3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 06:34 AM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobbyy
mine died 3 times in the first year..
What did they do to fix it? ECU or battery or both?
Old 03-17-15, 07:55 PM
cobbyy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A2BLexus
What did they do to fix it? ECU or battery or both?
Nothing... They said the battery itself is good.. They said if it happens again next time, don't jump it and tow it in but it hasn't happened again yet..
Old 03-18-15, 06:31 AM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Interesting. You are a patient man. For myself, I was out of the car for 5 minutes with the radio on. This is the last thing I would expect from a car less than 2 years old. I understand the car has alot of gizmos running in the back but 5 minutes is just too little.

I am taking to the car to the dealer Friday, we'll see what they do.
Old 03-18-15, 10:28 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes it is easier to get a voltage meter and see what the load is on the battery. If there is a lot of drain then you might need to find out what is causing it. Otherwise, the battery may hold a charge but might not be big enough for the applications you are using it with. Half the time I feel dealerships don't know what they are talking about...
Old 03-18-15, 11:23 AM
flytldr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mec0t0
Anyone have updates regarding the ECU replacements to resolve these battery drain issues?

I have a '14 IS250 Fsport and battery was completely drained 3 times in separate occasions. Noticed that every time it happened, we had gone back to the car to get something after the car has been shutoff and locked.

No lights were left on all 3 times, and doors were unlocked and locked afterwards. Then the following day or 2, battery completely drained and had to jumper to start. Battery tested fine at the dealer and they have no clue what's causing this. I suspect this is related to ECU as others had mentioned. Hope to see TSB or recall soon.
I had the exact same issue as you.
I had my battery charged the first time it happened, then warrantied the battery on the second time it happened.
The third time, the gateway ECU was replaced. (newer part number)
So far, so good!
It should have happened by now, so looks like they got it figured out.
Old 03-18-15, 12:57 PM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by flytldr
I had the exact same issue as you.
I had my battery charged the first time it happened, then warrantied the battery on the second time it happened.
The third time, the gateway ECU was replaced. (newer part number)
So far, so good!
It should have happened by now, so looks like they got it figured out.

I see you are in Toronto as well. Which dealership did you take it to? I just booked it through Don Valley North Lexus.

Also taking it in for the USB key not reading after the car restarts & PCS light on the dash along with the battery drain. My Lexus ownership for the first month has been nothing to write home about.
Old 03-18-15, 01:51 PM
flytldr
Driver School Candidate

Erin Park Lexus took care of it for me.

I had it looked at three times, and the final time they escalated it to Lexus Canada.
The response was to replace the gateway ECU.
With that being said, they did NOT say this is a TSB or the absolute answer to the problem.They did say the part has been counter-measured with new software/programming to address this very issue.

Who knows, it may eventually come out as a TSB, but for now they're not admitting that this is an official repair for dying batteries.

I just wanted to get this info out there to help other guys suffering this major inconvenience.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-18-15, 01:57 PM
flytldr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by A2BLexus
I see you are in Toronto as well. Which dealership did you take it to? I just booked it through Don Valley North Lexus.

Also taking it in for the USB key not reading after the car restarts & PCS light on the dash along with the battery drain. My Lexus ownership for the first month has been nothing to write home about.
If I can ask, what do you mean USB key not reading? And also, when does your PCS light come on? Was it snowing the days it came on?

PM me if you want...I don't want to break the thread...sorry mods!
Old 04-04-15, 09:33 AM
mingkwong
Driver School Candidate

Even after a long drive, my 2015 IS250 battery is always lower than 12v once I shut down the engine, sometimes it was even lower than 11v, is it normal or I should have lexus to check?

Last edited by mingkwong; 04-04-15 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-05-15, 12:05 AM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

I believe the stock battery is defective. It doesn't hold charge. I upgraded to higher 750 CCA with higher reserve capacity and I never had any more issues such as a dead battery with a parked car. Also I have never experienced any more ipod error messages. I believe the weak stock battery drew too much power from alternator with each drive that the demand from the car audio was more than the alternator can generate as it got occupied charging dead or near dead stock battery.
Old 04-06-15, 11:45 AM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't read through this entire thread but I figured I would give my input with my IS350:

2014 IS350F RWD
Purchased 06/2014
Secondary vehicle (4,000 miles total)
Extended period of sitting in garage (1-3 weeks)

No battery issues since new, even in our very cold winter it was fine. No physical evidence of drained battery thus far. However, I do have a BT ODB-II sensor now, and it will read 11.6-11.8v when off, and I believe 13.8-14.2v when on (can't remember exactly the running value). Knock on wood, hopefully I wont have any issues moving forward either

Aaron
Old 04-06-15, 04:32 PM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
I haven't read through this entire thread but I figured I would give my input with my IS350:

2014 IS350F RWD
Purchased 06/2014
Secondary vehicle (4,000 miles total)
Extended period of sitting in garage (1-3 weeks)

No battery issues since new, even in our very cold winter it was fine. No physical evidence of drained battery thus far. However, I do have a BT ODB-II sensor now, and it will read 11.6-11.8v when off, and I believe 13.8-14.2v when on (can't remember exactly the running value). Knock on wood, hopefully I wont have any issues moving forward either

Aaron
Mine definitely did have draining issue when parked overnight. It appears quite a few on this forum has similar problem. However I know of one owner of 2014 is 350 fsport with no issues. It probably affected few people myself included. I just didn't wanna risk replacing with stock battery. I went aftermarket over a year and no issues.
Old 04-07-15, 12:47 PM
scottkim23
Driver School Candidate

Default battery drain

I have the is350 f sport. I've had it a year and half. died on me twice now when parking it for a few days. I told lexus dealer about it and they replaced the ecu. I am leaving on vacation next week for 10 days. we will see if I can start my car when I get back.
Old 04-15-15, 10:29 AM
abcsoup
Driver

My battery just died on my 2014 IS 350 AWD (October 2013 delivery). Has about 17,800 miles on it, and I just took it in for the 15,000 mile service a month ago, where the CCA checked out normal.

I had left it in the garage for about 36 hours, and now it will not start. At the end of March/beginning of April, I was out of town for a week, but I didn't notice problems after coming back. Today all the lights are off in the car, including the security LED.

Will be calling Lexus Roadside Assistance...
Old 04-15-15, 06:33 PM
abcsoup
Driver

As an update, Lexus sent AAA to come along and jump the car. Everything appears to be working fine now. Hopefully, that's the end of it, but I've purchased a portable jump starter to leave in the car just in case.

If it happens again, I'll probably get it towed to the dealer for them to examine it. Maybe by then a definitive fix will be confirmed.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)