IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F Sport Rims: Can I use 4 front rims (18x8)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 08:19 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F Sport Rims: Can I use 4 front rims (18x8)?

For my winter rims I'm thinking of using 4 front F Sport factory rims (18x8) all the way around. Since the stock rims are staggered with 18x8.5 on the rear will this work without any special adjustment?

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2014/6287.html

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SonyHome; 09-29-13 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 04:19 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using the 8" rim in the rear is no problem.

The stock 8,5" has an offset of 50, while the stock 8" rim has an offset of 45.
0,5" is 12,7 millimeters.

So if the offset had been 50 for the 8" rim, the rim would have been 6,35 millimeteres narrower on each side making the the wheel stick out 6,35 millimeters less. Then the gap from rim to the arch would have been 6,35 millimeters wider than stock.

But since the offset of the 8" rim is 45, not 50, you can take away 5 millimeters from the 6,35 millimeters. So that leaves 1,35 millimeters on the outside. These 1,35 millimeters shows how much narrower the wheel will be from the arch than the stock 8,5" wheel.

The difference will be visible on the inside mostly, where you have to ad the 5 millimeteres because you have changed the offset. There the wheel is 11,35 milimeteres narrower than stock 8,5" inch.
In other words about 11 millimeters more distance to the shock and spring than the stock one. This is not a problem at all.

So the 8" rim will most certanly fit in the rear. It will not look strange either.

The only issue you will have with narrower wheels in the back is less traction when it is not snow on the roads.
It will make the car more sensitive to oversteer beacuse of narrower wheels in the back.
Old 09-30-13, 05:48 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magne
Using the 8" rim in the rear is no problem.

The stock 8,5" has an offset of 50, while the stock 8" rim has an offset of 45.
0,5" is 12,7 millimeters.

So if the offset had been 50 for the 8" rim, the rim would have been 6,35 millimeteres narrower on each side making the the wheel stick out 6,35 millimeters less. Then the gap from rim to the arch would have been 6,35 millimeters wider than stock.

But since the offset of the 8" rim is 45, not 50, you can take away 5 millimeters from the 6,35 millimeters. So that leaves 1,35 millimeters on the outside. These 1,35 millimeters shows how much narrower the wheel will be from the arch than the stock 8,5" wheel.

The difference will be visible on the inside mostly, where you have to ad the 5 millimeteres because you have changed the offset. There the wheel is 11,35 milimeteres narrower than stock 8,5" inch.
In other words about 11 millimeters more distance to the shock and spring than the stock one. This is not a problem at all.

So the 8" rim will most certanly fit in the rear. It will not look strange either.

The only issue you will have with narrower wheels in the back is less traction when it is not snow on the roads.
It will make the car more sensitive to oversteer beacuse of narrower wheels in the back.
Do you think I should just go with stock staggered setup for winter? I was thinking 225/40/18 & 255/40/18. Will the 255 in the back be that much worse for snow?
Old 09-30-13, 06:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont you want skinnier tires for the snow so they dig in instead of float on top of the snow
Old 09-30-13, 07:44 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
dont you want skinnier tires for the snow so they dig in instead of float on top of the snow
I think 225/40/18 would be fine.

For some reason Sewell Parts recommends that I stay at the factory size for the rears for winter which is 255/35/18. I'm bit confused now since I was told by some I should go with same size tires all the way around.

Also I believe AWD F Sport is using 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 All-Season tires which people will most likely use during winter also.

Last edited by SonyHome; 09-30-13 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 08:26 AM
magne
Lead Lap

There is no problem with using 225 allround.
I'm doing it on my f-sport, and the cheaper packages also have 225\45-17 allround.

when tarmac is wet, you'll get less grip with 225 than with 255. When there is snow 225 will digg better down in the snow than 255.
So what you should choose depends a lot of how the roads are in the winter where you live.
If you don't have much snow, and the snow never is deep. Go for 255 if you can afford it.
If there generally is about 4-5" of snow svereal months of the winter. Go for 225.

No reason to listen to sewel, as they probably only say what they say to avoid any arguments later on.
Old 09-30-13, 09:33 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Roads are serviced very well in winters so usually we will not have snow on the roads for very long.

But it's possible to be driving through few inches while it maybe snowing same day.

I understand 225 would be better but are you still able to drive in snow with 255 or are you gonna be stuck?

I really doubt most people with AWD F Sport would be swapping their rear all-season tires to thinner or even snow tires.
Old 09-30-13, 12:05 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Form my experience, and I live in Norway where we have lots and lots of snow, the biggest difference in traction with wider tires are in deep snow and slush when driving in higher speeds.

About the same as with aqua planing. Easier to get with wider tires at high speeds.

So no, you will probably not get stuck. But you might skid of the road if you don't drive carefully when it is slippery.

We don't have AWD in europe for the IS. So here everyone that lives in the northern part will change to dedicaded winter tires in the winter. But then again, our winters are like the canadian and alaskan winters. Almost noone in europe uses all season tires. They are rubbish in the winter and in the summer.
My dealership actually recomended 225\45-17 for the winter tires instead of 18" wheels. Also for the f-sport.

Furthermore, the tire brand matter more than the size of the tires.
So a good set of wide tires from a top brand will be better than narrow tires from some cheap brand, even if it is very slippery on the road.
Considering the kind of tire you talked about in the other thread, I'll say your winters are mild and not much snow lay around. So I don't believe you'll have any problems with wide tires where you live.

