IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS nominated fro car of the year!

Old 10-02-13, 11:36 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Disagree. I think it's also about making a big improvement and a statement. Previous Vettes were impressive too, not sure they are that much improved because they were already great. The 3IS marks a HUGE improvement over previous model and will shake up the market segment. I think that is more important of a consideration.
Old 10-03-13, 01:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

I too think "America's sweetheart" will win. However, for most improved sport sedan, I'd put the IS350 on top (not the 250). At least it's got a good shot at winning a position in Car and Driver's Ten Best list. Doesn't sound like the BMW 3-series is holding it's ground anymore (from what I read).
Also think the new Accord should win awards this year. In the history of the model, I've never seen so many new ones flood the roads as quickly as I'm seeing this one.
Old 10-03-13, 08:56 AM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is Tesla Model S not on that list? They should have at least been nominated if not in the Top 3 winners.
Old 10-03-13, 09:13 AM
Tone2002
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Corvette will win. All that performance and nice interior too now. You think IS gauge is great, take a look at the Stingray gauge! All that and 30 MPG. If I live in a place where you can drive this all year around I would definitely buy this.
The bolded part.
Old 10-03-13, 11:27 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by John510
Why is Tesla Model S not on that list? They should have at least been nominated if not in the Top 3 winners.
Agreed. If i had the ability to charge my car at home, I'd have bought a Model S instead of the IS300h.
Old 10-03-13, 06:18 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azmojo
Disagree. I think it's also about making a big improvement and a statement. Previous Vettes were impressive too, not sure they are that much improved because they were already great. The 3IS marks a HUGE improvement over previous model and will shake up the market segment. I think that is more important of a consideration.
C7 Corvette Stingray is completely different than previous version. They have new engine, transmission, interior and exterior! It's much better in my opinion.

Old 10-03-13, 08:29 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine what the Z07 will be like...
Old 10-03-13, 09:01 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John510

I agree however a Telsa did go up in flames yesterday
Old 10-03-13, 09:32 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I'd have to agree that the Vette wins it. By the way the Tesla went up in flames after an accident and the flames spread slowly as a result of the collision. According to reports the safety gear worked as designed.

However, the Deutsche Bank team also offers a few reasons why damage to investor perceptions of Tesla vehicles' safety should be mitigated:
After 83 million miles of Model S driving, 12 significant accidents, and extreme crash-testing by U.S. Safety regulators, this is the first fire in a Tesla vehicle. Although more details are needed on the exact reasons behind this incident, and it would certainly be best to completely eliminate the chance of a fire, Tesla believes that the frequency in which an accident propagates a fire is similar in an internal combustion vehicle.
The fire resulted from a collision. If this had been a spontaneous incident with no catalyst (i.e. in someone’s garage), the impact would be significantly worse.
This was not an explosion. The fire started gradually and the vehicle performed as designed in terms of protecting the driver and providing ample warning.
Tesla’s ability to monitor the vehicle systems remotely will enable a detailed report on the root cause of the incident. We believe that the company will and should provide as much information as possible.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/deuts...#ixzz2giyxceit
Old 10-04-13, 11:43 AM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome and funny note on the TESLA a co worker has a black tesla and his alarm went off during a thunderstorm during work and well for some reason it lowered all his windows and the car got soaked lol it was actually a bit funny but sucks to see it happen
Old 10-05-13, 01:19 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, whose list is this? Is this list and the winner selected by one magazine? Why don't all the magazines get to pick? Do they have alternative lists? Do we get to vote? Are there other lists that we can vote in? Given all of these questions, doesn't it look like the sort of thing that is bought and paid for under the table? No? How do you know? How do you know it isn't the manufacturer who buys the most advertising? Is a Certified Public Accounting firm hired to assure that it is done properly and fairly? But if you don't know how the car is selected, why would it matter?