IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Old 01-06-16, 11:12 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Dark9t316, the dealership is Lexus of Richmond Hill in Canada where their service department is superb. PM'd you for more details of my experience with the battery drain.
Thanks Andy, i responded to your PM. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-07-16, 06:11 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
Thanks Andy, i responded to your PM. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks for your PM. I hope your issue gets resolved soon as this is really a hassle that prevents you from enjoying the 3IS. As per my suggestion of getting a jump starter, make sure you read the instructions thoroughly. When the battery voltage is too low and you have to use some manual overriding (for some jumpstarter like mine), you have to make sure you do exactly what is detailed in the instruction as jumpstarter battery has very high current output. (Mind has 400A max and some even has 4000A) Don't buy cheap jumpstarter battery. In my case, I chose NOCO GB30 because it has a good price point and yet it is rugged with IP65 waterproofing. Also it could charge other devices and be a LED flashlight/emergency light. (GB30 seems to be not on their web site anymore but they have GB20 and other models but I think GB40 is the upgraded model of GB30 as it has the same beefier clamps but with a higher max current of 1000A)

Last edited by AndyL; 01-07-16 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-07-16, 05:06 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Thanks Andy, the GB30 looks pretty good, so i might pick one up in the near term.

Update: i spoke to my Lexus Corporate case manager, told him about how Lexus of Richmond Hill in Canada has been replacing gateway ECU as possible solution, but in response, i was told that it is not their Corporate process to go reach out to dealerships to see what they are doing, so if Lexus Corporate tech team does not recommend ECU replacement, then i won't get one. However, if i wanted, i can try other dealerships to see if they offer ECU replacement??? Talk about decentralized issue tracking and solution system... it sounds like a 1 way resolution feedback process/knowledge base, from Corporate to dealerships, but not the other way around. The case manager is going to talk to my dealer Magnussen Lexus to make sure they spoke to their Lexus Corporate technical team, and will get back to me no later than COB next wednesday. Unfortunately they are returning my car today with nothing more than a new battery. When i mentioned the lemon law, the case manager said i am welcomed to pursue that route. Unfortunately my car needs to die 2 more time before i can pursue any kind of legal action. I'm very disappointed with Lexus overall, not because the people aren't good people, but Lexus itself does not appear to have a good process for centralizing these known issues and solutions in a more collaborative manner with their dealerships. Not only did we, as the consumer pay very good money for the cars, we also have to pay for their deficiencies. I am one very unsatisfied customer at the moment.
Old 01-07-16, 05:39 PM
39RN
Driver

man... I feel for you @dark9t316. I had to deal with the no start within about 1 week after I purchased my car. There was no worse feeling than wondering if my car was going to start or not the next time I hopped in it. Good luck in your battle to get this taken care of. When I went into the dealer I fully expected to have the exact same results you are having. I was fortunate that they came right out and told me it was the ECU. I was very surprised. Funny thing is... if it is not a problem, then why did it take them a week to find one as there was no stock anywhere (at least this is what they told me).

Hope it all works out for ya.
Old 01-07-16, 06:04 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 39RN
man... I feel for you @dark9t316. I had to deal with the no start within about 1 week after I purchased my car. There was no worse feeling than wondering if my car was going to start or not the next time I hopped in it. Good luck in your battle to get this taken care of. When I went into the dealer I fully expected to have the exact same results you are having. I was fortunate that they came right out and told me it was the ECU. I was very surprised. Funny thing is... if it is not a problem, then why did it take them a week to find one as there was no stock anywhere (at least this is what they told me).

Hope it all works out for ya.
Thanks @39RN. How long ago did your problem happen, how long has it been since the ecu fix, and what dealership did you go to?

Update: Just spoke to Magnussen Lexus, they said that i should wait 1 more day to see whether Corp Lexus will consider footing the bill (if the tech team recommends) and replace the ecu. Apparently they spoke over the phone this afternoon.
Old 01-07-16, 06:46 PM
39RN
Driver

Thanks @39RN. How long ago did your problem happen, how long has it been since the ecu fix, and what dealership did you go to?

Update: Just spoke to Magnussen Lexus, they said that i should wait 1 more day to see whether Corp Lexus will consider footing the bill (if the tech team recommends) and replace the ecu. Apparently they spoke over the phone this afternoon.
I purchased the car cert used with 20K miles on it back in October. I had it two days and I was out of town in our other car and my wife calls to tell me the car will not start. Had a buddy come jump her (that didn't come out right) and it started right up fine for a couple weeks. Happened again in about a week on a Sunday night. Went back in and figured I would jump it in the morning. Started right up?? then a couple weeks later, mid November, it didn't start in the morning before work. Called lexus care to have it towed and by the time he got to me (about an hour) it fired back up. Called the dealer and told them what was going on and they got me right in. Sat there for about two hours and he came out and told me it was the Gateway ECU prior to me ever mentioning anything about it. Tossed me an ES loaner and drove that for 5/6 days till they could locate an ECU.

