IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-16, 11:15 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
Never heard from the Lexus case manager. Or at least they never left a message yesterday like they said they would. I'll have to call and get pissy again, I guess.
You might want to also post your concern in the Lexus Customer Service Forum here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...r-service-271/, and point them to this thread.
Old 06-17-16, 11:30 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
You might want to also post your concern in the Lexus Customer Service Forum here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...r-service-271/, and point them to this thread.
Posted

Just got off the phone with Lexus. Now I have to wait until Monday to hear from the Case Manager.

Might as well bought a Boxster S....
Old 06-17-16, 11:34 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Might as well bought a Boxster S....
If you did it would be in the shop Better to put up with a dead battery for now.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...er/reliability
Old 06-17-16, 11:36 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Where's the dealer in Florida (just the city, not the name please)?
Originally Posted by evident
dealer refusing to help you or offer you a tow or loaner because you didn't buy from them is complete BS if you're under warranty.

I've had no dealings w/ the two lexus dealerships that I take my cars to for state inspections, and recalls, and i ALWAYS get loaners. I purchased my IS from a private party 3 states away. Not even a question of where the hell I bought my vehicle! Even when i take my 07 RX w/ 105K miles in to the dealer I didnt' purchase from, i still get a loaner. I guess the only thing i can say is you're dealing with a really *****ty dealership.

it doesn't even make sense when i play devil's advocate. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I always thought that in the case of recalls / or when the car is under warranty, the bill of the loaner and parts is footed to lexus corporate so why should this particular dealership care anyways, unless if they personally are trying to screw you over.

I would raise a stink on social media, including yelp about that dealership.
Hopefully corporate will make it right for you.
Lexus of Jacksonville was sold last year to Fields Auto Group. I wonder how much of the poor treatment is the result of the new Jacksonville dealership owner just not caring.

http://jacksonville.com/autos/2015-1...lds-auto-group

"Fields operates 38 franchises at 25 locations, from Alfa Romeo and Bentley to Volkswagen and Volvo. Seventeen of those franchises are in Florida, with others in Illinois, Wisconsin and North Carolina. Locally, Fields operates a Jaguar and Land Rover dealership at 11211 Atlantic Blvd. in Jacksonville, as well as a Cadillac operation at 7999 Blanding Blvd. It also has a Cadillac dealership at 375 Outlet Mall Blvd. in St. Augustine. Fields began in 1971 with one Cadillac dealership in Evanston, Ill.

According to property appraiser records, Brumos Automotive owns nine properties in Jacksonville, with the total assessed value of roughly $19 million. Those include Mercedes-Benzes dealerships at 10231 Atlantic Blvd. and 7018 Blanding Blvd.; Brumos Porsche at 10100 Atlantic Blvd.; and Brumos Lexus of Jacksonville at 10259 Atlantic Blvd.; and another Lexus operation at 7040 Blanding Blvd. Brumos also sells Sprinter vans at 10231 Atlantic Blvd., Smart cars at 7018 Blanding Blvd., and operates a collision center at 56 Jackson Road."
If you did it would be in the shop Better to put up with a dead battery for now.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...er/reliability
2014 boxster s 😊
Old 06-21-16, 02:01 PM
Ytrek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue! 2014 IS 250 F. This drain occurred 6 times since I bought the car. A quick jump start brings enough amps to bring it back to life. Lexus replaced the battery after my second visit. A couple of weeks ago they kept the car overnight and they said they had to replace the computer because it did not fully shut off. Well today my wife calls to say that it would not start at all.
Old 06-21-16, 02:21 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ytrek
I have the same issue! 2014 IS 250 F. This drain occurred 6 times since I bought the car. A quick jump start brings enough amps to bring it back to life. Lexus replaced the battery after my second visit. A couple of weeks ago they kept the car overnight and they said they had to replace the computer because it did not fully shut off. Well today my wife calls to say that it would not start at all.
I'd be contacting a lemon law attorney at that point. I'm sure Lexus is banking on warrantys ending before they have to do something more drastic.

Anyone here well versed in lemon law?

