IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Canada IS350 F Sport - RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 06:57 AM
cal0104
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canada IS350 F Sport - RWD vs AWD

I'm trying to decide whether to go with a RWD or an AWD car. I've read that RWD has a better driving experience. But at the same time, I'm kinda concerned with the snow here in Canada. Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-13, 07:04 AM
Gee37S
Driver School Candidate

I'm currently shopping for a new car and have my eyes set on the IS350 F-sport. I was in a similar situation as you were in in the past and went with a RWD G37S and did not regret it one bit. I did get stuck in snow a few times because of the snow removal trucks while parked on the street but I keep a shovel in my trunk.

The main reason I would not get an IS350 with the AWD is because of the transmission. It has a 6 speed whereas the RWD has the better 8 speed transmission. I went through 4 years of canadian winter with a RWD I'm sure you can do it too !
Old 10-03-13, 07:06 AM
palidino
Rookie

Originally Posted by cal0104
I'm trying to decide whether to go with a RWD or an AWD car. I've read that RWD has a better driving experience. But at the same time, I'm kinda concerned with the snow here in Canada. Any thoughts?
Did you move from NY to canada? I assume u live in ontario?

I can tell from experience in toronto RWD with dedicated winter tires is just fine. Ottawa has a lot more snow in the winter times. But i manage to get around with RWD and winter tires.

Its not as bad as people think. I only got stuck twice last winter. one is on my house streets because its not plowed and i attempted to still get out in like 25cm of snow hahaha. the snow was to high for the car to plow through. the second time is in the city going uphill. traffic stopped when i was in the middle of the hill so the wheels wouldnt gain traction to push me up instead i started sliding down but i just pulled to the shoulder of the road and got my buddies to push me up hill
Old 10-03-13, 08:24 AM
WWM
Rookie

RWD with winter tires is fine. The only situations that are untenable are blizzard conditions when the roads haven't been plowed.

I survived last winter with a BMW 135i with run flat winter tires. Even with the **** winter we had I didn't have any big issues. The only problem in moderate snow is off the line traction, but it's still drivable. It's also incredibly fun on empty roads/parking lots.
Old 10-03-13, 12:05 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess it depends on where in Canada you reside as well as your experience with RWD. For me who has owned the previous 2 generations of IS with RWD (IS300 and IS350), I have maintained the RWD configuration for the 3rd IS.

In Greater Toronto Area, the winter is not so bad in general. But for blizzard which occurs quite often in area such as Barrie, AWD is more practical.

You do need a very good pair of winter tire set as well as stay more cautious and conservative when the snow hits the road. Of course, I get stuck from time to time but it is only 2-3% of the time and personally I can live with that. Another consideration is would anyone else in your family who might drive the car in the winter? Then more consideration needs to be made for your family safety in case you are not the driver in the winter.

For 2014 Canadian IS, the struggles I have is the availability of certain equipment - in particular, Mark Levinson, LED twin headlamp with automatic high beam. They are not available in RWD but AWD non F Sport.

Just my 2 cents. Everyone's situation is different.
Old 10-03-13, 12:12 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not Canada, but it's close, I grew up in New England. I made it through plenty of winters with RWD cars (mostly an RX-7, also a Miata). Snow tires help tremendously, of course.
Old 10-03-13, 12:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
I guess it depends on where in Canada you reside as well as your experience with RWD. For me who has owned the previous 2 generations of IS with RWD (IS300 and IS350), I have maintained the RWD configuration for the 3rd IS.

In Greater Toronto Area, the winter is not so bad in general. But for blizzard which occurs quite often in area such as Barrie, AWD is more practical.

You do need a very good pair of winter tire set as well as stay more cautious and conservative when the snow hits the road. Of course, I get stuck from time to time but it is only 2-3% of the time and personally I can live with that. Another consideration is would anyone else in your family who might drive the car in the winter? Then more consideration needs to be made for your family safety in case you are not the driver in the winter.

For 2014 Canadian IS, the struggles I have is the availability of certain equipment - in particular, Mark Levinson, LED twin headlamp with automatic high beam. They are not available in RWD but AWD non F Sport.

Just my 2 cents. Everyone's situation is different.
Agree with AndyL and all the things to consider. A thing to add is that snowfall varies considerably depending on where you live in Canada. Having lived in Montreal for most of my life, AWD is strongly recommended there, almost a must. Snowfall average throughout winter there is ~ 200 cm (85 in) while in the GTA it's less than half that. Seeing you'd lose out on the ISF derived 8-speed, for me, it would be a tough sell to get the 350 AWD in the GTA as you'd have the standard 6-speed. Also, if you can work from home or avoid the rare heavy snow fall days, my vote is for the RWD with a good set of winters.
Old 10-03-13, 12:44 PM
markb3
Driver

I live in Toronto and decided to go with the AWD 350. I personally don't care about the car being 8 vs 6 transmission. I feel safer with AWD and on those days where it's snowing a lot, yes the streets get plowed quickly. Thats the main street of course. Will you be able to even pull out of your home onto a main street? The answer for me is no. Also we have a garage at the back of the house and a long driveway. I'd rather drive out of it without plowing if I'm in a rush than spinning out and hitting either the house or fence.

If the 8 speed matters for you then you should be willing to sacrifice that for AWD.
Old 10-03-13, 01:00 PM
ddb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get fooled by the "better" 8-speed Transmission. The only thing is actually better on it compared to the 6-speed is just the gas consumption.

