IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 07:12 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@AndyL The battery is rated at a nominal CCA but will show a much higher reading at normal temperature. A fully charged battery measured at -20C should provide the rated amps to start the car.
Old 05-09-16, 09:10 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
@AndyL The battery is rated at a nominal CCA but will show a much higher reading at normal temperature. A fully charged battery measured at -20C should provide the rated amps to start the car.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know that. Cool stuff.
Old 05-18-16, 04:36 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well. I had an unpleasant experience this week. Stuck at work for 2hrs waiting for someone to show up with a jumper cable. The battery went completely dead. I had my first battery replaced about 1.5yrs ago. See post #307.

What's interesting this time around is that when the car started it cycled thru a bunch of scary error messages. One of which I was not able to take because it came up while I was in the middle of driving was something along the line of "Irregularity in voltage detected. Steering wheel my become hard". Sure enough. I was on the highway and as soon as I slowed down on the off ramp the steering wheel started losing power steering. It was like driving a beater with no power steering. SCARY.

Dropped the car off at the dealer this morning. Same generic message. There was a bad batch of batteries. This one is for sure a good one. I don't know what else to do at this point. I love the car, minus the cup holders. But this is not a Lexus. If I had an Audi I would expect this. I bought a Lexus because I want to avoid electrical nightmare with the German.

Last edited by cFoo; 05-18-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 10:03 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by cFoo
Well. I had an unpleasant experience this week. Stuck at work for 2hrs waiting for someone to show up with a jumper cable. The battery went completely dead. I had my first battery replaced about 1.5yrs ago. See post #307.

What's interesting this time around is that when the car started it cycled thru a bunch of scary error messages. One of which I was not able to take because it came up while I was in the middle of driving was something along the line of "Irregularity in voltage detected. Steering wheel my become hard". Sure enough. I was on the highway and as soon as I slowed down on the off ramp the steering wheel started losing power steering. It was like driving a beater with no power steering. SCARY.

Dropped the car off at the dealer this morning. Same generic message. There was a bad batch of batteries. This one is for sure a good one. I don't know what else to do at this point. I love the car, minus the cup holders. But this is not a Lexus. If I had an Audi I would expect this. I bought a Lexus because I want to avoid electrical nightmare with the German.
Is this a problem with certain model years? It makes me hesitant to buy a 2017 IS 350 because of this battery issue. I can't believe it has been going on for so long.
Old 05-19-16, 10:37 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Is this a problem with certain model years? It makes me hesitant to buy a 2017 IS 350 because of this battery issue. I can't believe it has been going on for so long.
It's only a problem on the 14's.

However my 14 hasn't experienced this issue yet. If it does i hope it happens soon while it's under warranty.

I wouldn't hesitate on buying a 17 though, or a 14 for that matter
Old 05-19-16, 10:49 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't think it's related to battery issue. Your car was running on gas while driving why would losing power steering had to do with battery?
Old 05-19-16, 10:55 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the car, minus the cup holders.
This made me chuckle lol

For what it is worth, 15 checking in with about 15000 on the odo, no battery issues so far (knock on wood)
Old 05-19-16, 10:05 PM
cFoo
Driver

Originally Posted by dojoman
I don't think it's related to battery issue. Your car was running on gas while driving why would losing power steering had to do with battery?
It's probably because of the power steering. I'll have to do more research but I'm fairly sure the power steering on the F sport is regulated via an electromagnet of some sort to adjust the response between normal and S+. When the battery is messed up the power can't be regulated. The info system also rebooted itself about 3 times during the 30 min drive home.

See post #148. I'm not the only one reporting steering issues with a dead battery!

I'll give this new battery a try and hope that the old batch is the problem like they said. Otherwise, the next one will be aftermarket.

The thing that annoys me is that there is no prewarning. If you're on a road trip and it happens you'll get screwed pretty hard. I'm now packing a jumper cable in the car. Never thought I'll ever have to do that with a new Lexus.

Last edited by cFoo; 05-19-16 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 07:48 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

It's probably because of the power steering. I'll have to do more research but I'm fairly sure the power steering on the F sport is regulated via an electromagnet of some sort to adjust the response between normal and S+. When the battery is messed up the power can't be regulated. The info system also rebooted itself about 3 times during the 30 min drive home.

