evident
I would seriously take a break from complaining here, call corporate tomorrow and get them on it . That way you won't have to waste your time next time you go to the dealer.

In my case, the service advisor told me they knew exactly what I was talking about when I brought up gateway ecu and that corp was aware of the issue.

My invoice stated that they tested the ecu and found a .2A draw with the vehicle turned off. Took a day to order a replacement and swap.

In case anyone was wondering, I dealt with Cherry Hill Lexus. Btw, the NX200T is pretty decent.
So the plot thickens. I called corporate and explained everything up till now. They called the nearest dealer, in Jacksonville, Fl, and were met with the same crap I was met with.

Stated they'll need several days to diagnose the problem (claim they've never heard of it) and that no matter what, no loaner for me since I didn't buy from them. I'd have to drive it to them, rent my own dang car, and then drive home waiting for their answer. Then I'll drive back and pick up the car regardless of what they found. (Won't do any work if nothing is found) Will have to miss at least two days of work to fix such a stupid issue. That's quite a bit of value lost for me and tricky to plan work around.

Needless to say, I'm pretty irate. Lexus USA is escalating this to a case manager to figure out how to fix this for me.

I hate infinity but they have a dealer in my town. I'd hate to trade this in just so I can have a dealer be able to honor the dang warranty.

So we'll see how good Lexus USA is.
Old 06-14-16, 08:56 PM
BED72055
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 IS 350 F Sport - I did not use my car for 24 hours and the battery was dead when I went to start it a few hours ago. I did not leave any doors open or lights on. Could the navigation problem drain the battery if the car is unused for a more than a day? I am recharging the battery now, disconnected the negative side. I checked the voltage, it was down to 4.5 volts, the battery appears to be the original one from 2014. Any advice for this first time Lexus owner?
Old 06-15-16, 12:21 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BED72055
2014 IS 350 F Sport - I did not use my car for 24 hours and the battery was dead when I went to start it a few hours ago. I did not leave any doors open or lights on. Could the navigation problem drain the battery if the car is unused for a more than a day? I am recharging the battery now, disconnected the negative side. I checked the voltage, it was down to 4.5 volts, the battery appears to be the original one from 2014. Any advice for this first time Lexus owner?
Don't recharge the battery and get it towed to dealer, let them diagnose it, otherwise they're likely to accuse you for leaving the lights on or not driving the car. The 2014 IS appears to be plagued with battery drain issue. Most of us struggle dealing with the dealers on getting a resolution cause there's no tsb for this issue. It is believed that gateway ecu replacement is the resolution for most cases.
Old 06-15-16, 03:00 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
Don't recharge the battery and get it towed to dealer, let them diagnose it,
+1 - for any starting problem on a Lexus with "Roadside Assistance" (and under warranty) this is the smart thing to do.

It is believed that gateway ecu replacement is the resolution for most cases.
24 hours to drain the battery down to 4.5V would require a pretty hefty current draw. Most of the reports I've seen say the Gateway ECU draws about .2 Amps when in failure mode. So you could have something else going on.

Last edited by LeapFrog; 06-15-16 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 04:37 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

+1 - for any starting problem on a Lexus with "Roadside Assistance" (and under warranty) this is the smart thing to do.

24 hours to drain the battery down to 4.5V would require a pretty hefty current draw. Most of the reports I've seen say the Gateway ECU draws about .2 Amps when in failure mode. So you could have something else going on.
The problem is that I have to get to work. Can't have the car towed 2.5hrs to the nearest dealer. Especially with this dealer refusing to help me out with a loaner since I didn't buy from him.

If you have a dealer in your town, then this makes sense. For those of us in a town far away, we are stuck. Funny thing is, is that there are a lot of people driving Lexus in my town. No clue what they are doing.
Old 06-15-16, 05:19 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't recharge the battery and get it towed to dealer, let them diagnose it, otherwise they're likely to accuse you for leaving the lights on or not driving the car. The 2014 IS appears to be plagued with battery drain issue. Most of us struggle dealing with the dealers on getting a resolution cause there's no tsb for this issue. It is believed that gateway ecu replacement is the resolution for most cases.
Agreed as it is my personal experience with my 14' IS as well. If the problem turns up late and the original battery is actually beaten up, changing the battery and the Gateway ECU is the solution.

The Gateway ECU is inside the glove box. For those who are concerned about dealership scratching things, especially the trims, cover the area up before they start.
Old 06-15-16, 08:30 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

The Gateway ECU has sporadic minor AMP draws, longer term this damages the battery cells because it is depleting the power faster then your alternator can charge back into the battery. Both times my car died, they had to replace my battery because the battery cells were beyond recovery.
Old 06-15-16, 08:31 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AndyL

Agreed as it is my personal experience with my 14' IS as well. If the problem turns up late and the original battery is actually beaten up, changing the battery and the Gateway ECU is the solution.

The Gateway ECU is inside the glove box. For those who are concerned about dealership scratching things, especially the trims, cover the area up before they start.
Same experience as me for the battery.
Old 06-17-16, 09:17 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
So the plot thickens. I called corporate and explained everything up till now. They called the nearest dealer, in Jacksonville, Fl, and were met with the same crap I was met with.

