IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

NAVIGATION SLOWNESS- Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 03:55 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well shouldn't the new FW be out that you were mentioning? That is newer than the V10A8500?
Old 12-05-13, 04:01 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexlude
well shouldn't the new FW be out that you were mentioning? That is newer than the V10A8500?
Received the following from the service manager of a dealer I have an appointment with for same tomorrow:

"I checked with my shop foreman and the update we currently have which applies to your vehicle is from September, which would update it to the 8500 version you currently state you have. Every other update we have does not apply to your vehicle. We have not received any recent updates for the 2014 IS350 AWD and are not aware of any coming to us in the future. We will not be able to do anything further for you at this time."

I e-mailed him back asking he contact the person from corporate I've been speaking with. I also left a voicemail with the person from corporate asking he contact the service manager.

Not happy to hear dealer is unaware, but let's see what happens.

Think they may be confusing 'software' vs. 'firmware', as I've been told 8500 remains...
Old 12-05-13, 04:24 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alexlude
I'm running that right now, to be honest, it's gotten worse than before.

Worked fine after I released and renewed the BT connection, next thing you know it started happening more frequently.
Old 12-05-13, 04:26 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by waxy
I'm running that right now, to be honest, it's gotten worse than before.

Worked fine after I released and renewed the BT connection, next thing you know it started happening more frequently.
You have the new 'firmware' not 'software'!? Or did you go from 8XXX to 8500??

If you have the new 'firmware' can you please provide information re. same??

The SIB / TSB number and/or version number and/or post a copy of the repair order.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-13, 04:28 PM
iPinky
Driver

Checked firmware of my nav, and this is what shows. I took ownership of the car last week. I'm guessing this is the latest? Or if not, then they haven't updated the cars on their lot.

I also have issues with playing music from the Pandora app. Music will pause randomly, noticeably when reception switches from LTE to 4G. I will have to manually press play either from my iPhone or on the screen. I also get iPod error as well as tethering error. There is a lag in navigating through between menus and within menus.
Attached Thumbnails NAVIGATION SLOWNESS- Resolved-photo-1.jpg  
Old 12-05-13, 04:35 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

I believe that's just the 'software' version.

Unfortunately, corporate wouldn't give me details as to 'firmware' version.

Did state it was available as of about 2 weeks ago and that there's a SIB / TSB on same...?

From what I understand there's 'hardware' which is the physical equipment, 'software' which are the programs that we interact with and 'firmware' which is a tertiary level of programming that enables 'software' to communicate with 'hardware', similar to BIOS on a personal computer. If anyone has a better explanation, I'm all ears...

Last edited by dbs600; 12-05-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-06-13, 09:03 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dbs600
You have the new 'firmware' not 'software'!? Or did you go from 8XXX to 8500??

If you have the new 'firmware' can you please provide information re. same??

The SIB / TSB number and/or version number and/or post a copy of the repair order.

Thanks.
I went from 8300 initially when I picked up the vehicle in July, and it was updated to 8500.
My service documents had more to repair than the software itself.

This is unrelated but...

For some reason, my driver side window makes a loud grinding sound when I roll up my window.
Lexus said they took the entire door apart, checked the motor and stated everything is normal.

I told them I'm not accepting the confirmation of the repair until it's fixed, then they told me there's a case open for a recall. I had to use a loaner for over a week while it was being repaired.
Old 12-06-13, 10:19 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

In retrospect, I should have posted on this thread. To the moderator, sorry, my bad. Here goes:

My Nav update may be killing my hard drive. This is what my dealer is telling me. Ever since my nav update for slowness a couple of weeks ago, my Nav/audio system will go black (intermittently) for about 15 seconds and then reboot. Never happened prior to the update.

The cure: rip out the entire system and replace it b/c the new update may be destroying the hard drive. Down time for diagnosis/replacement is one week. Lexus evidently thinks the most recent update is buggy and potentially fatal to the audio/nav systems.

Has anybody heard of this problem and this rather drastic cure? Frankly, I'm hesitant about replacing the entire system. There must be an easier cure.

I did get a few responses when I posted this as a separate thread, but no one so far has received this kind of feedback from a dealer. I did appreciate the responses though.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-09-13, 04:07 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

So this is strange:

As stated, a tech manager at corporate stated there’s a “firmware” update for the “RC2” system, that same had been released to dealers and that there’s a bulletin on same, although he wouldn’t reveal the bulletin number, stating the dealer can easily find same!?

I bought my car to the dealer, but the service manager and shop foreman state they’ve searched and can't find any updates for my vehicle and they've never heard of the “RC2” system. Wasn’t easy, but I pleaded with them to contact the tech manager, which they reluctantly did; they also called their Regional Technical Engineer (“RTE”).

