IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 02:39 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
I think Lexus Corporate would love to know that. I've never had a problem taking my car to the nearest servicing dealer, regardless of where I was at the time the problem occurred. In fact, one time Lexus paid for a $1200 flatbed tow because the nearest dealer was 200 miles away. And it wasn't the dealer I bought from.
The only thing they indicated they (corporate)would do is maybe tow it for me if I can't drive it. They suggested I drive it to the dealer, plain and simple. If it happens again, they MAY tow it for me. I'd be stuck without a car and having to figure out a way to get myself to the dealer to pick it up.

Now for a first world problem: My town has ZERO upscale car brand dealers. So, I'm stuck with this issue for as long as I live here. Or until Lexus and Toyota start working together. Or until I give up and get a Camry.

Matt
Old 05-23-16, 02:42 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
The only thing they indicated they (corporate)would do is maybe tow it for me if I can't drive it. They suggested I drive it to the dealer, plain and simple. If it happens again, they MAY tow it for me. I'd be stuck without a car and having to figure out a way to get myself to the dealer to pick it up.
If you make an issue of it, Lexus will provide you with a rental car while yours is out of the area being serviced. At least, that has been my experience.
Old 05-23-16, 06:16 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to demand it, ask for the service manager and call corporate, which is what i had to do to get free rental. Free rental is the minimum they should do for a customer while they fix the flawed product that they sold you.
Old 05-25-16, 12:28 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

If you make an issue of it, Lexus will provide you with a rental car while yours is out of the area being serviced. At least, that has been my experience.
I am sure they operate differently in different parts of the company. My battery was dead when the car was 4 months old. I got a little pissed at Lexus roadside after the third person asked me if I knew I could call roadside directly from inside the car. It doesn't work so well with a completely dead battery. They sent a flatbed with a loaner on it, swapped and took my car for diagnosis.
Old 05-25-16, 02:55 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
You have to demand it, ask for the service manager and call corporate, which is what i had to do to get free rental. Free rental is the minimum they should do for a customer while they fix the flawed product that they sold you.
I spoke with the service manager at the nearest dealer and he seemed a bit shocked that I wanted him to send his guys to my town with a loaner and pick my car up, especially with me not being one of his customers.

I really was made to feel an a hole on the phone asking. I explained that I'm an engineer and have a tight schedule. He just told me to tell corporate about it and he would call me back. He never did call back. Corporate said they can't make their dealers do anything.

I'm pretty shocked after all the good things I heard about customer service. At least I got lucky and have a reason to drive to the dealer I originally went to that's 300 miles away.
Old 05-25-16, 04:11 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mrg02d

I spoke with the service manager at the nearest dealer and he seemed a bit shocked that I wanted him to send his guys to my town with a loaner and pick my car up, especially with me not being one of his customers.

I really was made to feel an a hole on the phone asking. I explained that I'm an engineer and have a tight schedule. He just told me to tell corporate about it and he would call me back. He never did call back. Corporate said they can't make their dealers do anything.

I'm pretty shocked after all the good things I heard about customer service. At least I got lucky and have a reason to drive to the dealer I originally went to that's 300 miles away.
Sorry to hear, my dealership also resisted with rental and fix, but i managed to get corporate to talk some sense into them. You have to make sure corporate understands your dissatisfaction, how unsafe it is that your car can die anywhere you take it to, and don't forget to bring your dissatisfaction to the social media (twitter, etc). If they get pressure from you, they will then give the dealers the pressure. I'm no lawyer and not really qualified to give legal advice, so please act on your own discretion, but they should consult with their lawyers before leaving their customer helpless, the car is still under warranty, and they are potentially violating the contract.
Old 05-25-16, 04:32 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
...they are potentially violating the contract.
Maybe quoting their own Roadside Service agreement back to them would help.

"Roadside Assistance automatically protects Lexus owners across the Continental U.S., Alaska and Canada with emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days per year for 4 years on a NEW vehicle and 2 years/unlimited miles on a L/Certified vehicle based on the vehicle's original date of purchase.

Roadside Assistance includes services such as a battery jump-start, tire change, lockout and fuel delivery and towing to the nearest Lexus dealership or an alternative repair facility, if necessary."

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answe...-assistance%3F
Old 05-26-16, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Just to recap, is this battery drain/gateway ecu issue specific to 2014 cars, especially early build dates?
Old 05-26-16, 05:22 PM
39RN
Driver

Originally Posted by 387
Just to recap, is this battery drain/gateway ecu issue specific to 2014 cars, especially early build dates?
Not sure about the early build year but it is definitely primarily the 14s...
Old 05-26-16, 06:35 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Maybe quoting their own Roadside Service agreement back to them would help.

"Roadside Assistance automatically protects Lexus owners across the Continental U.S., Alaska and Canada with emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days per year for 4 years on a NEW vehicle and 2 years/unlimited miles on a L/Certified vehicle based on the vehicle's original date of purchase.

Roadside Assistance includes services such as a battery jump-start, tire change, lockout and fuel delivery and towing to the nearest Lexus dealership or an alternative repair facility, if necessary."

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answe...-assistance%3F
I'll be "reasonable" this time since luck has it that I'm headed near a dealer anyways for work, but next time I'll probably lose it. I'm not willing to take vacation just to drive over to the nearest dealership next time some crap happens. Being an engineer and all, I can't just do that. Geeze, my old Chevy Cruze (wife's car now) was more reliable and its had 5 recalls. Never once did it not start.

I let the dealer that I bought it from know how upset I was at being treated like a punk and how they better make sure they have an ECU in stock since I'm only there for three days. Let's hope they don't fail me. Also asked for a new nav screen since mine has its AR coating all looking awful. It was a CPO after all. Shouldn't have been sold like that to me.

At least I can't complain about the ride.

Matt

Last edited by Mrg02d; 05-26-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 09:52 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
I don't know if anyone other than a 2014 owner has reported this issue and it's not just early build dates. I consider early to be cars built in 2013 for the 2014 model year. Mine was built in March 2014 and I had the issue once when the car was 4 months old.
Old 05-30-16, 08:22 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well - it finally happened to me. 2014 IS F Sport model with 30k on the clock.

Drove it to Nashville from Atlanta last week, and it sat for 2 nights. Went to start it Friday morning and nothing. Jumped the battery and luckily was able to get it back to Atlanta - I left it running the entire trip. I didn't want to risk it dying at a rest stop, so I just left it on.

Made it to the dealership, and of course they do the readings on the battery and see it is drawing too power and the readings are jumping all over.

They ordered the new ECU, should get the car back later this week. What a pain...
Old 06-01-16, 10:23 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Going in today for my wife, 4th battery now 3 months dead. Gateway ecu here we come. just wondering who they will put the blame on
Old 06-01-16, 10:46 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I wish they'd issue an "in case it's needed TSB" that would be honored beyond the warranty period. Just in case this happens to '14 owners after the 50K mile mark.
Old 06-02-16, 07:24 AM
markbruner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Fsport Dead battery

We have had the car 2 years, 11k miles. Dead battery 10 times when it sits more than 2 days. Back and forth to dealer. Gateway ECU replaced. This did not fix it.This morning battery dead (my wife took our 17 year old AcureTL with 188,000 miles on it that had been sitting at least a week to work this morning). Lexus coming out to the house to replace the battery. We will let it sit for 3 days and see if it dies again. If it does I am selling this door stop and staying away from Lexus.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)