IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Obsidian vs. Nebula Gray

Old 10-06-13, 03:53 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Obsidian vs. Nebula Gray

Couple weeks ago I order my IS350 F-Sport RWD in Obsidian/Rioja Red but now I'm having second thoughts about the exterior color. I'm blaming my wife since she sent me a message stating I should get Nebula Gray to my work this week. Could any owners of these two exterior color help me by posting some pictures? What are things you like and don't like about your color choice?
Old 10-06-13, 04:15 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Couple weeks ago I order my IS350 F-Sport RWD in Obsidian/Rioja Red but now I'm having second thoughts about the exterior color. I'm blaming my wife since she sent me a message stating I should get Nebula Gray to my work this week. Could any owners of these two exterior color help me by posting some pictures? What are things you like and don't like about your color choice?
I had the same problem. My first choice was nebula gray. 2nd was black. After some debating, I went with black and signed the paper. I then saw some atomic silver photos and wanted that but it was to late. Car was already registered at the dmv.

Didnt get gray cause everyone has a gray car here. Seen 2 people with a nebula gray fsport.

After all said and done im happy with black. The ugly grill doesn't stick out too much on a black car. plus the weird body lines and over the top front bumper is less noticeable on black.

Dont forget that when u just wash the car, black looks amazing.

Not my Fsport but my Black Obsidian G35 after it was waxed. I'll try to take some photos of the fsport when I have time to wax the thing.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6162/71330051.png

Last edited by vbx; 10-06-13 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-06-13, 06:00 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a pearl black car once. Never again!
Looks great right after wash and wax, but drive is two miles and it becomes completely dull. Also, factory paint is not wet sanded, so the finish is not 100% mirror flat. One can see the small bumps in the paint that is common when machine spray painting. A black car needs to be sanded properly before clearcoat.
Old 10-06-13, 06:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

I changed my color three times. Started with UWhite/Rioja Red; then Obsidian/Rioja Red, then ultimately to Ultrasonic Blue due to its uniqueness and sporty roots complimenting the F-Sport model. Since I have a Nebula Gray RX F-Sport, I didn't want to get another Lexus same color, although the IS looks great especially with the Red interior. Was a tough choice really since for me since what I realized (and even today) is that the car is a beauty no matter what color. Much like a beautiful woman wears a gorgeous dress showing all the right curves - does it matter what color it is?
Old 10-06-13, 06:45 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
As you can see from the responses so far (and I suspect you know already) there is no absolutely "right" choice here. There is a lot written in the social psychology literature about post decision dissonance. That is, it is part of the human condition to second guess one's decisions. Pick Obsidian, you'll wonder if you should have chosen Nebula. Pick Rioja Red interior, you'll worry that you should havve chosen something more conservative.

Personally, I chose Nebula/Red for my IS on order, but that was my preference. Your choice was Obsidian. You must have had some good reason/gut reactions to have made that choice in the first place.
Old 10-06-13, 08:39 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
I had the same problem. My first choice was nebula gray. 2nd was black. After some debating, I went with black and signed the paper. I then saw some atomic silver photos and wanted that but it was to late. Car was already registered at the dmv.

Didnt get gray cause everyone has a gray car here. Seen 2 people with a nebula gray fsport.

After all said and done im happy with black. The ugly grill doesn't stick out too much on a black car. plus the weird body lines and over the top front bumper is less noticeable on black.

Dont forget that when u just wash the car, black looks amazing.

Not my Fsport but my Black Obsidian G35 after it was waxed. I'll try to take some photos of the fsport when I have time to wax the thing.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6162/71330051.png
Atomic Silver is not available for F-Sport in US. Every car I've owned has been black color so I know that black car will look amazing when it's clean.
Old 10-06-13, 08:43 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CtSFox
As you can see from the responses so far (and I suspect you know already) there is no absolutely "right" choice here. There is a lot written in the social psychology literature about post decision dissonance. That is, it is part of the human condition to second guess one's decisions. Pick Obsidian, you'll wonder if you should have chosen Nebula. Pick Rioja Red interior, you'll worry that you should havve chosen something more conservative.

Personally, I chose Nebula/Red for my IS on order, but that was my preference. Your choice was Obsidian. You must have had some good reason/gut reactions to have made that choice in the first place.
Honestly I went through that process before I ordered because I thought perhaps I could get Nebula Gray this time since I've always had black cars but when I went to test drive it was Nebula Gray and while it did look nice I thought the color in Gray wasn't that striking especially in sunlight! But in some photos including one on Lexus.com it looks really nice. I did also debate if I should go with black interior like my previous Acura and wondered if I would get tired of the red interior after couple years.

