IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-14, 11:00 AM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
This actually is a good theory since the focus has been on the battery alone and no smoking gun found common across all cases reported.
I think the focus should be what drains the battery.
Drained battery is the result not the cause.
Old 06-21-14, 02:58 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there anyone here that has experienced the issue that DOES NOT use Bluetooth?

It sounds so much to me like BT polling related battery drain on phones. I never use BT anymore in my car but when I did, it was always a little freaky to get many yards away from my home and hear the audio system still picking up tunes from my iPad or iPhone which was back in the house.

Reading this makes me wonder if the components in the car are constantly polling for a BT connection or something similar. If so it should be a simple software fix.
Old 06-21-14, 05:23 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dasbuch
Is there anyone here that has experienced the issue that DOES NOT use Bluetooth?

It sounds so much to me like BT polling related battery drain on phones. I never use BT anymore in my car but when I did, it was always a little freaky to get many yards away from my home and hear the audio system still picking up tunes from my iPad or iPhone which was back in the house.

Reading this makes me wonder if the components in the car are constantly polling for a BT connection or something similar. If so it should be a simple software fix.
I don't think the radio works or BT is scanning when the car is off. When I was playing with the radio settings in the garage (when I had the car), it took about 5-7 minutes before I got a warning message on the screen. It then shut everything off to "prevent battery drain".
Old 06-21-14, 06:56 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
I don't think the radio works or BT is scanning when the car is off. When I was playing with the radio settings in the garage (when I had the car), it took about 5-7 minutes before I got a warning message on the screen. It then shut everything off to "prevent battery drain".
That makes sense for intended behavior, but sometimes systems are still running in an intended low power mode in the background even when all visuals (screens, lights etc.) are down. It's just a guess but I'd be interested in what would happen if those having the issue recurrently just disabled BT on their vehicle (if possible?) and disable BT on any devices the vehicle might be trying to connect to and see if it still occurs.

With any sort of software bug, the system might not be doing what it appears to be doing.
Old 06-21-14, 09:03 PM
kevinktai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an IS350 which the battery was drained over night.
I needed to jump-start my car.
I took it to dealer and they told me everything is normal.
Very upset with my first Lexus.
Old 06-23-14, 02:57 PM
toriharper
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kevinktai
I have an IS350 which the battery was drained over night.
I needed to jump-start my car.
I took it to dealer and they told me everything is normal.
Very upset with my first Lexus.
How long have you had your car? Just noticed this thread and it's kinda freaking me out. Newbie Lexus owner here
Old 06-23-14, 04:16 PM
kevinktai
Driver School Candidate

I made a complain to Lexus regarding the battery drain problem.
This is the respond I got from Lexus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your recent email.

When it is necessary for Lexus Canada to issue special service campaigns for vehicles, owners of affected vehicles are notified by mail. Our records indicate that as of today's date, there are no outstanding campaigns on your 2014 IS 350.

With respect to your concerns with the battery on your 2014 IS 350, as you can appreciate, we are unable to provide a diagnosis of your vehicle through the medium of correspondence. We rely on Lexus dealerships to diagnose and repair vehicles on our behalf. As such, we suggest discussing this directly with the Service Manager at your Lexus dealership. He or she would be in the best position to advise you in this regard.

We would also like to mention that we have noted your comments your concern and have forwarded them to the appropriate departments within Lexus Canada for information purposes.

We thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Customer Interaction Centre
Lexus Division
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-23-14, 06:10 PM
toriharper
Driver School Candidate

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it is necessary for Lexus Canada to issue special service campaigns for vehicles, owners of affected vehicles are notified by mail. Our records indicate that as of today's date, there are no outstanding campaigns on your 2014 IS 350.

With respect to your concerns with the battery on your 2014 IS 350, as you can appreciate, we are unable to provide a diagnosis of your vehicle through the medium of correspondence. We rely on Lexus dealerships to diagnose and repair vehicles on our behalf. As such, we suggest discussing this directly with the Service Manager at your Lexus dealership. He or she would be in the best position to advise you in this regard.

We would also like to mention that we have noted your comments your concern and have forwarded them to the appropriate departments within Lexus Canada for information purposes.

Sincerely,

Lexus Division
That's all bad! That's the nicest 'go away' email I've ever read!
Old 06-24-14, 04:12 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Someone needs to get a lawyer and start something with Lexus then we can all Lemon this car hahaha. Just a thought
Old 06-24-14, 06:49 AM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sincerely,

Lexus Division
I am in Toronto area, my dealer replaced my battery without too much of a fight.
Attached Thumbnails 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)-20140624_122414-1-.jpg  

Last edited by v33k; 06-24-14 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-25-14, 09:34 AM
golfpunks
Driver

MIne wouldn't start five times now, new battery a month ago, they changed the Navi thinking that was the issue, still no luck, don't know what to do from here on out. Just died this morning
Old 06-25-14, 02:37 PM
toriharper
Driver School Candidate

Everyone really is nicer in Canada huh? Even the dealers! lol
Old 06-25-14, 03:12 PM
NickD82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toriharper
Everyone really is nicer in Canada huh? Even the dealers! lol
Yeah, we're sorry for being nicer.
Old 07-07-14, 09:14 AM
azmp
Driver School Candidate

Default IS350 F power/battery drain

Had my IS350 F for 9 months and I've had several problems. All of which might be linked. The steering buttons wouldn't work and I wasn't able to click on the navigation menu buttons. Then my navigation screen and radio would restart even while driving. Now today my car was no responding to anything. No power, no lights, wouldn't start, nothing. I had to jump start it. It's at the dealer now and they asked if I left anything on and said its probably a bad battery. As for the buttons, nav and radio restarting, they said it's because I plug my iPhone into the USB. Since I stopped plugging in my iPhone but the problem continues.
Old 07-07-14, 11:28 AM
azmp
Driver School Candidate

Default Zero Power

Had my IS350 F for 9 months (14725 miles) and I've had several problems. All of which might be linked. Last week the steering buttons wouldn't work and I wasn't able to click on the navigation menu buttons. Prior to that, my navigation screen and radio would restart monthly even while driving. Now today my car was not responding to anything. No power, no lights, wouldn't start, nothing. I had to jump start it. It's at the dealer now and they asked if I left anything on and said its probably a bad battery. As for the buttons, nav and radio restarting, they said it's because I plug my iPhone into the USB. I have since stopped plugging in my iPhone but the problem continues. Their customer service is horrible. Will keep you updated.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)