Wen it comes to gearing, the 6-speed is the winner as it has one of the most aggressive gearing I've seen for a luxury vehicle. The "kick" feeling on the new 3IS 8-speed is not the same as the old 2IS 6-speed But you will be saving on gas on the long run as it keeps you on a very efficient RPM range when driving in normal mode and even better when in ECO mode. Sport mode (and Sport+) is a different beast, you will spend actually more gas than the 6-speed Sport mode for what I can see.

So it comes down to safety and performance on cold weather/rain/snow. For that, the AWD is the winner. but the RWD can also be OK is you are careful and avoid driving on heavy snow. of course, I know people who drive RWD sport cars on snow and actually say they love it... so it is up to each person I guess.

Don't forget, the safest will be AWD but at gas and power expense (is the heavies of all models, has the 6-speed transmission and lots of torque is given away on the AWD system).

Good luck.
Old 10-03-13, 04:59 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I live in Minnesota and I actually went through the same thought process. I decided on the IS350 F Sport RWD. Here are some things I considered.

1. You get 8 speed sport direct shift, directly from IS-F with G force Artificial Intelligence
2. VGRS with Power Tilt
3. Better gas mileage
4. Most if not all good reviews are based on the RWD
5. You may need to get second rim and snow tires on AWD for winter anyway due to wider tires on the back. I haven't decided but I'm thinking of getting 18x8 (225/40/18) all the way around. Factory setup has 255/35/18 in the rear.

I've always had front wheel drive with all-season tires and never been stuck. I think with good winter tires I would expect the same with IS350 F Sport RWD. It also has snow mode so I think that will help also.
Old 10-04-13, 05:04 AM
Gee37S
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ddb
Don't get fooled by the "better" 8-speed Transmission. The only thing is actually better on it compared to the 6-speed is just the gas consumption.
I'd have to disagree, the 8 speed is coming off of the Lexus IS-F which is meant to handle a lot more power. I can't compare both transmissions because I haven't driven both of them. However, many, if not all the reviews I've read or watched in regards to the IS350 claim that the transmission is a huge part of the success story this car has had. For instance, the new GS350 F SPORT RWD has the 6 speed transmission and it has received some criticism because of that. The 8 speed transmission has aggressive 1-2-3 gear ratios as well as high 7-8 gears, allowing it to be quick off the line and maintain good fuel economy.

Anyhow, one would have to drive both cars back to back to really get a true feel for both transmissions. Both options seem like a good choice but for me, the RWD is the way to go.
Old 10-04-13, 08:10 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Toronto barely sees winter. ANd if snows, you have the army to dig you out.

That being said, resale of an RWD car will be much more difficult in Canada. More than 80% of sales in compact lux market are AWD.
Old 10-04-13, 03:29 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gee37S
I'd have to disagree, the 8 speed is coming off of the Lexus IS-F which is meant to handle a lot more power. I can't compare both transmissions because I haven't driven both of them. However, many, if not all the reviews I've read or watched in regards to the IS350 claim that the transmission is a huge part of the success story this car has had. For instance, the new GS350 F SPORT RWD has the 6 speed transmission and it has received some criticism because of that. The 8 speed transmission has aggressive 1-2-3 gear ratios as well as high 7-8 gears, allowing it to be quick off the line and maintain good fuel economy.

Anyhow, one would have to drive both cars back to back to really get a true feel for both transmissions. Both options seem like a good choice but for me, the RWD is the way to go.
I also read that IS-F 8 speed is build to last very long time! Also read that 2014 GS F-Sport RWD is getting the 8 speed no doubt same one from IS-F others will get 6 speed.
Old 10-04-13, 03:32 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrraider
Toronto barely sees winter. ANd if snows, you have the army to dig you out.

That being said, resale of an RWD car will be much more difficult in Canada. More than 80% of sales in compact lux market are AWD.
That would be the biggest drawl and you may have to throw in your second rims to entice the buyers. I'm planning to get second set of rims and give my car later to my kids so it should be no problem for me.
Old 04-07-14, 08:39 AM
Furge
Rookie

Originally Posted by ddb

Wen it comes to gearing, the 6-speed is the winner as it has one of the most aggressive gearing I've seen for a luxury vehicle. The "kick" feeling on the new 3IS 8-speed is not the same as the old 2IS 6-speed But you will be saving on gas on the long run as it keeps you on a very efficient RPM range when driving in normal mode and even better when in ECO mode. Sport mode (and Sport+) is a different beast, you will spend actually more gas than the 6-speed Sport mode for what I can see.

So it comes down to safety and performance on cold weather/rain/snow. For that, the AWD is the winner. but the RWD can also be OK is you are careful and avoid driving on heavy snow. of course, I know people who drive RWD sport cars on snow and actually say they love it... so it is up to each person I guess.

Don't forget, the safest will be AWD but at gas and power expense (is the heavies of all models, has the 6-speed transmission and lots of torque is given away on the AWD system).

Good luck.
Actually, the 8 speed is FAR better than the 6. It's not just about fuel economy. The 8 keeps the power flowing faster and more smoothly. The 8 also seems to shift faster.

This alone will make a big difference

Quick Reply: Canada IS350 F Sport - RWD vs AWD