IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

NAVIGATION SLOWNESS- Resolved

Old 10-15-13, 03:52 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the 8500 update?

I just contacted my dealership(Longo Lexus).

They have no idea what i'm talking about.

How do they not even figure when using; the interface seems like 2006 technology. :|
Old 10-15-13, 04:12 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

new HW and SW = buggy code.. don't worry it sounds like Lexus cares and will release updates. from what redcupr says, it seems as though 8500 is much faster which is hopefully the case.

i work in software, so i know how a couple severe bugs can really hurt the user experience. as long as they are coming out with updates though is all we can hope for!
Old 10-15-13, 04:21 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlude
new HW and SW = buggy code.. don't worry it sounds like Lexus cares and will release updates. from what redcupr says, it seems as though 8500 is much faster which is hopefully the case.

i work in software, so i know how a couple severe bugs can really hurt the user experience. as long as they are coming out with updates though is all we can hope for!
Alexlude, since you work in software: Why are some updates available from the internet, while for others you have to go to the dealer for a physical installation?
Old 10-15-13, 04:31 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So no testing necessary. Just release and let the consumers be the beta testers. Complete fail.
Old 10-15-13, 04:35 PM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer performed the update a couple weeks ago. It's not lightning quick, but a noticeable improvement when navigating menus.
Old 10-15-13, 04:44 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Alexlude, since you work in software: Why are some updates available from the internet, while for others you have to go to the dealer for a physical installation?
Not exactly sure - it might be a timing issue (they want update out quickly) vs they (Lexus) wants the dealer to install it to prevent malicious updates to be installed onto your navi which may cause irreparable damage...

Originally Posted by vbx
So no testing necessary. Just release and let the consumers be the beta testers. Complete fail.
I'm sure testing was done, but there is always a deadline to meet. There is no such thing as software released with ZERO bugs. I'm not vouching for Lexus' software Quality Assurance team, but from the sounds of folks in this forum, it looks like a bunch of Prioirity 1 bugs were released for the production version (which is bad) but i'm sure some testing was done.. but maybe not enough...

Originally Posted by carderoni
My dealer performed the update a couple weeks ago. It's not lightning quick, but a noticeable improvement when navigating menus.
that update was probably v10a8400. There is a new v10a8500 which seemed to be released a day or two ago. Can you confirm if you have 8400 vs 8500.??

I'm just happy that their SW dev team are addressing the issues and hopefully making the system better sooner than later.
Old 10-15-13, 04:50 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not exactly sure - it might be a timing issue (they want update out quickly) vs they (Lexus) wants the dealer to install it to prevent malicious updates to be installed onto your navi which may cause irreparable damage...

I'm just happy that their SW dev team are addressing the issues and hopefully making the system better sooner than later.
Thanks for your response Alexlude. Also, I'm with you. I'm glad that Lexus is responding systematically and effectively in a timely manner. Mine is being built next Monday, so keep the updates rolling, Lexus!
Old 10-15-13, 05:06 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redcupr
Ok, latest update is done. New version is V10A8500. Sorry, didn't get the TSIB#.

Didn't have a lot of time to play with it, but it's much faster. We'll see how it does over the next couple of days.
How's the Navigation screen while driving? Is it still choppy? Like it's moving frame by frame? The ***8400 version is still choppy.
Old 10-16-13, 08:22 AM
redcupr
Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
How's the Navigation screen while driving? Is it still choppy? Like it's moving frame by frame? The ***8400 version is still choppy.
The "animation" of the nav screen while driving didn't change, not completely smooth. I'm happy with it as my previous nav system was a 2005 VW.

The speed increase came in the form a moving the mouse and going between screens.

My guess is they'll officially release the 8500 update next week, Lexus of Bellevue had just received a package with that update in it on Monday. And I guess since I've been a willing guinea pig and provide them with feedback of the problem, they went ahead and installed in on my car.
Old 10-16-13, 09:28 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is annoying is that they're not typically being pro-active about these software updates, either. You have to file a complaint with service and they have to confirm that your nav system is slow before running the update (at least according to my local dealership).

If the Enform system can update OTA, and the whole Tesla Model S car can update OTA, there is NO reason that this cannot be an OTA update. It's kind of ridiculous.
Old 10-16-13, 10:45 AM
WhiteISWay
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Does the radio change faster now?

Are you emailing your dealer or lexus corporate to notify them of problems? If it's corporate, can you share their address?
Old 10-16-13, 12:05 PM
redcupr
Driver

Originally Posted by WhiteISWay
Does the radio change faster now?

Are you emailing your dealer or lexus corporate to notify them of problems? If it's corporate, can you share their address?
Yes, the radio does change channels/modes faster.

I'm just calling my service advisor at my dealer. Ive also CC'd the service director on a few emails so he knows whats going on.
Old 10-16-13, 01:15 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redcupr
The "animation" of the nav screen while driving didn't change, not completely smooth. I'm happy with it as my previous nav system was a 2005 VW.

The speed increase came in the form a moving the mouse and going between screens.

My guess is they'll officially release the 8500 update next week, Lexus of Bellevue had just received a package with that update in it on Monday. And I guess since I've been a willing guinea pig and provide them with feedback of the problem, they went ahead and installed in on my car.
I see that sucks. My navigation on my tablet and on my previous car was so much smoother. The animation on this navi is worse than that of the 8 bit Nintendo. the f8ck....
Old 10-16-13, 01:27 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

^^ you should definitely file a complaint.. i'm sure you're not the only one.. but it will be better once more people test and file bugs.
Old 10-16-13, 03:05 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. File complaints. I want this fixed before they build my car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NAVIGATION SLOWNESS- Resolved