IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Obsidian vs. Nebula Gray

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 01:49 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nubula gray looks nice under those bright lights in the YouTube video and the showroom. In real life it falls flat.

I have Starfire Pearl. 2 weeks ago I was about a mile behind a black 3IS and I was like, "Which Lexus is THAT?! It's amazing!" Then when I got right up on it I realized it was a 3IS. It looks awesome in Black, but your front grille won't be distinctive (that's why I chose starfire pearl). As far as maintenance, if you get it professionally washed, clayed, and Opti-Coated right away after you purchase, maintenance will be much easier over time.

If I had to do it over again (or if the RC is ever available in addition to the RC-F) I would get Atomic Silver or Black. After seeing the Atomic Silver on the road I really like it. I really dislike regular silver and the Atomic has really surprised me.
Old 10-06-13, 01:51 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
How do we go about getting Starlight Black in the United States?

Would a special order do it? Would there be any additional cost for the color?
Starlight Black is my favorite! So unique and distinctive. I don't think we can get it in the U.S. even by special order.
Old 10-06-13, 02:20 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Wow, 220k miles!? That's 100k more than my 12 year old car I just sold.

Is there anything you did when you first get it to ensure your paint looks good through out the years? Take it to detailer for few coats of wax?

I did also get factory paint film but then I thought I should have it done locally when the car arrives including the whole hood so you don's see the lines but I don't want to start over with the wait just for that.
The key was the tan flannel car cover from covercraft -- my 2001 IS300 used covercraft PN C16181TF at work for years -- I'm going to get the TF cover as well or my 2014 Obsidian. When I first called them a few weeks ago they didnt have the TF cover ready yet -- now it is available.

Old 10-06-13, 02:42 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryWest
The key was the tan flannel car cover from covercraft -- my 2001 IS300 used covercraft PN C16181TF at work for years -- I'm going to get the TF cover as well or my 2014 Obsidian. When I first called them a few weeks ago they didnt have the TF cover ready yet -- now it is available.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I also stopped using a sponge when washing my car. I just grab a microfiber towel and use that as a "sponge". Easier to work with and rinse off.
Old 10-06-13, 03:01 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G8rGirl
The nubula gray looks nice under those bright lights in the YouTube video and the showroom. In real life it falls flat.

I have Starfire Pearl. 2 weeks ago I was about a mile behind a black 3IS and I was like, "Which Lexus is THAT?! It's amazing!" Then when I got right up on it I realized it was a 3IS. It looks awesome in Black, but your front grille won't be distinctive (that's why I chose starfire pearl). As far as maintenance, if you get it professionally washed, clayed, and Opti-Coated right away after you purchase, maintenance will be much easier over time.

If I had to do it over again (or if the RC is ever available in addition to the RC-F) I would get Atomic Silver or Black. After seeing the Atomic Silver on the road I really like it. I really dislike regular silver and the Atomic has really surprised me.
Thanks for your input. I like the Atomic Silver too better than the regular silver but that is not available for F-Sport in US. I think it was available for Luxury trim.
Old 10-06-13, 03:03 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by John510
Here you go. You can barely see my black truck on the bottom right. Maintaining that size vehicle in black is a major PITA. My next truck will either be silver or white. Dont get me wrong I LOVE black. I just can't spend 2 hours a week maintaining it so I opted for grey (I wanted Atomic on red but epic lexus fail)

Thanks John. I get what you mean about maintenance. I like the color of Nebula Gray when it's not in the sun like darker/shade parts of your picture but when in sun it looks lite to medium purplish to me like the part that's in the sun in your picture.
Old 10-06-13, 03:05 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JerryWest

Wow, you even use that at work? That sounds like a lot of work. Here in MN you put that on you may not be able to get it off if it snows a lot. LOL!

Thank you for sharing the information.
Old 10-06-13, 03:16 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Wow, you even use that at work? That sounds like a lot of work. Here in MN you put that on you may not be able to get it off if it snows a lot. LOL!

Thank you for sharing the information.
The form fitting TF cover from covercraft took about 2 minutes to install and 2 minutes to remove and stow in trunk -- not an issue at all.
Old 10-06-13, 03:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Black looks awesome on this car, but Lexus' Obsidian is ridiculously soft and hard to care for. Any abrasion and it will scratch. Ask "Sydtoosic" who went from a Starfire GS to a Obsidian GS and finally to a Starfire LS.

I love the black, but I'd never get one in black because its just too hard to take care of.
Old 10-06-13, 04:32 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Black looks awesome on this car, but Lexus' Obsidian is ridiculously soft and hard to care for. Any abrasion and it will scratch. Ask "Sydtoosic" who went from a Starfire GS to a Obsidian GS and finally to a Starfire LS.

I love the black, but I'd never get one in black because its just too hard to take care of.
I don't see Starfire Black on Lexus.com. And what do you mean by Obsidian is ridiculously soft?
Old 10-06-13, 04:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Starfire Pearl is the white color on the GS and LS. He went from white to the Obsidian and then back to white. He's an enthusiast detailer and has posted many times about the difficulties living with the Obsidian if you care about having swirl free paint, etc. Search under his username.

Obsidian is soft, meaning it marrs and scratches very easily. Even dragging a dry cloth over the obsidian paint will marr it.
Old 10-06-13, 04:41 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Starfire Pearl is the white color on the GS and LS. He went from white to the Obsidian and then back to white. He's an enthusiast detailer and has posted many times about the difficulties living with the Obsidian if you care about having swirl free paint, etc. Search under his username.

Obsidian is soft, meaning it marrs and scratches very easily. Even dragging a dry cloth over the obsidian paint will marr it.

i have a set of microfibers for drying & polishing-- not one scratch introduced -- i have a lambs wool glove for washing... just use common sense and the right tools...
Old 10-06-13, 04:47 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G8rGirl

I did little research on Opti-Coat 2 and this product seems too good to be true. Basically they are saying once you seal the paint it will last for years. Have you used this and do you like it? Does it really last for years? Is there any detailing place that apply this?
Old 10-06-13, 04:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i have a set of microfibers for drying & polishing-- not one scratch introduced -- i have a lambs wool glove for washing... just use common sense and the right tools..
Normally as someone who has detailed cars for 15 years I would agree with you, but this paint is especially soft. Its going to get rubbed up against in parking lots, washed at the dealer against your wishes, etc and give you fits if your goal is to try and keep it perfect. Like I said, look up threads by sydtoosic and bnlexus and the issues they've had in the 4GS forum.

Its just a lot of work, if you have the time and desire to put into keeping it looking good, then great. I however unfortunately do not anymore...so its silver for me. Not as much fun when its nice and spotless, but overall its a huge stressor off of my daily life not having to worry about a leaf falling on it and scratching it.

I did little research on Opti-Coat 2 and this product seems too good to be true. Basically they are saying once you seal the paint it will last for years. Have you used this and do you like it? Does it really last for years? Is there any detailing place that apply this?
Opticoat is a very good product.
Old 10-06-13, 05:07 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Wow, 220k miles!? That's 100k more than my 12 year old car I just sold.

Is there anything you did when you first get it to ensure your paint looks good through out the years? Take it to detailer for few coats of wax?

I did also get factory paint film but then I thought I should have it done locally when the car arrives including the whole hood so you don's see the lines but I don't want to start over with the wait just for that.

Here's part of my arsenal for taking care of my 2014 Lexus ---

Dark Blue - Dry
Light Blue - Windows
Yellow - Polish
Green - Interior

Quick Reply: Obsidian vs. Nebula Gray