I went to Lexus of Dayton, prolly a little for for you!

I also went back and looked at my lexus care records and it looks like the previous owner had the car jumped a few times and the battery replaced. I have not had a single issue since it has been replaced. Fingers crossed this did the trick. They also did not replace my battery when they did the ECU for whatever that is worth.
Old 01-07-16, 07:36 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 39RN

I purchased the car cert used with 20K miles on it back in October. I had it two days and I was out of town in our other car and my wife calls to tell me the car will not start. Had a buddy come jump her (that didn't come out right) and it started right up fine for a couple weeks. Happened again in about a week on a Sunday night. Went back in and figured I would jump it in the morning. Started right up?? then a couple weeks later, mid November, it didn't start in the morning before work. Called lexus care to have it towed and by the time he got to me (about an hour) it fired back up. Called the dealer and told them what was going on and they got me right in. Sat there for about two hours and he came out and told me it was the Gateway ECU prior to me ever mentioning anything about it. Tossed me an ES loaner and drove that for 5/6 days till they could locate an ECU.

I went to Lexus of Dayton, prolly a little for for you!

I also went back and looked at my lexus care records and it looks like the previous owner had the car jumped a few times and the battery replaced. I have not had a single issue since it has been replaced. Fingers crossed this did the trick. They also did not replace my battery when they did the ECU for whatever that is worth.
Thanks, i think the battery probably doesn't need be replaced if the draining does not damage the battery, in my case, over time the cells deteriorated due to low level of power, and it was damaged and will no longer hold charge. I'm glad how great your experience was...Lexus of Dayton does seem a bit far for me, but the more we know about what dealership are implementing this solution, the less likely Lexus can pretend to be clueless.
Old 01-14-16, 08:57 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Update: i spoke to my corporate case manager yesterday, he said after consulting with their engineering and law dept, they've decided to pay for an ecu replacement out of "courtesy". This is because they are claiming nothing is wrong with my car and is blaming it on my driving habits, but is terrible in my mind. They are also claiming that they are unaware of the battery drain issue in general. I didn't see a point to argue with them at th is point, it was like arm wrestling with them to get a solution others have received. They are offering me a trickle charger which i plan to turn down because i didn't buy a car that requires one to run normally. Lexus oh Lexus you suck, maybe a class action lawsuit is required before you wake up and smell the coffee.
Old 01-30-16, 11:17 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Update: Hopefully my latest update on this thread, i just got my gateway ecu replaced. Once corporate agreed to pay for the replacement, it was smooth experience from there. I'm gonna stay hopeful that this resolves the battery drain problem!
Old 02-01-16, 07:21 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Update: Hopefully my latest update on this thread, i just got my gateway ecu replaced. Once corporate agreed to pay for the replacement, it was smooth experience from there. I'm gonna stay hopeful that this resolves the battery drain problem!
Me. too. With the gateway ECU replaced, so far the issue seems to be resolved.
Old 02-01-16, 07:25 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AndyL

Me. too. With the gateway ECU replaced, so far the issue seems to be resolved.
How long has it been since your ecu replacement?
Old 02-01-16, 10:11 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

How long has it been since your ecu replacement?
It has been a month already.
Old 02-02-16, 03:29 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Mine took 10 months before it died, it's a slow process for my car.
Old 04-10-16, 08:07 PM
markbruner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 2014 IS 350 F Sport has had dead battery half a dozen times in 2 years. Dealership (pa by Philly Mainline)says nothing wrong, you must have left something on. Bringing in again this week. I was also going to buy a new Lexus IS350 Coupe and said forget it I can't have 2 cars with dead batteries. No more Lexus for this family and will dump this one next year. We keep a 1999 Acura TL with 189,000 miles on it as a spare car and it has never failed us once. Really Lexus get it together???????
Old 04-11-16, 08:25 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Markburer, if you have records that you brought your car into dealership with the issue more than 3 times and the dealership is unable to resolve, you might be able to pursue the lemon law and get your money back. I'm no lawyer but if my car died 1 more time, that will be my next course of action. Quite frankly battery drain issue can happen to any brand, but whether the company will make this experience good (resulting in brand loyalty) or not (resulting in negative press) will be the biggest difference. I along with other folks on this forum have dealt with this issue and the latest known fix is the gateway ecu replacement. There's no guarantee it will fix the problem and some dealership will install without asking while others will be a struggle between lexus corporate and the dealers (which was my experience). You have rights as a consumer, and a $35-50k car is no small money, don't let the the companies get by without any accountability.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)