Here in the northern parts of europe (scandinavia), we have completly different winter tires than what they have further south like Germany and switzerland.
Our tires preform a lot better on snow and ice, but a lot poorer on wet tarmac and temperatures over 0 celcius. Our winter tires are ment to be driven in snow and sub zero temperatures. We change back to summer tires as soon as the temperatures gets over 5 degrees and the snow melt away form the roads.
Many people, that live outside of the city here, use studded winter tires becuase the roads are covered with snow for 3-5 months every winter.

If you have the kind of winters I believe you do, you'll be just fine with 255 wide tires. However, should you experience a lot of snow (10-20") some days of the year, let the car stay at home those days with 255 wide tires.
Since you have completely different tires in the US than we do in the EU, I can only speak of brands not the kind of tires you should get from each brand.

Top notch brand when it comes to winter tires are continental and nokian. However i'm not sure if they sell nokian tires in the US.
Old 09-30-13, 12:14 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Form my experience, and I live in Norway where we have lots and lots of snow, the biggest difference in traction with wider tires are in deep snow and slush when driving in higher speeds.

About the same as with aqua planing. Easier to get with wider tires at high speeds.

So no, you will probably not get stuck. But you might skid of the road if you don't drive carefully when it is slippery.

We don't have AWD in europe for the IS. So here everyone that lives in the northern part will change to dedicaded winter tires in the winter. But then again, our winters are like the canadian and alaskan winters. Almost noone in europe uses all season tires. They are rubbish in the winter and in the summer.
My dealership actually recomended 225\45-17 for the winter tires instead of 18" wheels. Also for the f-sport.

Furthermore, the tire brand matter more than the size of the tires.
So a good set of wide tires from a top brand will be better than narrow tires from some cheap brand, even if it is very slippery on the road.
Considering the kind of tire you talked about in the other thread, I'll say your winters are mild and not much snow lay around. So I don't believe you'll have any problems with wide tires where you live.

Here in the northern parts of europe (scandinavia), we have completly different winter tires than what they have further south like Germany and switzerland.
Our tires preform a lot better on snow and ice, but a lot poorer on wet tarmac and temperatures over 0 celcius. Our winter tires are ment to be driven in snow and sub zero temperatures. We change back to summer tires as soon as the temperatures gets over 5 degrees and the snow melt away form the roads.
Many people, that live outside of the city here, use studded winter tires becuase the roads are covered with snow for 3-5 months every winter.

If you have the kind of winters I believe you do, you'll be just fine with 255 wide tires. However, should you experience a lot of snow (10-20") some days of the year, let the car stay at home those days with 255 wide tires.
Since you have completely different tires in the US than we do in the EU, I can only speak of brands not the kind of tires you should get from each brand.

Top notch brand when it comes to winter tires are continental and nokian. However i'm not sure if they sell nokian tires in the US.
Winter in MN can get ~80 inches of snow but they clear the roads usually by next day and spray a lot of salt to keep it from freezing. It's possible to get little bit of packed snow on some parts of the road if people drove on it before it was cleared.

If I go with 255 then most likely I'll be going with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Also since they don't have the 255/35/18 tire in this model so I'll have to go with 255/40/18. Would 40 vs 35 mess up my speed and distance meter? How much?
Old 09-30-13, 12:41 PM
magne
Lead Lap

35 profile vs 40 profile will be a difference of 4%. This might be a bit much. Speedometer will show 63 miles instead of 60.
Try to find 235\40 or just go with 225\40 and 18x8" on all wheels to get this correct.
I would probably go with 225 alround just beacuse noone makes wintertires in 255\35.

When it comes to winter tires there are a lot more to choose from in 45 profile.
Thats another reason I went with the 225\45-17.

Bridgestone does not make very good winter tires, but they are still better than the cheap chineese tires.

If I where you I would really consider 17" rims instead. Have them powdercoated in the grey color if you really want them grey.
Much better tires to choose from when it comes to winter tires.
Old 09-30-13, 06:30 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

35 profile vs 40 profile will be a difference of 4%. This might be a bit much. Speedometer will show 63 miles instead of 60.
Try to find 235\40 or just go with 225\40 and 18x8" on all wheels to get this correct.
I would probably go with 225 alround just beacuse noone makes wintertires in 255\35.

When it comes to winter tires there are a lot more to choose from in 45 profile.

Bridgestone does not make very good winter tires, but they are still better than the cheap chineese tires.

If I where you I would really consider 17" rims instead. Have them powdercoated in the grey color if you really want them grey.
Since factory tires are 255/35/18 on the rear I will have this issue even if I went with 225/40/18 all the way around.

Is Lexus's speed and mileage measured off the rear wheel or front wheel?

Last edited by SonyHome; 09-30-13 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-01-13, 01:16 AM
magne
Lead Lap

225\40-18 has the same diameter as 255\35-18.
245\40 or 255\40 has a larger diameter.

So if you go for 225 allround you will not have the problem.

I don't know where the speed sensor is located, but I would guess in the gear box. So the rear wheels then.
Old 10-04-13, 03:44 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Does that also mean you get more mileage than actual?
Old 10-04-13, 05:29 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Does that also mean you get more mileage than actual?
Yes, you probably will.

But I'm not sure about that because I don't know if the odometer and speedometer runds on the same circut, and if they are somehow linked into the nav system.
You'll have to ask a lexus technician about this.
Old 08-28-16, 03:32 AM
hohohong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've a 2015 IS250 AWD F-sport. Everything stock.

I always thought my rear is 255/40/18. So, I bought a set of

Front: 225/40/18
Rear: 255/40/18

A day after I bought it, I realized that my rear is actually 255/35/18.

Now, using stock 225/40/18 in the front, can I still use that 255/40/18 on the rear? How will it affect the safety, performance? Will it rub?

Thanks advance for all your inputs.

Quick Reply: F Sport Rims: Can I use 4 front rims (18x8)?