IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How is the OEM "Paint protection film" clear bra quality??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 09:51 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the OEM "Paint protection film" clear bra quality??

Hey 3IS owners, who here got the "Paint protection film" OEM clear bra?

A few questions --

1. How is the quality compared to aftermarket products? For $429, doesnt seem too bad, but is it the same thick film that is on side of the doors?
2. If I dont want it installed @ the port, how do i go about requesting them not to install?
3. Can i request from the dealer NOT to install the bumper applique (that says Lexus on the bumper? Looks tacky)

Thanks for the feedback in advance..
Old 10-07-13, 05:55 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexlude
Hey 3IS owners, who here got the "Paint protection film" OEM clear bra?

A few questions --

1. How is the quality compared to aftermarket products? For $429, doesnt seem too bad, but is it the same thick film that is on side of the doors?
2. If I dont want it installed @ the port, how do i go about requesting them not to install?
3. Can i request from the dealer NOT to install the bumper applique (that says Lexus on the bumper? Looks tacky)

Thanks for the feedback in advance..
I'm interested in knowing about the OEM Paint Protection Film quality also. I added this as an option but if I could without impacting my wait time I would consider removing it.
Old 10-08-13, 07:57 AM
kanphoto
Driver School Candidate

Clear Bra is installed by a third party at the dealer the day before you take delivery. You have to read the fine print... 429 + dealer install fees another $500. I had them do extra stuff - mirrors, headlights and all door handles so the total was 1,360.

My opinion do not have the dealer do it. The F Sport is a very curvy sexy beast and because of this you really need someone that knows what they are doing and can "free hand" a lot of it. And according to my dealer Lexus does not allow the third party to free hand. They have to use the precut kit designed by 3M. If they free hand any of it they won't warranty it. This really pissed me off when I picked up the car because their were a lot of gaps in important areas of the bumper.

The whole thing was done poorly so they agreed to redo it. I had asked to fix the gaps and when I picked it up of course it was not fixed. I asked for my money back and they agreed because everyone at the dealer agreed it was a **** job. I took it to a guy that does all the $$$ cars in Boston and they did the whole job for 650. Half the price of the Stealership and now it covers 100% of the bumper with 0% flaws!
Old 10-08-13, 08:19 AM
TyGreeny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kanphoto
Clear Bra is installed by a third party at the dealer the day before you take delivery. You have to read the fine print... 429 + dealer install fees another $500. I had them do extra stuff - mirrors, headlights and all door handles so the total was 1,360.

My opinion do not have the dealer do it. The F Sport is a very curvy sexy beast and because of this you really need someone that knows what they are doing and can "free hand" a lot of it. And according to my dealer Lexus does not allow the third party to free hand. They have to use the precut kit designed by 3M. If they free hand any of it they won't warranty it. This really pissed me off when I picked up the car because their were a lot of gaps in important areas of the bumper.

The whole thing was done poorly so they agreed to redo it. I had asked to fix the gaps and when I picked it up of course it was not fixed. I asked for my money back and they agreed because everyone at the dealer agreed it was a **** job. I took it to a guy that does all the $$$ cars in Boston and they did the whole job for 650. Half the price of the Stealership and now it covers 100% of the bumper with 0% flaws!
This is not true at all dealers.

At Sewell, they have a film cutting machine and full time technicians who install tint and clear bras (among other things.)

Last edited by TyGreeny; 10-08-13 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-08-13, 08:44 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Agreed going to try to push them not to install the port option and have it done with a professional.