I'm still waiting to see what Lexus USA will do for me. They are trying to work out something with the dealer nearest me that won't play ball.
Old 06-21-16, 02:26 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Anyone here well versed in lemon law?
Depends on the state, in Florida you have 24 months to invoke it: Used cars are not eligible.

How The Florida Lemon Law Works

The Lemon Law covers defects or conditions that substantially impair the use, value or safety of a new or demonstrator vehicle (these are called "nonconformities"). These defects must be first reported to the manufacturer or its authorized service agent (usually, this is the dealer) during the "Lemon Law Rights Period," which is the first 24 months after the date of delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer. If the manufacturer fails to conform the vehicle to the warranty after a reasonable number of attempts to repair these defects, the law requires the manufacturer to buy back the defective vehicle and give the consumer a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle. The law does not cover defects that result from accident, neglect, abuse, modification or alteration by persons other than the manufacturer or its authorized service agent. DO NOT DELAY in reporting a problem as this may cost valuable time and protection.

Consumers should KEEP RECORDS of all repairs and maintenance. A written repair order should be obtained from the service agent (dealer) for each examination or repair under the warranty. The consumer should note the date the vehicle was taken in for repair and date he or she was notified that work was completed. Odometer mileage when the vehicle was taken to the shop and when it was picked up after repair should also be noted. Consumers should keep all receipts or invoices for payment of expenses related to the purchase/lease of the vehicle and to any repair.

If the vehicle has been back to the service agent for repair of the same recurring problem at least three times, the consumer must give written notification by certified, registered or express mail, to the manufacturer (not the dealer) to afford a final opportunity to repair the vehicle. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may be used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. Upon receipt of the notification, the manufacturer has 10 days to direct the consumer to a reasonably accessible repair facility, and then up to 10 days from delivery of the vehicle to fix it.

If the vehicle is in and out of the authorized repair shop for repair of one or more different problems for 15 or more cumulative days, the consumer must give written notification of this fact to the manufacturer (not the dealer), by certified, registered or express mail. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. After the manufacturer’s receipt of the notification, the manufacturer or its authorized service agent must have at least one opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle. The consumer may be eligible for a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is out of service for repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.

If the manufacturer does not provide a refund or a replacement vehicle, consumers may invoke their rights through one or two arbitration programs. The dispute must be submitted for arbitration to a manufacturer sponsored program, if that program was certified by the State of Florida when the consumer purchased or leased the vehicle and the manufacturer's warranty or other written material explained how and where to file a claim with a state-certified program.

A list of Manufacturers who sponsor state-certified programs can be found by clicking here, or to find out if a manufacturer has a state-certified program, consumers in Florida may call the Lemon Law Hotline (1-800-321-5366), consumers out of state may call 850-414-3500. "State-certified" means the manufacturer's program meets certain state and federal requirements; it does not mean that the program is administered or sponsored by the State of Florida.

If a manufacturer has no state-certified program, or if the manufacturer has a state-certified program, but the program fails to make a decision in 40 days, or the consumer is not satisfied with the state-certified program's decision, the dispute must be submitted to the Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board, which is administered by the Office of the Attorney General. Click here to download a Request for Arbitration form, or contact the Lemon Law Hotline (1-800-321-5366; 1-850-414-3500) to obtain a Request for Arbitration form. The form is submitted for eligibility screening to the Office of the Attorney General.
Old 06-21-16, 02:34 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Depends on the state, in Florida you have 24 months to invoke it: Used cars are not eligible.

How The Florida Lemon Law Works

The Lemon Law covers defects or conditions that substantially impair the use, value or safety of a new or demonstrator vehicle (these are called "nonconformities"). These defects must be first reported to the manufacturer or its authorized service agent (usually, this is the dealer) during the "Lemon Law Rights Period," which is the first 24 months after the date of delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer. If the manufacturer fails to conform the vehicle to the warranty after a reasonable number of attempts to repair these defects, the law requires the manufacturer to buy back the defective vehicle and give the consumer a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle. The law does not cover defects that result from accident, neglect, abuse, modification or alteration by persons other than the manufacturer or its authorized service agent. DO NOT DELAY in reporting a problem as this may cost valuable time and protection.

