IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Old 07-07-14, 01:06 PM
azmp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They called me back and said "bad battery". No other explanation. I asked if they see a trend with this model and he just said "i see this happen to all makes and models" so I clarified has he seen a trend with 2014 is350 and he just said the same thing "i see this happen to all cars". Needless to say, I am switching service reps and starting to build a "case" with dates, description of problem and cost. As for the nav restarting, he said they couldn't duplicate it so they dont know what it can be.
Old 07-07-14, 01:07 PM
azmp
Driver School Candidate

They called me back and said "bad battery". No other explanation. I asked if they see a trend with this model and he just said "i see this happen to all makes and models" so I clarified has he seen a trend with 2014 is350 and he just said the same thing "i see this happen to all cars". Needless to say, I am switching service reps and starting to build a "case" with dates, description of problem and cost. As for the nav restarting, he said they couldn't duplicate it so they dont know what it can be.
Old 07-07-14, 01:25 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be true about the battery, I haven't checked the other Lexus forums to see if owners of other models are having issues. Has anyone with a replacement battery had an issue yet?
Old 07-08-14, 06:51 PM
cap20451
Driver School Candidate

Default 2014 is250 dead again

Originally Posted by dasbuch
It could be true about the battery, I haven't checked the other Lexus forums to see if owners of other models are having issues. Has anyone with a replacement battery had an issue yet?
We recently had this battery issue with our 2014 IS250, had a replacement battery and the explanation, "you must have left something on". Well, two weeks later, again the car is completely dead. They jumped it, and took it to the dealership. Last time, they couldn't find an explanation and I'll bet since following the same exact actions, I'll bet they say the same thing. UNACCEPTABLE!! I thought they might tow it, and perform diagnostic tests, but no....I truly think that they don't know how to fix it...

We'll see.....
Old 07-12-14, 02:04 PM
jccisgs
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2008 IS250 for 6 years since new. The original battery was replaced until Lexus warranty around 25k miles. Dealer determined it was too weak during a routine oil change and put a new one in. The second battery completed died on me, without any warning, in less than 20k miles. Jumped the car and drove to dealer, who first wanted me to buy a new battery as the car was out of warranty. Then after some questioning from me, he "discovered" that it was still under the battery manufacturer's warranty and gave me a new one. So if you ask me, Toyota just puts really crappy batteries in their cars. I do live in a hot climate, but the OEM battery in our Volvo lasted 5.5 years and never completely died on us.

Earlier this year I replaced the IS with a new 2013 GS350. With less than 5,000 miles on the odometer, the battery completed died recently, after the car had been parked for 48 hours. Roadside assistance came and gave me a jump. It started right up and the problem has not recurred. But I suspect the battery is faulty and it's just a matter of time before it leaves me stranded somewhere. I will talk with the dealer when I take it in for its first oil change.
Old 07-14-14, 06:09 AM
difeq
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dasbuch
Dasbush,

We bought our IS the first weekend they were available for sale. We are now on our 3rd battery, but is has been some months since we have has an issue. So to answer your question, yes I have been through 2 batteries and have no confidence this battery will be any different. They need to find a fix to this issue. I can understand how complex the problem is, but I still expect a fix.
Old 07-14-14, 07:10 AM
mishy
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacement battery drained in a month!

It happened again!! After sitting over the weekend, my car wouldn’t start and my electrical system went crazy. It lit up like a Christmas tree and made a really loud sound. I’m waiting on an answer from my dealer now. The problem continues………

Last edited by mishy; 07-14-14 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Adding title
Old 07-14-14, 06:30 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

welp, folks, i have succumbed to the dreaded dead-battery/faulty-electrical-system issue. 2,700 miles and the car wouldn't start today. lexus roadside assistance came out and jumped it. i drove it for about 20 minutes back to my house only to turn it off, attempt to restart it, and fail.

lexus roadside assistance is towing it tomorrow to the dealer. the car is without flaw, except that it won't start (!!!!), and i don't want it being towed on anything but a flatbed truck.

i'm super annoyed.
Old 07-14-14, 07:49 PM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

This is terrible...every single time I go to my brand new
$51,000 car....I have to be nervous,that it will be dead.Lexus better be working on a solution.Had I known about this problem, I would have gone with a Mercedes or BMW....I would never have ordered this car....I don't like surprises
Old 07-14-14, 09:31 PM
mishy
Driver School Candidate

Default Dead replacement battery! :-(

I have the same issue.....again. My 2014 IS250 is at 5,500 miles and this morning my second battery died on me. My car made an awful sound and the electrical system went haywire. The first battery last for 6 months and this one a little over a month. Lexus really needs to find a fix. The dealer towed my car on a flatbed. I'm waiting to hear the outcome.

Last edited by mishy; 07-14-14 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-14-14, 09:51 PM
zabone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had this problem yet! (knocks on wood). but I've owned a couple acuras and hondas. I've never had luck with their OEM batteries... always died even with replacements. What I've learned from hondas is that you MUST buy a good aftermarket battery once your oem dies. Don't even think about taking it for a dealer replacement. It will only cause more headaches. If the problem continues even with reputable brands of batteries such as Interstate, then it might be something wrong with the car...
Old 07-14-14, 09:53 PM
1DRIVEN1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skip000
Had I known about this problem, I would have gone with a Mercedes or BMW....I would never have ordered this car....I don't like surprises
Surprise, Mercedes and BMW have their own issues. My 2012 BMW 335is, along with the majority of 2010-11 model year 335i/is have failing high pressure fuel pumps. Took them 3 model years and a complete redesign of the HPFP to fix, along with an extended 100K mile warranty on the fuel pumps because some (including mine) still had issues.

Whether it's a car not starting or in my case, the engine malfunction light running at reduced power, I also do not like any slight nervous feeling while walking out to the car wondering what's going to happen next.. just thought I'd chime in and say that going with BMW or Merc doesn't necessarily solve the problem.

Disclaimer: I am not a BMW owner lurking the Lexus forums. I have purchased a 2014 IS 350 F Sport currently held up at the Long Beach port in California, lol.
Old 07-15-14, 01:27 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

This is not what I should expect from LEXUS' Reliability! Burn their reputation! hehe

I had this issue once because I didn't drive the car for 2 nights, since then I drove it everyday and hasn't seen it anymore.
Old 07-15-14, 04:00 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

I should have just kept my 2009 Lexus IS....it started everyday...with the original 5 year old battery...never did replace it , never had to. My new Lexus only has 43 miles on it....and I'm going on vacation next week, where the car is going to sit in my garage for 8 days...not used...what are my chances of it starting right up when I return....worry worry worry. I know my 2009 Lexus would have started right up...since that car sat in the garage for over a week, many many times
Old 07-15-14, 04:48 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by skip000
I should have just kept my 2009 Lexus IS....it started everyday...with the original 5 year old battery...never did replace it , never had to. My new Lexus only has 43 miles on it....and I'm going on vacation next week, where the car is going to sit in my garage for 8 days...not used...what are my chances of it starting right up when I return....worry worry worry. I know my 2009 Lexus would have started right up...since that car sat in the garage for over a week, many many times
There were some people who left theirs sitting in the garage for weeks and still started up after returned from vacation. It just really sucks how Lexus is hiding and keeping this issue secret to themselves. We have no idea what is going on and Lexus would not fix it or let us know that they acknowledge this issue, which I believe they should know by now with so many complaints from customers telling them this error.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)