IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bracket holes on F Sport front grill.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-13, 03:20 PM
StitchJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bracket holes on F Sport front grill.

Hi Everyone. I am close to buying an IS350 F Sport from an out of state dealer. the only problem is that they have their license plates on the front and when they receive the car for inspection they drill two holes in the front. The dealership will remove the bracket, but two small holes will be left on the front. I'm being told it's barely noticeable, but the fact that it is noticeable bothers me. Has anyone come across this? Does anyone have a picture of what these holes in the front may look like?
Old 10-04-13, 03:59 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StitchJ
Hi Everyone. I am close to buying an IS350 F Sport from an out of state dealer. the only problem is that they have their license plates on the front and when they receive the car for inspection they drill two holes in the front. The dealership will remove the bracket, but two small holes will be left on the front. I'm being told it's barely noticeable, but the fact that it is noticeable bothers me. Has anyone come across this? Does anyone have a picture of what these holes in the front may look like?
It's noticeable if you look at it closely and try to look for it.
Aside from that you can barely notice it.
Mine was still shrink wrapped and didn't have any damage to it, so it was never drilled.

I ended up making a magnet mount for my license plate.
It's mounted directly on the license plate frame that I epoxied to form a nice mold.
I've only tested the mount for a week, then I took it off, haven't had the front plate on since.

The magnets are very strong earth magnets and can pinch you so well that your flesh will rip.
But used on the back of the grill, it sticks very well. Nice clean look without damaging the grill.

Many people just drill it, because you'll probably end up with normal wear and tear on the grill the more you drive your car.
Old 10-04-13, 04:14 PM
StitchJ
Driver School Candidate

I'm checking with a Maryland dealership now that has the color combo I want also but they do front plates too. I'm checking with them to see how they mount them. Maybe they don't drill holes like Virginia does. I'm in North Carolina and we just have back plates.

If I'm going to spend 45k plus i definitely don't want to see holes on the front grill if I don't have to.

Last edited by StitchJ; 10-04-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-04-13, 05:06 PM
StitchJ
Driver School Candidate

I also wonder how much it would cost to just buy another front grill and replace the current one later if it really bothers me?
Old 10-04-13, 05:29 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat as you. I was in shock to walk into the dealership and see a license plate already mounted on my reserved car. Every dealer I've been to before ask you if you want it mounted and they make you sign a waiver if you don't. I almost walked out on the deal. I'm glad I didn't.

I had them remove it and they buffed it out and I can't even notice them. As others have said you really have to look for them. If I don't point it out to people no one would know. Its really a non issue.
Old 10-04-13, 08:25 PM
markb3
Driver

My dealer did not have the color combo I wanted and had to order the car. I mentioned that I won't make a deal if there are front plates mounted. I was promised it would not be. When I came for pickup today, it was not mounted and the sales guy handed me the front plate and I didn't have to sign a waiver or anything. I live in Ontario which requires front plates and is an approx $110 ticket for not having it. Saying that, I have the Grimmspeed tow hook bracket I plan to install this weekend even tho I really want to keep it without plates!
Old 10-04-13, 09:05 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is drilled but the grill itself is so busy already that you have to know where the holes are to see it.
Old 10-04-13, 09:38 PM
StitchJ
Driver School Candidate

Big thanks to amoney for sending me a few pics of his front grill. It helped me to make the decision to move ahead with my purchase. Putting a deposit down tomorrow and picking the car up next Saturday as I have to be in NY for work all next week. Knowing my car is waiting for me is going to make it a loooong week.
Old 10-05-13, 12:37 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

In some states, you may find that while you are required to have a plate on the front, that the law does not state specifically that it has to be the same plate that you get issued at the DMV, only that it is readable. I am not kidding. In other state that I used to live in, I thought that the state-issued plate was ugly, and I replaced it with a plate that I actually made. I used retro-reflective tape on it and made certain that it was just as readable as the issued plate, and that it looked similar to the issued plate, and that the lettering was just as big, and of course I had the little stickers. I never had any hassle from law enforcement. I'm not sure what I would do on the front of F-sport car, but I certainly would not want to have to stick one of those ugly, ugly plates on there. I would investigate every possible alternative. For example, I would consider trimming the state-issue plate so that it is barely larger than the numbers, and has just enough room for the little stickers. And some sort of frame is essential regardless.
Old 10-05-13, 06:23 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

No problem! Thats what the community is for. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 10-07-13, 08:38 AM
JonTheFish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StitchJ
In CA, mine came with the bracket already drilled in as well and I just removed it myself. Here's one picture taken in the shade and one taken in the sun. In the sun it's much more noticeable, but I actually haven't had ONE person notice or point the holes out to me yet (I've had the car for 3 months now).
Attached Thumbnails Bracket holes on F Sport front grill.-pic1.jpg   Bracket holes on F Sport front grill.-pic2.jpg  
Old 10-07-13, 01:28 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Mine came with holes drilled...which I absolutely HATE. Also, they screwed the bracket in so tight there are marks on my grill from the plate holder. I just ordered the bottom portion of the grill from Sewell on saturday which will make it look new and I'll install myself. Cost was $151 shipped....to me it's worth the holes not being there as well as the dents/marks.