IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 10:16 AM
difeq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My key is always away from the car, never leave it close. I think there are gremlins in some of these cars. I am far from happy at the moment:

Update #1: Talked to the dealer, still no idea what is going on with the car. Going to get back with me with more information as they have it. Total time they have had car: 2.5 working days.
Old 03-14-14, 08:25 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing old thread back. Today, @920 miles, sitting in garage for. 5 days, battery dead. Battery read 5.5v. Something drained it. Didn't leave anything on. Nor was car locked in garage. Key fob kept inside house.
Old 03-30-14, 05:46 PM
itisme1760
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had the same issue. Car is at 7800 miles, placed in park, locked the doors like always, and yesterday morning, had the stuttering start sound and flashing instrumental panel lights. Will have the car brought to the dealership tomorrow to see what is wrong. Technician on the phone says a dead battery.
Old 03-30-14, 06:47 PM
shreddog
Driver

Add me to the list...8,700 miles and battery died for no reason. Dealer says the battery is fine and insists that I left something on. No way. Car sat for 5 days, I went to put something in the trunk and the alarm and interior lighting all worked fine. Closed everything and walked away (car should have re-engaged the alarm when it was out of range) and came back an hour later...completely dead battery. Hope this doesn't happen again.
Old 04-02-14, 12:24 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figure I add to the list. Minor but it happens. 2 weeks old, 800 miles. Battery died after not driving it for 1 day. Lol
Old 04-02-14, 01:03 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Mine died after 6 months of owning the car, all I did was leave it parked in garage doors lock for 3 days.

Anyone know how much "cold cranking amps" do I need on a jump starter to jump start the dead battery on the 2014 IS350? I'm planning on buying one in case it happens again.
Old 04-03-14, 05:23 AM
shreddog
Driver

Originally Posted by finalhope
Mine died after 6 months of owning the car, all I did was leave it parked in garage doors lock for 3 days.

Anyone know how much "cold cranking amps" do I need on a jump starter to jump start the dead battery on the 2014 IS350? I'm planning on buying one in case it happens again.
I was thinking the same thing...tried to google it but can't find anything. The Cobra JumPack looks like it will fit in the glovebox but not sure if it's got enough juice.
Old 04-04-14, 04:06 PM
iPinky
Driver

So.... My car battery died today. 4719 on the odo. I had initially thought the battery on my key fob died, but noticed the red light on the upper corner was still flashing. Tried to troubleshoot it as suggested in the manual...nada. I noticed no light turned on on the dash, headlights didn't turned on, so I figured the battery was dead. Called AAA to jump start the battery. Their voltage reading showed there was only 5.07 on it.

I just dropped off my car at the dealer. My tech said she's seen batteries on cars die after 600 miles. Umm, what?? This is so weird. I asked to have the battery replaced, but she said they'll do a checkup on it and see if the alternator is the cause. Ugh. What a pain in the butt. My car was only sitting in my driveway from two days of no use. I turn radio and AC off, and headlights automatically turn off, so this boggles me.
Old 04-04-14, 04:32 PM
iPinky
Driver

And another weird thing...the AAA guy who jumped my car said he had just jump started another 3rd gen IS with the same issue - dead battery but everything else looked fine. Either that's a coincidence or there's a common issue with the ISes.
Old 04-05-14, 04:15 PM
zabone
Rookie

I just had a thought.

When someone uses a visor mirror, the light turns on when the mirror slider is open.

Maybe a passenger forgot to close the slide with the visor? Thus leaving the interior light on
The following users liked this post:
Kmartihe (02-06-23)
Old 04-05-14, 08:37 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zabone
I just had a thought.

When someone uses a visor mirror, the light turns on when the mirror slider is open.

Maybe a passenger forgot to close the slide with the visor? Thus leaving the interior light on
I know when mine died in the garage after 5 days, I has not opened the visor. But I do think something didn't go to sleep and kept drawing power. My battery is fine after recharge but my charger/tender can only get it up to 97% capacity.
Old 04-07-14, 10:06 AM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
I know when mine died in the garage after 5 days, I has not opened the visor. But I do think something didn't go to sleep and kept drawing power. My battery is fine after recharge but my charger/tender can only get it up to 97% capacity.
I didn't leave my visors open either.

So they did a full test on the battery and results show all the cells are in good condition. The battery is at 100%, and the voltage is at 12, where it's supposed to be. So they were unable to replace my battery with a new since it's not under their guidelines to replace a "good" battery.

The only explanation they could give me was that taking short trips (less than 20 minutes) tend to drain the battery. Tech said every time a car is started, 10V is taken away from the battery. Taking short trips in succession can add up and deplete it to where the battery will die. Idk. I think it's ridiculous this is the only possible explanation they could give me. Prior to my car sitting on my driveway, I had driven for more than 20 minutes.
Old 04-07-14, 10:09 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

ive got 10k havent had any problems
hope you get it all figured out
Old 04-07-14, 09:46 PM
itisme1760
Driver School Candidate

I had the issue and took it into the dealership at Scottsdale, AZ. Initially they told me that all the checks ran fine and my battery had no issue. I asked the guy what would I do if I had the same problem (as I had to jump start the battery twice in two days before taking it in), he said to just call lexus roadside service and they will jump for me. Then take it in the shop again. I was furious that we had to do such a stupid loop around to get to the problem. I told him no, i can't do that, he said ok, gave me an ES loaner and told me to come back at lunch time. Came back a few hours later and they gave me a new battery and crossing fingers that this one has no problems...
Old 04-07-14, 10:11 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes I wonder why they even bother asking if something like that would be okay, that's *****ty service.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)