Consumers should KEEP RECORDS of all repairs and maintenance. A written repair order should be obtained from the service agent (dealer) for each examination or repair under the warranty. The consumer should note the date the vehicle was taken in for repair and date he or she was notified that work was completed. Odometer mileage when the vehicle was taken to the shop and when it was picked up after repair should also be noted. Consumers should keep all receipts or invoices for payment of expenses related to the purchase/lease of the vehicle and to any repair.

If the vehicle has been back to the service agent for repair of the same recurring problem at least three times, the consumer must give written notification by certified, registered or express mail, to the manufacturer (not the dealer) to afford a final opportunity to repair the vehicle. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may be used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. Upon receipt of the notification, the manufacturer has 10 days to direct the consumer to a reasonably accessible repair facility, and then up to 10 days from delivery of the vehicle to fix it.

If the vehicle is in and out of the authorized repair shop for repair of one or more different problems for 15 or more cumulative days, the consumer must give written notification of this fact to the manufacturer (not the dealer), by certified, registered or express mail. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. After the manufacturer’s receipt of the notification, the manufacturer or its authorized service agent must have at least one opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle. The consumer may be eligible for a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is out of service for repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.

If the manufacturer does not provide a refund or a replacement vehicle, consumers may invoke their rights through one or two arbitration programs. The dispute must be submitted for arbitration to a manufacturer sponsored program, if that program was certified by the State of Florida when the consumer purchased or leased the vehicle and the manufacturer's warranty or other written material explained how and where to file a claim with a state-certified program.

A list of Manufacturers who sponsor state-certified programs can be found by clicking here, or to find out if a manufacturer has a state-certified program, consumers in Florida may call the Lemon Law Hotline (1-800-321-5366), consumers out of state may call 850-414-3500. "State-certified" means the manufacturer's program meets certain state and federal requirements; it does not mean that the program is administered or sponsored by the State of Florida.

If a manufacturer has no state-certified program, or if the manufacturer has a state-certified program, but the program fails to make a decision in 40 days, or the consumer is not satisfied with the state-certified program's decision, the dispute must be submitted to the Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board, which is administered by the Office of the Attorney General. Click here to download a Request for Arbitration form, or contact the Lemon Law Hotline (1-800-321-5366; 1-850-414-3500) to obtain a Request for Arbitration form. The form is submitted for eligibility screening to the Office of the Attorney General.
Looks like Lexus has more than enough time built into the law to drag things out and avoid having to pay up. :-(
Old 06-21-16, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The early build 2014 IS350 AWD F sport I will have in a month has only had one instance of battery drain; it was when the car was not driven for for six weeks and needed to get jumpstarted. The car is almost three years old, should I have the battery replaced anyway? I feel modern batteries only last 3-4 years, they don't make them like they used to....
Old 06-22-16, 12:27 PM
mscuil
Driver School Candidate

You all have me worried. I have a check from my bank and once the title arrives at the dealer, I take delivery of a 2014 CPO IS350 F. Should I inquire if any work was done related to this issue before handing them the check?
Old 06-22-16, 12:37 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mscuil
You all have me worried. I have a check from my bank and once the title arrives at the dealer, I take delivery of a 2014 CPO IS350 F. Should I inquire if any work was done related to this issue before handing them the check?
You'll probably be ok. ;-)
Old 06-27-16, 09:25 AM
TorontoR
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the dealer at the moment, random battery death. There wasn't much push back when I suggested it may be the gateway ECU. Hopefully they replace it and the battery. Only thing that changed this time was after a 200 km round trip on Saturday. Didn't drive the car on Sunday, Monday AM battery dead.

Last edited by TorontoR; 06-27-16 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 09:46 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mscuil
I'd say it's pretty random and not to worry. It wouldn't hurt to get all service history. Granted, anything can happen, but I've had my 2014 350 F Sport for 2 1/2 years with 27K miles and no issues with the battery. I just returned from a quick vacation and the car wasn't driven for 5 days, it started right up.
Old 06-27-16, 09:56 AM
TorontoR
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got the car back from the dealer. Battery had failed, they said monitor it again and if it fails again the next step they will take it to replace the gateway ECU.
Old 07-05-16, 05:09 PM
Ytrek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the update. After the jump on my battery it has not repeated. If it happens again I will go back to the dealer!

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)