Then they came out to the waiting area, where they asked me to wait, and stated their RTE states a fix is in the works, but that nothing’s been released. They also took the stance it was a waste to reach out to the tech manager, as he wasn’t helpful, which I was confused about, but didn’t press them on same, and left off that they'll investigate further and will be in touch with me when they have more info.

I received a call from the service manager today stating the RTE will be at the dealer on Wednesday and that he’d like me to bring my car to document my concerns. Unfortunately, I’m busy this week and need to reschedule, but he went on to state the fix will likely be replacement of the entire Enform / Navigation module!? I asked if he found out what the “RC2” system is and he said yes, that the RTE states it’s the system firmware version and that it needs to be updated. I asked why the firmware can’t be updated without replacing the entire module and he said it may be months before there’s an update and they’re just replacing whole units at this time!?

Replacing the whole unit seems drastic! Anyone have additional insight?

Otherwise, I’m still not sure if this fixes the slow / delayed Enform system, the choppy / not smooth Navigation system or both. They’re indirectly leading me to believe it’s only the choppy / not smooth Navigation system!

Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 12-11-13 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 04:33 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

here is my THEROY
I think the reason they are saying they want to replace the entire system is because they now realize the processor used is incapable of meeting the processing speed they need to resolve the problem for the speed and likely the choppy map movement.

the firmware updates they speak of resolve or should resolve the lock ups and other problems mentioned here.

either way I am glad to hear someone is doing something to fix it and not sweeping the issue under the rug.
if they have to replace it then replace it.
Old 12-09-13, 06:29 PM
splat0023
Rookie

I had the update done as well a couple of weeks ago and now i am getting the random reboots as well . The car is going in on Wednesday to see if they can diagnose the problem ect but i have a feeling they aren't gonna be able to fix it and give it back at the end of the day.
Old 12-09-13, 07:46 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
here is my THEROY...
So you believe this to be more of a hardware issue than a software / firmware one?

Would rather them just say 'we need to replace the hardware' instead of 'we need to update the software', especially since some have been through multiple software updates to no avail. Guess it's a work in progress.

Also find the conflicting info / misinformation between corporate and dealer strange.

Would love to hear feedback from those who've had their modules replaced.

Otherwise, all signs point to Denso...

Last edited by dbs600; 12-09-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-12-13, 01:52 PM
redcupr
Driver

Originally Posted by redcupr
Here's the latest with my radio/nav system. Today it restarted itself 4 times in 20 minutes, the last time the system went blank for about a minute and the screen showed an image of a memory card and said something like "System loading, do not turn off".

Called my service advisor, they're ordering a new radio unit for me. I'm not convinced that this will resolve anything, but we'll see.
Got the replacement radio unit installed today. I have yet to connect my phone to it (the bluetooth connection seems to be what causes most of the restarts).

I checked and it's running the 8400 version of the software, my original unit had been upgraded to 8500. I'll leave it at 8400 since 8500 seem to be making everything worse over time.

The overall speed of the system seems better. I had an ES350 loaner while they replaced the radio, that system is very speedy by comparison.

Since it's a new unit I had XM Radio again (I had let the subscription expire). But once I shut the car off and restarted it, that went away (all I get is the preview channel). Oh well, it doesn't work too well around here anyway, too far north and too many trees.
Old 12-12-13, 02:59 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redcupr
Got the replacement radio unit installed today. I have yet to connect my phone to it (the bluetooth connection seems to be what causes most of the restarts).

I checked and it's running the 8400 version of the software, my original unit had been upgraded to 8500. I'll leave it at 8400 since 8500 seem to be making everything worse over time.

The overall speed of the system seems better. I had an ES350 loaner while they replaced the radio, that system is very speedy by comparison.

Since it's a new unit I had XM Radio again (I had let the subscription expire). But once I shut the car off and restarted it, that went away (all I get is the preview channel). Oh well, it doesn't work too well around here anyway, too far north and too many trees.
Mine goes to the dealer Saturday--they want it for a week and will replace the radio. Interestingly, I never had problems with Pandora, just with the random shutoffs/restart (and that only after getting the update).

Red, you're one of the first to have your radio replaced, so please keep us posted if you continue to have problems. I sure hope Lexus can figure this out...
Old 12-12-13, 03:14 PM
redcupr
Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
Replacement unit has 8400!?

Have you asked the dealer why?
I didn't ask why they left the new radio on the 8400 software. I'll ask him when he calls to check up on me.

I'll post updates as I use the new radio and let everyone know of anything good or bad.

Quick Reply: NAVIGATION SLOWNESS- Resolved