Stated they'll need several days to diagnose the problem (claim they've never heard of it) and that no matter what, no loaner for me since I didn't buy from them. I'd have to drive it to them, rent my own dang car, and then drive home waiting for their answer. Then I'll drive back and pick up the car regardless of what they found. (Won't do any work if nothing is found) Will have to miss at least two days of work to fix such a stupid issue. That's quite a bit of value lost for me and tricky to plan work around.

Needless to say, I'm pretty irate. Lexus USA is escalating this to a case manager to figure out how to fix this for me.

I hate infinity but they have a dealer in my town. I'd hate to trade this in just so I can have a dealer be able to honor the dang warranty.

So we'll see how good Lexus USA is.
dealer refusing to help you or offer you a tow or loaner because you didn't buy from them is complete BS if you're under warranty.

I've had no dealings w/ the two lexus dealerships that I take my cars to for state inspections, and recalls, and i ALWAYS get loaners. I purchased my IS from a private party 3 states away. Not even a question of where the hell I bought my vehicle! Even when i take my 07 RX w/ 105K miles in to the dealer I didnt' purchase from, i still get a loaner. I guess the only thing i can say is you're dealing with a really *****ty dealership.

it doesn't even make sense when i play devil's advocate. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I always thought that in the case of recalls / or when the car is under warranty, the bill of the loaner and parts is footed to lexus corporate so why should this particular dealership care anyways, unless if they personally are trying to screw you over.

I would raise a stink on social media, including yelp about that dealership.
Hopefully corporate will make it right for you.

Last edited by evident; 06-17-16 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 09:34 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Lexus of Jacksonville was sold last year to Fields Auto Group. I wonder how much of the poor treatment is the result of the new Jacksonville dealership owner just not caring.

http://jacksonville.com/autos/2015-1...lds-auto-group

"Fields operates 38 franchises at 25 locations, from Alfa Romeo and Bentley to Volkswagen and Volvo. Seventeen of those franchises are in Florida, with others in Illinois, Wisconsin and North Carolina. Locally, Fields operates a Jaguar and Land Rover dealership at 11211 Atlantic Blvd. in Jacksonville, as well as a Cadillac operation at 7999 Blanding Blvd. It also has a Cadillac dealership at 375 Outlet Mall Blvd. in St. Augustine. Fields began in 1971 with one Cadillac dealership in Evanston, Ill.

According to property appraiser records, Brumos Automotive owns nine properties in Jacksonville, with the total assessed value of roughly $19 million. Those include Mercedes-Benzes dealerships at 10231 Atlantic Blvd. and 7018 Blanding Blvd.; Brumos Porsche at 10100 Atlantic Blvd.; and Brumos Lexus of Jacksonville at 10259 Atlantic Blvd.; and another Lexus operation at 7040 Blanding Blvd. Brumos also sells Sprinter vans at 10231 Atlantic Blvd., Smart cars at 7018 Blanding Blvd., and operates a collision center at 56 Jackson Road."

Last edited by LeapFrog; 06-17-16 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Correct Lexus dealership name
Old 06-17-16, 10:53 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evident
dealer refusing to help you or offer you a tow or loaner because you didn't buy from them is complete BS if you're under warranty.

I've had no dealings w/ the two lexus dealerships that I take my cars to for state inspections, and recalls, and i ALWAYS get loaners. I purchased my IS from a private party 3 states away. Not even a question of where the hell I bought my vehicle! Even when i take my 07 RX w/ 105K miles in to the dealer I didnt' purchase from, i still get a loaner. I guess the only thing i can say is you're dealing with a really *****ty dealership.

it doesn't even make sense when i play devil's advocate. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I always thought that in the case of recalls / or when the car is under warranty, the bill of the loaner and parts is footed to lexus corporate so why should this particular dealership care anyways, unless if they personally are trying to screw you over.

I would raise a stink on social media, including yelp about that dealership.
Hopefully corporate will make it right for you.
Jacksonville of Lexus was sold last year to Fields Auto Group. I wonder how much of the poor treatment is the result of the new Jacksonville dealership owner just not caring.

http://jacksonville.com/autos/2015-1...lds-auto-group

"Fields operates 38 franchises at 25 locations, from Alfa Romeo and Bentley to Volkswagen and Volvo. Seventeen of those franchises are in Florida, with others in Illinois, Wisconsin and North Carolina. Locally, Fields operates a Jaguar and Land Rover dealership at 11211 Atlantic Blvd. in Jacksonville, as well as a Cadillac operation at 7999 Blanding Blvd. It also has a Cadillac dealership at 375 Outlet Mall Blvd. in St. Augustine. Fields began in 1971 with one Cadillac dealership in Evanston, Ill.

According to property appraiser records, Brumos Automotive owns nine properties in Jacksonville, with the total assessed value of roughly $19 million. Those include Mercedes-Benzes dealerships at 10231 Atlantic Blvd. and 7018 Blanding Blvd.; Brumos Porsche at 10100 Atlantic Blvd.; and Brumos Lexus of Jacksonville at 10259 Atlantic Blvd.; and another Lexus operation at 7040 Blanding Blvd. Brumos also sells Sprinter vans at 10231 Atlantic Blvd., Smart cars at 7018 Blanding Blvd., and operates a collision center at 56 Jackson Road."
The dealer that I bought from, and took the car to, was also sold out, to AutoNation or something. I don't understand why Lexus would work with such dbag dealers?

Never heard from the Lexus case manager. Or at least they never left a message yesterday like they said they would. I'll have to call and get pissy again, I guess.

Time to scotch up and call.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)