IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 04:35 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
I'm getting the car back today with a new battery, unfortunately they are unable to reproduce the problem, as i suspect there might be a battery drain problem. Corporate is telling me that next time this happens, i should not let AAA jump my car, but to just let them tow the car. To be honest, i don't see any difference, without a TSB on this problem, they can easily claim nothing is wrong based on their tests. As a customer i feel nothing but screwed.
If it happens again, check the battery terminals. There's been a few cars over here in the UK with the battery terminals becoming loose. hence the car wont start. Tighten up the battery terminals and voila, it starts! Even after 6 weeks of sitting.
Old 02-25-15, 05:40 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by link13

This surprises me. When I had the battery drain problem, they sent AAA to jump the car because there were no local techs available at the moment I reported the issue.
The dealership refused to send a tech out.
Old 02-25-15, 05:42 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rayaans

If it happens again, check the battery terminals. There's been a few cars over here in the UK with the battery terminals becoming loose. hence the car wont start. Tighten up the battery terminals and voila, it starts! Even after 6 weeks of sitting.
Thanks but the battery terminal was attached properly.
Old 02-26-15, 06:13 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Default Bad news

ECU/ECM was replaced back in November with supposedly a revised ECU. Dealer installed a battery tender which I do use if the car sits for more than 3-5 days which is rare. I go to start it after sitting for only 2 days, yep dead battery. FYI. this battery is a replacement I got in Nov 14 (aftermarket interstate that the dealer purchased for me since I live out of town). Then 8 days after that battery replacement it dies again with the new battery. Then they ordered the ECU and replaced it a few weeks later.

Drove the 250 miles to the dealer and got a loaner today. I requested one last time to fix and then I will contact Lexus corporate to start the lemon law process.

Service manager said it must be my key fob and said it needs to be AT LEAST 40 feet away. I say BS. The key fob sits in a bowl in my master bedroom.

Thoughts? I am definitely out of this car in Sep 16 but would like out sooner. Am I out the car when I start the lemon law process. Lexus said I have to go thru their corporate to file it and they keep the car during the entire process?????

Also, I am in a 3 year lease ( one pay) and its up in 09-2016. I have no payments until the balloon payoff in Sep 16 or give the vehicle back then. I am requesting they buy it back as it has been defective since day one!

I have had three previous cars (2011 Camry/2012 Camry hybrid/2011 Honda Accord) within the last 3 yrs and all were push button start with navigation, ect. and NOT one problem of the battery draining! Heck, my mom's 2014 Mercedes S550 (135K) sits for weeks on end in her garage and never one problem starting up.

Dealer said they would let it sit till Monday and see if it has drained over the weekend. Will post the results then.

Last edited by sapd911; 02-26-15 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 07:14 PM
radeonboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got stranded for a 2nd time with 7500 miles on the odo. I actually have the '13 GS but I've been facing the same issues.

Originally Posted by sapd911
Service manager said it must be my key fob and said it needs to be AT LEAST 40 feet away. I say BS. The key fob sits in a bowl in my master bedroom.
I'm fairly certain key fob proximity is not the issue, because going by that logic I shouldn't be having these issues (car stored in a parking lot and my home a couple hundred meters away, a dozen or so stories above).

Being in Hong Kong right now I'm not entirely sure what my course of action is. The service center didn't find any issues the first time this has happened, and the market here is so small that they don't care much about smaller issues like this. My '08 ES in Canada never had any issues (even when I left the cabin lights on for 2 days straight more that a handful of times) so I'm somewhat disappointed.

Last edited by radeonboy; 02-26-15 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 03:49 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
ECU/ECM was replaced back in November with supposedly a revised ECU. Dealer installed a battery tender which I do use if the car sits for more than 3-5 days which is rare. I go to start it after sitting for only 2 days, yep dead battery. FYI. this battery is a replacement I got in Nov 14 (aftermarket interstate that the dealer purchased for me since I live out of town). Then 8 days after that battery replacement it dies again with the new battery. Then they ordered the ECU and replaced it a few weeks later.

Drove the 250 miles to the dealer and got a loaner today. I requested one last time to fix and then I will contact Lexus corporate to start the lemon law process.

Thoughts? I am definitely out of this car in Sep 16 but would like out sooner. Am I out the car when I start the lemon law process. Lexus said I have to go thru their corporate to file it and they keep the car during the entire process?????

Also, I am in a 3 year lease ( one pay) and its up in 09-2016. I have no payments until the balloon payoff in Sep 16 or give the vehicle back then. I am requesting they buy it back as it has been defective since day one!

I have had three previous cars (2011 Camry/2012 Camry hybrid/2011 Honda Accord) within the last 3 yrs and all were push button start with navigation, ect. and NOT one problem of the battery draining! Heck, my mom's 2014 Mercedes S550 (135K) sits for weeks on end in her garage and never one problem starting up.

Dealer said they would let it sit till Monday and see if it has drained over the weekend. Will post the results then.
Do you have a 3IS?
Old 02-27-15, 05:21 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Do you have a 3IS?
13 ES350 6700 miles purchased new Sep 2013.
Old 03-02-15, 01:15 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

dealer called today and said there is a battery drain. They said a typical car draws 30-40 milliamps when shut off. They said mine is drawing 400 milleamps. Hopefully they find the problem soon!
Old 03-03-15, 07:03 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Dealer located the drain issue. I have the ultimate package and it comes with a seat extender on the drivers seat. The button was wedged in the on position thus what was causing the battery to drain. lol They are replacing the switch and I will conduct a test after that to make sure, fingers crossed.
Old 03-09-15, 11:35 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Posted a thread on the "official" lexus support forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ery-drain.html

Got a typical "there are no known issues" and "will look into it" response
Old 03-13-15, 06:54 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine died today. Just drove 15 mins last night. Manage to jump start my 3is for an errand run. Can I claim a new battery? My car is around 1.4 years old?
Old 03-14-15, 12:41 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny
Mine died today. Just drove 15 mins last night. Manage to jump start my 3is for an errand run. Can I claim a new battery? My car is around 1.4 years old?
Got a brand new battery. Under warranty. Hopefully it's not the alternator
Old 03-14-15, 06:07 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine died about 8 months ago. Got a jump. Drove around for 1/2 an hour and have not had a problem since. Weird stuff!
Old 03-16-15, 08:20 PM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list to the battery drain. Stopped the car at the gas station to sell off some old stuff. Talked to the guy for 5 minutes and dead batt. Drove around for 1/2 hour. Will take the car in Friday to see whats up.
Old 03-16-15, 10:22 PM
cobbyy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine died 3 times in the first year..

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)