IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 09:02 PM
Dalva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
For whatever it's worth I'd like to share my experience with battery draining; my second car is a BMW and last month my battery died on me. Since it was a six years old battery I had it changed for a new one, but two days later the same thing happened. When my mechanic checked the car, he found a slow electrical drain from the battery. After investigating thoroughly we concluded that it was the after-market insurance company "Imposed" tracking system called Boomerang was the cause; now, I had discontinued my membership to Boomerang without removing the device which had its own power supply, but since this device was also secured by the cars battery, once its own power supply was depleted it was using the cars battery.
It may or not relate to present discussion but in my Lexus there is no tracking device imposed by my insurance company, since the Lexus is loaded with electronics anything may happen I'm afraid.
Old 07-24-15, 09:34 AM
thegrey
Driver School Candidate

2014 Lexus IS 350 F sport 7000 km, battery died two times over last fall/winter. Boosted car/ charged battery both times with a battery charger. I noticed this stuff happens when I do not drive the car for like 2 weeks (second vehicle and I walk to work).
Old 07-24-15, 11:18 AM
Dalva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thegrey
2014 Lexus IS 350 F sport 7000 km, battery died two times over last fall/winter. Boosted car/ charged battery both times with a battery charger. I noticed this stuff happens when I do not drive the car for like 2 weeks (second vehicle and I walk to work).
Have you got an after-market alarm or a tracking device installed?
Old 08-05-15, 07:23 AM
alvitdk
Driver School Candidate

Is that still an issue with the 2015 IS350 model?

I am traveling quite a bit, and next will be a 6 day to Brazil and a 20 day trip to Europe, would hate to come back to my airport parking spot with a dead battery. I downloaded the Lexus remote app, maybe remote starting it a couple of times will help, if the 10 minutes run time would be enough to top-up the battery?
Old 08-05-15, 07:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don't recall seeing any '15 models showing up here on the list, but nonetheless, I wouldn't worry. For many people, it happens after only one day, so I'm not sure it's related to time sitting, unused. I routinely leave my '14 for weeks at a time and have never had an issue.
Old 08-06-15, 05:10 PM
Striker98
Rookie

Just happened to me for the 2nd time. First was a year ago. This time it died just 1 day after it was not driven. Super frustrating.
Old 08-07-15, 12:04 AM
Jk1686
Driver School Candidate

Default 2014 Lexus IS 350 F sport - battery has died 4 times

So I've finally lost it and had to post. I have a 2014 IS 350 F Sport. My battery just died for the fourth time in my 20 months of ownership. The first time was about 6 months in after 3 days idle. Second was around 10 months in after one day idle. Third was 12 months in after 3 days idle. And fourth was 20 months in after 1 day idle. Every time the battery has died I have had to jump it and take it to the dealer. After the first two occurrences the I figured maybe it was a bad batch of batteries. The dealer of course played it off as such. After the third occurance I finally called corporate and they offered to install the ECU "fix" as many have mentioned previously in the thread. Of course the dealer AGAIN said it was a bad cell but maybe the ECU would fix it. It had been 8 months with the new ECU and of course, my battery was dead for the FOURTH time this week. I jump it and take it into the dealer and they blame it on bad cells AGAIN. I think at this point they can't even lie to me with a straight face. I hate to do it but I'm going to have to try and sell it back. I love the car but this is crazy. I honestly would avoid this car all together until they figure out the real cause.
Old 08-07-15, 05:39 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jk1686
So I've finally lost it and had to post. I have a 2014 IS 350 F Sport. My battery just died for the fourth time in my 20 months of ownership. The first time was about 6 months in after 3 days idle. Second was around 10 months in after one day idle. Third was 12 months in after 3 days idle. And fourth was 20 months in after 1 day idle. Every time the battery has died I have had to jump it and take it to the dealer. After the first two occurrences the I figured maybe it was a bad batch of batteries. The dealer of course played it off as such. After the third occurance I finally called corporate and they offered to install the ECU "fix" as many have mentioned previously in the thread. Of course the dealer AGAIN said it was a bad cell but maybe the ECU would fix it. It had been 8 months with the new ECU and of course, my battery was dead for the FOURTH time this week. I jump it and take it into the dealer and they blame it on bad cells AGAIN. I think at this point they can't even lie to me with a straight face. I hate to do it but I'm going to have to try and sell it back. I love the car but this is crazy. I honestly would avoid this car all together until they figure out the real cause.
Did they replace the battery when they replaced the ECU? They should have, as by the time the battery gets into a state where it can't hold enough a charge t o start the car due to undercharging, at least one or more of cells do in fact have some level of damage.
Old 08-07-15, 09:27 AM
Jk1686
Driver School Candidate

Yes. They've actually changed my battery after every occurrence. And ran tests on the new batteries to make sure they're functioning properly.
Old 08-07-15, 09:42 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jk1686
Yes. They've actually changed my battery after every occurrence. And ran tests on the new batteries to make sure they're functioning properly.
Lemon law?
Old 08-15-15, 06:35 PM
Blkonrd31
Driver School Candidate

I've had this problem once a year every August like clock work since I bought the car in July 2013, I get the car jumped and bring it up to dealer and as usual they say everything is fine and they can't find anything wrong. Unfortunate NJ lemon law is only good for 24 months and the issue has to happen 3 times and of course the 3rd time happend after the 24 month period. The car is at the shop and I called Corporate on them and they were pissed! Now the shop manager has the car and said treat this car like a crime scene, no one in or out or near my car except him.....hopefully they get to the bottom of it
Old 08-17-15, 09:06 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Looks like I'm another victim of battery drain. Battery completely dead this morning the interior lights won't even come on. Should I bring the battery to the dealer to have it tested? I think the battery is still good.
Old 08-17-15, 09:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ I would call roadside assistance and have them get the car to the dealer.
Old 08-17-15, 01:14 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ I would call roadside assistance and have them get the car to the dealer.
So disappointed with Lexus roadside, was on hold for half hr and not able to speak anyone at all. I ended up taking the battery out and took it to the dealer with another car. They gave me a new battery under warranty. Nice service from Magnussen Lexus.

Is this related to battery drain because dealer tested the battery and it's completely busted won't be able to hold a charge. So if it was battery drain issue battery should be still good right?
Old 09-24-15, 04:51 PM
MoabFJ
Driver School Candidate

Default Another 2014 IS350 with battery issues

I finally replaced my 2002 IS300.
Bought it new off of the showroom floor, and put 215,000 trouble free miles on it before selling it to a neighbor.

The reliability of the first Lexus was the key reason for the new 2014 IS350 F-Sport. I had not heard about this battery issue previously, but when my battery went flat after 2 days in the driveway, I found this forum.

After hearing about you guys replacing the factory battery over and over, I went out and bought Interstates flagship AGM battery and replaced the dead Panasonic.

It's only been 7-8 weeks but so far so good. At worst I still have a grey drain, but the better battery is covering it up. At best, maybe these stock batteries are just a flawed design.

Has anyone else replaced the stock battery with an upgraded aftermarket one?

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)