See post #148. I'm not the only one reporting steering issues with a dead battery!

I'll give this new battery a try and hope that the old batch is the problem like they said. Otherwise, the next one will be aftermarket.

The thing that annoys me is that there is no prewarning. If you're on a road trip and it happens you'll get screwed pretty hard. I'm now packing a jumper cable in the car. Never thought I'll ever have to do that with a new Lexus.
If it is battery related then that sounds pretty scary. I got a new battery in August because of battery defect and I have seen some glitches when starting car. Went to the dealer to check the battery and charger it looks good, but I'm afraid it will come back again with a vengeance. I wonder how many people have claimed lemon law.
Old 05-20-16, 08:35 AM
cFoo
Driver

I usually don't care too much but I just came back from a weekend road trip where we drove through mountainous roads and the traffic flow around 80-90miles/hr reaching the summit of around 4,000 feet and then down so you can imagine the number of high speed corners you have to negotiate.

I don't quite fully understand the F sport steering mechanism yet but if the battery dies I would just call a tow truck and take it to the dealer. I'm no longer comfortable driving it with a dead battery.
Old 05-22-16, 11:06 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had this happen to me for the second time. Twice in one year. I drive this car almost every day and drive 32 miles ONE WAY.

Both times, Roadside assistance (AAA) says that the battery checks out...

I can't get any of the dealers near me to call me back or email me back...EVER.

Closest dealer is 2.5 hours away. By the time I drive there and back, as well as burn my vacation time to do it, I might as well just buy a new battery and hope for the best. I was told that the dealer would come pick my car up, leave me a loaner, and then take the car back...Can't even get them to call me back. Maybe its just the Florida dealers?

The most ironic thing is that THIS car has been my most UNRELIABLE car ever! Hell, my scooters were more reliable! Most comfortable car, by far, but most unreliable.

Any tips for getting a dealer to take you seriously? Maybe I should call them and claim I want to trade up for the RCF?
Old 05-23-16, 10:29 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
Just had this happen to me for the second time. Twice in one year. I drive this car almost every day and drive 32 miles ONE WAY.

Both times, Roadside assistance (AAA) says that the battery checks out...

I can't get any of the dealers near me to call me back or email me back...EVER.

Closest dealer is 2.5 hours away. By the time I drive there and back, as well as burn my vacation time to do it, I might as well just buy a new battery and hope for the best. I was told that the dealer would come pick my car up, leave me a loaner, and then take the car back...Can't even get them to call me back. Maybe its just the Florida dealers?

The most ironic thing is that THIS car has been my most UNRELIABLE car ever! Hell, my scooters were more reliable! Most comfortable car, by far, but most unreliable.

Any tips for getting a dealer to take you seriously? Maybe I should call them and claim I want to trade up for the RCF?
WOW, and this is why I'm scared to purchase this vehicle even a 2017, I never thought I'd say that for any Lexus vehicles as they are known to be reliable. Why can't they just fix this issue?
Old 05-23-16, 10:39 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised that Roadside Assistance would check the battery - where I live the only services they provide are jump-starts, spare tire changes, and flatbed towing. Next time the car won't start call Roadside Assistance and have them tow it to the dealer. When the vehicle shows up on the dealer's lot, they will pay attention. (Don't forget to ask Roadside Assistance to reimburse you for the rental car that you will need to get to and from work).
Old 05-23-16, 11:15 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No one nearby will touch me since I didn't buy from them. Closest one to me is 170mi one way. The dealer I bought from is too far away to do a pick up they said. (300mi one way)

Turns out that my company is sending me to a conference near the dealer that I bought from soon. They are going to set everything up and be ready for me. Let's hope they find and fix something. I'll be down there for 3 days. That ought to be plenty of time. I'm going to have them check everything else that I can think of while I'm at it. Got to make this trip count, as I'm an Engineer and can't just take off work whenever my car won't start. (Already getting made fun of for having the most reliable car brand be so unreliable)

Matt
Old 05-23-16, 11:36 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

No one nearby will touch me since I didn't buy from them.
I think Lexus Corporate would love to know that. I've never had a problem taking my car to the nearest servicing dealer, regardless of where I was at the time the problem occurred. In fact, one time Lexus paid for a $1200 flatbed tow because the nearest dealer was 200 miles away. And it wasn't the dealer I bought from.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)