IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 04:03 PM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has about 2600 miles, went on vacay for a week and my battery was dead. never had this issue with previous lexus vehicles i've had.
Old 10-17-14, 03:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default UPDATE after new battery

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
UPDATE: Got my car back today after servicing the power draw issue. They stated Lexus Canada is aware of the issue and further investigating. In the interim, my dealer tested my existing battery, it was low at 368 Cold Cranking Amps, so a brand new one was installed. It likely will not address the root cause, but at least the battery they replaced appears to be a heavy duty 7 year, 575 CCA which will automatically last me longer than the boosted-twice old battery.

Can anyone check the original battery CCA rating? Just curious to know if the new battery has a larger capacity or not.

Original:

New:

Work Order:

UPDATE: Since last month's new battery replacement, NO ISSUES so far and this includes two occasions having left the car in my garage for 4 and 5 days respectively. Still early to tell, but so far the new battery replacement is looking good.
Old 10-20-14, 05:47 AM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Finally happened to my wife's is250awd f-sport this morning. Car has less than 3500 km on it.

Dead battery and cannot start engine. Had to boost it from the other car.

Drove it once on sunday, short trip less than 10 km. Then car sat in garage til this morning and battery went dead, even the interior lights are out.

This morning was also raining, not sure if the moisture has anything to do with this issue.

Looks like Lexus still does not have a solution to this problem, what a disappointment.
Old 10-20-14, 10:39 AM
anhzie
Pole Position

i leave the car in my garage for 1 week...and it completely dead... just take back to dealer and they starting replace for me a new one without any fighting
Old 10-20-14, 01:42 PM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by anhzie
i leave the car in my garage for 1 week...and it completely dead... just take back to dealer and they starting replace for me a new one without any fighting
Nice to hear that there's no fighting to get battery replaced.

But from reading this entire thread, the issue isn't the battery. So changing the battery seems to be a way for lexus to keep customers happy and make you think the issue is solved.

Has anyone here still have the battery dead even with the lexus replacement battery (the one with 84 months warranty label) ?
Old 10-20-14, 02:39 PM
anhzie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StraySheep

But from reading this entire thread, the issue isn't the battery. So changing the battery seems to be a way for lexus to keep customers happy and make you think the issue is solved.

Has anyone here still have the battery dead even with the lexus replacement battery (the one with 84 months warranty label) ?
yea because i know the services guy in there. he take me long time ago and my friend too.. i think the stock battery not good...since i got air managment, later on when i got custom audio for sure will get some Optima Yellow Top battery
Old 10-20-14, 04:02 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

off topic, battery in my 2IS just dead this past weekend after i replaced the battery almost a year ago. could it be i left the car in garage for a week while i was on vacation? dealer checked the battery and charging system they said it was a faulty battery and went ahead replaced it.
Old 10-20-14, 05:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by StraySheep

Go to your GTA Lexus dealer, point them to this thread, and no issues to get a new battery. Since the swap, no issues at all, but still early...

Can you tell me the cold cranking amps on your 250 battery so we at least can tell if the new battery is a heavier-duty one...
Old 10-21-14, 12:33 AM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

Just a bought a 2015 IS250 w/ luxury and nav package about a month ago. Reading all this battery thread makes me curious. I'll be in vacation tomorrow for a week and let's see if my 2015 model is effected. Will follow up after a week.
Old 10-21-14, 03:27 PM
cap20451
Driver School Candidate

Default New Battery

2014 LEXUS is250

Just a follow-up to my post in August, 2014

Battery dead : beginning of July, 2014
Dealer put new battery in

Battery dead: end of July, 2014
Dealer kept car 5 weeks: said the couldn't replicate dead battery situation...took all kinds of tests...also Lexus Corporate testing. ...gave car back

Battery dead: middle of October, 2014
AAA jumped it and took it back to dealer...said they are putting new computer in car...has less than 10,000 miles on it

Very disappointed and angry!!
Old 10-21-14, 06:42 PM
anhzie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cap20451
2014 LEXUS is250

Dealer kept car 5 weeks: said the couldn't replicate dead battery situation...took all kinds of tests...also Lexus Corporate testing. ...gave car back

AAA jumped it and took it back to dealer...said they are putting new computer in car...has less than 10,000 miles on it

omg feel bad for u...i got my car since last october until beginning october this year battery was dead because i leave my car for a week....now they change me the new black one look like the guy up post
Old 10-27-14, 02:01 PM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DreamAce7
Just a bought a 2015 IS250 w/ luxury and nav package about a month ago. Reading all this battery thread makes me curious. I'll be in vacation tomorrow for a week and let's see if my 2015 model is effected. Will follow up after a week.
A follow up from my week of vacation. My 15 IS250 started just fine, everything looks good to me.
Old 10-27-14, 05:47 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,542 Likes on 1,732 Posts

...this is quite common with my Acuras so I have a trickle charger (CTEK) and that thing is amazing!
Old 11-03-14, 08:49 AM
gbrieva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cap20451
2014 LEXUS is250

I own an obsidian 3is F-Sport, close to 9,000 miles. After reading thru this thread, today appears to be the start. I suspected something was odd. In our garage, I overheard light clicks around 4:40am this morning while getting into our other car for work. Received a text from wifey around 6:21am that the 3is wouldnt even open. looks like i have a can worms ahead of me! Will try my best to keep you guys posted on my results.
Old 11-03-14, 09:37 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gbrieva
I own an obsidian 3is F-Sport, close to 9,000 miles. After reading thru this thread, today appears to be the start. I suspected something was odd. In our garage, I overheard light clicks around 4:40am this morning while getting into our other car for work. Received a text from wifey around 6:21am that the 3is wouldnt even open. looks like i have a can worms ahead of me! Will try my best to keep you guys posted on my results.
For now, they will likely just replace your battery. There is something behind this beyond just a bunch of bad batteries IMO. Lexus just doesn't know what the cause is yet.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)