I been looking at the YouTube videos of Obsidian and Nebula Gray and I think I still like the Black.

Last edited by SonyHome; 10-06-13 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-06-13, 09:11 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

all my cars for the past 10 years have been black. even living in colorado a good wax and my car looks great for a week!
granted i do have to wash more often but you can't deny black looks awesome!

once you go black, you never go back!

i do like the gray and might consider it because it matches the wheels so good but i prefer black wheels anyway and plan to get the LFA style in black.
Old 10-06-13, 09:36 AM
John510
Lead Lap

I have a black Avalanche and a black camaro. I did not want a black Lexus as I already spend way too much time maintaining the black cars.

Black looks great when you first get it. After a few year it looks like crap. You will see EVERY hairline swirl, rock chip, ding, etc on a black car. If its not perfect you will see it. You can wax it and it may look good until you wash it again. In direct sunlight you will always see the swirls. Black looks better at dusk.

A gray car on the other hand hides most of the swirls, rock chips, etc.

If you plan on only keeping it for a few years and dont mind spending 2 hours washing/waxing your car every week get the black. If you plan on keeping it forever get the gray.
Old 10-06-13, 11:55 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by John510
I have a black Avalanche and a black camaro. I did not want a black Lexus as I already spend way too much time maintaining the black cars. Black looks great when you first get it. After a few year it looks like crap. You will see EVERY hairline swirl, rock chip, ding, etc on a black car. If its not perfect you will see it. You can wax it and it may look good until you wash it again. In direct sunlight you will always see the swirls. Black looks better at dusk. A gray car on the other hand hides most of the swirls, rock chips, etc. If you plan on only keeping it for a few years and dont mind spending 2 hours washing/waxing your car every week get the black. If you plan on keeping it forever get the gray.
My last car which was black was in great condition even after 12 years. One of the main reason I was able to sell it for retail price equivalent to outstanding condition on Edmunds in just 3 days.

Could you post some pictures of you Nebula Gray?
Old 10-06-13, 11:56 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

How do we go about getting Starlight Black in the United States?

Would a special order do it? Would there be any additional cost for the color?
Old 10-06-13, 12:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Get the Obsidian, Nebula Gray is nice, but it's boring and doesn't look as nice as Smokey Granite it replaced
Old 10-06-13, 12:29 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's what you want -- my first gen IS300 was black and I sold it in mint condition a couple of months ago with 220K miles on it to my mechanic -- my IS300 was garaged and covered with a Tan Flannel cover for years -- the black paint on my IS300 continued to turn heads.

I went with the Obsidian and the neck turners have increased .....

My maintenance on the my Obsidian is pretty straightforward:

1. two bucket washing (with grit screens in each bucket
2. I clay'd my car once to remove small bug & road contaminants
3. Waxed with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax
- the one or two spots that required extra treatment (such a minor swirls or droppings) I used Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
4. I have an Xpel clear bra cover on bumper, partial hood, lights and mirrors

Last edited by JerryWest; 10-06-13 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-06-13, 01:25 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JerryWest
It's what you want -- my first gen IS300 was black and I sold it in mint condition a couple of months ago with 220K miles on it to my mechanic -- my IS300 was garaged and covered with a Tan Flannel cover for years -- the black paint on my IS300 continued to turn heads.

I went with the Obsidian and the neck turners have increased .....

My maintenance on the my Obsidian is pretty straightforward:

1. two bucket washing (with grit screens in each bucket
2. I clay'd my car once to remove small bug & road contaminants
3. Waxed with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax
- the one or two spots that required extra treatment (such a minor swirls or droppings) I used Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
4. I have an Xpel clear bra cover on bumper, partial hood, lights and mirrors
Wow, 220k miles!? That's 100k more than my 12 year old car I just sold.

Is there anything you did when you first get it to ensure your paint looks good through out the years? Take it to detailer for few coats of wax?

I did also get factory paint film but then I thought I should have it done locally when the car arrives including the whole hood so you don's see the lines but I don't want to start over with the wait just for that.
Old 10-06-13, 01:41 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Here you go. You can barely see my black truck on the bottom right. Maintaining that size vehicle in black is a major PITA. My next truck will either be silver or white. Dont get me wrong I LOVE black. I just can't spend 2 hours a week maintaining it so I opted for grey (I wanted Atomic on red but epic lexus fail)

Last edited by John510; 10-06-13 at 01:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Obsidian vs. Nebula Gray